Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wideband and hpt eio hookup

Tuner

wideband and hpt eio hookup

where does the hpt eio box go? inside or outside the vehicle. according to soundengineers diagram my LC-1 needs to have several wires connected to the eio box, but i don't know how to route the wires? i don't have my eio box yet, so i'm going to run all the wires and tape them, but i don't know where to put them? also, how does the eio box connect into the hpt cable? for example, the hpt cable goes from the obdii port, to the laptop, so where does eio box get connected in at? thanks guys, i'm in the garage working now, so quick replies would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS.
    2003 Silverado SS -6.0L - 4L65e - AWD
    2008 GMC Sierra CCSB - All stock
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Advanced Tuner
    The EIO box is inside the EIO cable (its all one unit). There is a box on the cable, that is the translator unit and EIO box. It has wire connectors on the side. You want to keep that inside your vehicle, and disconnected when not used. The wire connectors clip in to the side of the unit, and are removable for easy use.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

you're probably going to want to mount the LC-1 box outside the cab and run the wires into it. also run two grounds up to your engine block, one for the blue O2 sensor heater ground and the other for all the other grounds. the OBDII cable goes from the OBDII port to the HP Tuners box. another cable runs out of the HPT box and terminates in a USB plug that goes into the laptop. the only wires you need to hook to to your EIO connector is the brown LC-1 wire and the ground from the non-blue wire bundle ground. the LC-1 brown wire and ground wire go into a green plug that plugs into the side of the HPT box. remember to not run your vehicle with the wide band O2 sensor unpowered.

Tuner
    thanks guys, that info helped alot.
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Tuner
    is there any chance you guys can post pics of how your setup is connected? i think if i could actually see someones EIO connected to the LC-1 that would be VERY helpful. thanks guys.
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Tuner
    i have another question on the LC-1. how do i connect my laptop to it to program the output rate if it is connected to the XD-16 gauge?
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Tuner
    ok, so i'm down in my garage again, and i got everything hooked up. i think its all correct, but i can't get my hpt scanner to see my wb. what configurations do i need to make for my wb to log with hpt?
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Tuner
    for some reason my hpt scanner chart display is reading a constant of 11.30 a/f ratio. i know this isn't right. even if i hit the gas or something, it reads a straight 11.30 like its not getting any signal from my LC-1 or something. somebody please help.
    2011 Chevy Traverse

you need to double check th eoutput of the wideband with a multimeter...
    make sure its doing something...

also if you have teh status LED hooked up..it can tell you if its working properly or just stuck in a heat up mode or an error mode.

make sure you output in the scanner is in teh right box(EIO1 EIO2 EIO3 EIO4 ???)
    and that you are conected properly...do you haev the yellow or the brown wire??
    the brown is your wideband side..the yellow is for narrowband...
    all grounds going to the EIO ground??? except for heater ground...heater ground need to hit chassis somewhere...you can use the cig lighter to conect heater power and ground if you want..I do
    see my writeup in the stickies to double check yourself..it shows both wideband and narrowband hookup of an LC1 to the EIO...
    I you have a serial interface then the only difference will be the 2nd ground (pin 6) is actually a +5volt output(200ma max) on teh serial inerface and a ground on the USB ..
    ou can also check for voltage on your EIO by checking it with a AA battery...touch your + to EIO in 1 and your ground to the ground...you can log RAW VOLTAGE in the scanner and make sure your EIO is working correctly.

and as far as where to put the box....

I made this box thingy(in pic below)
    basically my EIO sits next to it..my LC1 is inside...
    I run an extension cable from innovate that I clipped off the multipin end and ut on teh o2 end...so my o2 is under the car..and wire runs up through the door hinge crack ind into the car...my black box sits on the floor in the passenger seat along with my eio..
    the EIO is a tap screw terminal...and I have quick connectors(pictured on box) that connect the EIO and the LC1
    wideband output(brown) to pin 1(analog EIO 1) and all grounds to pin 5(eio ground)...then as i stated above....heater power and heater ground to the cig ligter via teh screw terminals on my box...

makes it very portable
    Last edited by S2H; 05-06-2006 at 06:23 PM.
    -Scott -

Tuner
    dude, thanks ALOT for your help, but i finally figured it out. when i added the PID for the WB to the hpt scanner, i kept using the default PID built into the scanner for a LC-1. Well, that built in LC-1 PID dosn't work, or atleast not in my scanner anyway. i added the LM-1 PID into EIO input 1 in my chart display and it works fine now. all my wiring wasn't even the problem. which really sucks because i spen HOURS wiring and soldering wires to make all the connections PERFECT and EXACTLY like your diagram.
    2011 Chevy Traverse

might send a note to ken or keith an see fi they can help you figure out why the generic LC1 pid doesnt work on yours
    -Scott -

Tuner
    you guys want to see something CRAZY, take a look at THIS scan. pay special attention to my A/F ratio. LOL
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Tuner
    also, is the studs on the firewall where the hood ground strap a good ground? i have two studs on my firewall about 4 inches apart. i have the LC-1 green and white wires, as well as the EIO ground1 going to one stud, then the blue heater ground going to the other stud. is this my problem? these studs have the braided cable that connect to the engine block, so shouldn't they be the best ground? is this causing my wb02 oscillation problem seen in my above scan? should i connect the green, white, and EIO grounds directly to the battery? how about the blue heater ground directly to the battery? lets say, i move the bundle of gorunds to the battery neg. since the blue heater ground needs to be near by, but not exactly in the same place, where should i move it to? please help, this is killing me. i've been working on this ALL day. I REALLY REALLY need to log my WB data.
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Tuner
    bump for help needed. thanks!
    2011 Chevy Traverse

as long as your Green and white go to the same spot...then the LC1 is usually happy..
    but it helps if all grounds(except for heater ground) go to data loger and heater gets chassis ground
    if they all go to a chassis ground..its probably ok as well...you just need to check for dc ground offsets
    -Scott -

Tuner
    hey man, thanks for the reply. My green and white do indeed go to the same spot, AND my EIO is grounded to the same place as the green and white wires. blue heater wire goes to the chassis.

Thank you for replying. I have calibrated the heater and the sensor several times now and am still getting the erratic readings. I have the green and white ground wires grouned to the engine block, and the blue heater wire grounded to the engine block on a different bolt near the other ground. I have the brown wires going to my HPTuners EIO interface into input 1, then my EIO interface grounded at the same place as the green and white LC-1 wires. I know all my connections are good, I triple checked everything and soldered all the connections securely. I know it’s the LC-1 output that is erratic because my XD-16, my HPT scanner, and my Logworks scanner all show the erratic readings that the LC-1 is outputting.
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Advanced Tuner
    You stated that the EIO is grounded. Do you mean through the DTC connector?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

yes...grounded by OBD2 port
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    So, would it make sense to ground the heater ground to the back of the DTC or would the engine block or neg battery terminal be better?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Ideally to the PCM as its what you wil have as a reference ground anyways...
    so back of Diagnostics port is fine...or to the same ground as teh pcm is bolted to
    -Scott -