Thread: 2016 Ford Focus RS

Tuner in Training

2016 Ford Focus RS

Hi All.

The new Focus RS is using the same (almost) 2.3L ecoboost engine as the Mustang.

I cannot find info if the ECU is the same.

I connected my laptop and HP tuner to the ODB port, it can connect and read but ask me which type of ECU it is on a list of around 30 choices (I try some but failed). Is there someone here who know if the ECU is the same ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cyruss View Post
    Hi All.

The new Focus RS is using the same (almost) 2.3L ecoboost engine as the Mustang.

I cannot find info if the ECU is the same.

I connected my laptop and HP tuner to the ODB port, it can connect and read but ask me which type of ECU it is on a list of around 30 choices (I try some but failed). Is there someone here who know if the ECU is the same ?

Thanks.
    Yes. The Focus RS uses a Tricore 1797-based ECU just like the 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info Bugasu I'll try tonight.

Advanced Tuner
    This is exciting! Keep the thread updated on what you can get out of the RS!

Kris

Potential Tuner
    Hi,

has anyone done a new Ford RS so far ?

I have a read from one already. We are going to support it, but I have no ETA yet. I am finishing adding support for something else at the moment.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Just got me one of these - fantastic vehicle so far (500 miles). Haven't read it yet, but I see that it's on the supported list now. Anyone have experience tuning these things yet?

Guys I have been tuning my RS2 (TC 1797) with HP Tuners since the day I received it.. So far at 26psi we are at 338HP/419TQ with just a custom tune and no bolt ons.. The guys at Hurricane Performance in Orange Park installed one of Next Levels Intercoolers last week and my Downstream temps went from ambient of 96F to 149F @26psi to Ambient 64F and Downstream of 64F to 118F...... Dyno testing again soon!!
    Last edited by Tony@HPPerformanceInc; 10-25-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    TonY G
    TunersInc,
    164 College Dr
    Orange Park FL 32065
    904-276-7223

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony@HPPerformanceInc View Post
    Guys I have been tuning my RS2 (TC 1797) with HP Tuners since the day I received it.. So far at 26psi we are at 338HP/419TQ with just a custom tune and no bolt ons.. The guys at Hurricane Performance in Orange Park installed one of Next Levels Intercoolers last week and my Downstream temps went from ambient of 96F to 149F @26psi to Ambient 64F and Downstream of 64F to 118F...... Dyno testing again soon!!
    Any updates Tony? Impressive #'s so far

Senior Tuner
    What kind of torque numbers is considered safe on these stock bottom ends or is it still on question? I wasn't sure if maybe they are the same as the Mustang internally so that information is known or not. Seems like an awesome setup. Having a good factory ECU should make it easy to keep upping top end but not low end torque when things like bolt on turbos and kits become more available.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    What kind of torque numbers is considered safe on these stock bottom ends or is it still on question? I wasn't sure if maybe they are the same as the Mustang internally so that information is known or not. Seems like an awesome setup. Having a good factory ECU should make it easy to keep upping top end but not low end torque when things like bolt on turbos and kits become more available.

Some well known pro-tuners are keeping the torque around 400 - even though they've been able to make 440+ ft/lb torque with tunes. I think the 400 # is what they've "deemed" safe for the RDU - due to the overheating/shutting off issues that some RS owners had during the summer.

Update, a little late but we are at 343HP and 442TQ now and just received the Turbosmart WG with spring set to what I requested.. Once I get this installed I am aiming for 365HP, 450TQ.. Car is a blast to drive!!
    TonY G
    TunersInc,
    164 College Dr
    Orange Park FL 32065
    904-276-7223