Thread: 98 C5 program to 01

98 C5 program to 01

I have a 98 C5. I know one way to go to the newer program from lets say an 01 is to change the ECM. I read where someone else put an 02 file in their 99 camaro. Can I do the same? or is changing the ECM the only way to use the newer program?
    Last edited by bcar; 05-18-2009 at 01:03 PM.

You can not just change the file unless you have a '99 or newer.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I always miss it by one year. Do you know off the top of your head if the logging the wideband through the EGR will work on this year model?

Senior Tuner
    Actually, it's VERY simple to swap to a '99-'02 pcm on your C5. Please see my post #2 and #4 here:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...985#post168985
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

I found a PCm on ebay cheap but they guy wanted to charge me way too much to set it up for me, he knew I had a HP tuner but was telling me that he had to program the vin and delete some other stuff. I was guessing programming the vin was all I needed but I didnt know for sure.

Senior Tuner
    That's a cheap pcm, and I doubt he wanted more than $100 to program it, right? $200 or less is a VERY cheap price for a pcm programmed to your VIN.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    That's a cheap pcm, and I doubt he wanted more than $100 to program it, right? $200 or less is a VERY cheap price for a pcm programmed to your VIN.
    The new PCM must have the right vin or it wont work right?
    Black Pontiac Trans Am WS.7- Runs on E85

And soon to be powered by Twin Turbos.

How to run your LS1 on E85

Right now I would just be happy to know what pin the EGR is, I know it is 55 on the newer ECM but I am not sure on the older

I found it Pin 9

After more thought and problems I am swapping the PCM. I talked to the guy slling them and he said he had less problems doing a swap like this if I went to a 99 PCM. He put my VIN in it with a tech II. Will I have any problems reading or writing to the new PCM? or will it give me an Invalid pair error since it is a 98 VIN? will I have to relicense it?

well it wont let me read the pcm. Is it because it has a 98 VIN? Here is a screenshot

Senior Tuner
    The pcm needs to be flashed with a VIN from a '99 to '03 pcm. I'd suggest at least an '01 to '03 (the '04 pcm was different). However, the '01+ all shared the same MAF (85mm), which was different than the '97-'00, so make sure you use the correct MAF transfer as a starting point for the MAF that you have. Also, the '97-'98 and '01+ all had larger injectors than the '99-'00.

Also, please tell me that you took the time to rewire the entire harness connections, right? Did you see my previous post up above? Again, as I said above in post #4, please see my post #2 and #4 here

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...985#post168985

Here's the shortcut:

http://www.efialchemy.com/db/02to97pcm/02to97PCM.html

If you didn't do this, it'll NEVER work! However, I am fairly sure you did.
    Last edited by RWTD; 07-06-2009 at 02:43 AM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Yes I re pinned the harness. I was afraid that was the problem. Any Idea is a dealer can re flash it for me? All I would be able to do is bring them the PCM.

Senior Tuner
    You'd need a bench flasher to do this. We can do it for you if you want. I'll send you a PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Thanks

Thanks for your help. I called the guy I bought it from and he is sending me another one that has a matching VIN/OS pair. The only VIN I could come up with on short notice was for a 99, so I will have to use it atleast until I can get my tuner to connect. As it sounds you have done several of these conversions. Have you done a 98 vette? If so should I just turn off the mil for the fuel tank pressure sensor ( think that was it). Also have you noticed the GM manual has a misprint saying I have 2 #2 injectors? One is supposed to be ignition. Also the colors for the wires are all correct except for a few of the ignition wires?
    btw I cross referenced my wiring with a 99 vette

Senior Tuner
    You could have swiped ANY VIN from the HPT repository. Just do a search for a 2001, 2002, or 2003. You'll get more idle parameter resolution with a newer OS, as well.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Yea I could do that. Any comments on my wiring questions?