Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible 2 step for stick shift cars...

Re: Possible 2 step for stick shift cars...

YOu have to change the one in the *rpm vs gear* table too. open that one up and change the P/N setting to whatever you want.
    02 Formula M6

For the P/N limit, I set both the limit and re-enable at 3000 rpms.

However, I have a V6 with a M5, it might be different for the M6.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by QUASAR
    YOu have to change the one in the *rpm vs gear* table too. open that one up and change the P/N setting to whatever you want.

AHHHH .... I gotcha. I'll change that and see what happens.

I'm in Bowling Green at the Camaro / Firebird Invasion. If anyone is around, look me up. I'm in the Black WS6. ;D

I would set cutoff to 3000, and re enable to 2999. It might not work correctly if you dont do it like that. I havent tried though.
    02 Formula M6

Tuner in Training

I tried it today on a 2001 WS6, 6-speed ... it didn't work right.

We went into the RPM vs Gear and set the P/N rev limiter to 2000 with re-enable at 1990. No matter what, the rev limiter was 2000. When you would try to drive, you were limited to 2000 RPM.

Y'all say it works? Anyone test it on a T56 tranny in an LS1 car?

Here is what the tables look like on the V6 and it works great.

2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Mine is set 3000 and 2999 and works fine. I have it changed in the 2 places you can change it though.

When I would try and drive it would let me rev up fine, but if I push the clutch in or put the stick in neutral the 3000 limit would enable.
    02 Formula M6

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by arthansen
    Here is what the tables look like on the V6 and it works great.
    It's different on the T-56 tranny.

Quasar, you've got this working on the T-56 tranny? I guess I'll try it again.

Tuner in Training

OK, I give up. I've tried changing the values shown in these images, and it does the same thing on 2 different cars. Changing one or the other, or both ... same thing. Clutch in / clutch out, in gear, out of gear ... the RPM's are limited to the value entered.

What am I missing?

I don't understand. You are saying that "the RPM's are limited to the value entered". That is the whole point. When sitting still (such as at the start line at the track), you can push the peddle all you want and it will not go above the set P/N RPM. Then when you let the clutch out, the RPMs are no longer governed by the P/N value and the RPMs go up. This gives you a consistant launch.

That is exactly what we are trying to do. Did I miss understand what you said?
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Tuner in Training

you can push the peddle all you want and it will not go above the set P/N RPM. Then when you let the clutch out, the RPMs are no longer governed by the P/N value and the RPMs go up.
    That's what I ***WANT*** it to do. However, on 2 different cars, using 2 different HPTuners cables/software, it does the same thing.

I am limited to whatever value I enter in the marked P/N fields ... period ... no matter if the clutch is in or out, in gear or in neutral. When I let off the clutch and start driving, I'm still limited to whatever value is in the P/N field.

Quasar said that it works on his Formula with the M6 tranny. Did he change something different from me?

Or, do I just need to wait until the car "warms up" and the temp reaches a certain point?

I agree, this **should** work, but I can't make it happen.

You've done everything that I have. Have you ever messed with the trip switch that lets the car know the clutch is in? Only thing I could think of is that the car doesn't know the clutch is out?

02 Formula M6

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by QUASAR
    You've done everything that I have. Have you ever messed with the trip switch that lets the car know the clutch is in? Only thing I could think of is that the car doesn't know the clutch is out?

I would think that if the switch was goofed up, then the car wouldn't start. Also, it did it on two different 2001 WS6 cars, with 2 different software/cable setups on the 2 laptops.

Keith? You got any input on this one?

On my car, the clutch or the gear seems to make no difference. If the car is stopped (VSS=0) the limit is set to 3000 (no matter what the clutch or trans is doing). Once I am rolling (VSS>0) then I can rev all I want (up to 6300). It seems to do with the speed of the car. Just something to think about.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

On my car, the clutch or the gear seems to make no difference. If the car is stopped (VSS=0) the limit is set to 3000 (no matter what the clutch or trans is doing). Once I am rolling (VSS>0) then I can rev all I want (up to 6300). It seems to do with the speed of the car. Just something to think about.
    I wish that was how it worked on my car. Obviously there must be differences in the VCM's between different years and models. Like I have said before, the P/N rev limit works on my car whenever vss=0mph, or when rolling if the car is in neutral or the clutch is in. As long as my clutch is out and I'm moving, I've got my regular 6400 limit.

I wouldn't get your panties in a bunch anyways, if you throttle the car with too much TPS, the fuel cutoff is not really fast enough to accomplish what you want to do. If you want to slowly bounce off say a 3000rpm limit to take off, you end up giving it so little throttle (so that it can bouce quicker) that the feature is really not needed at that point, you might as well just rev the car up yourself and hold it where you want.
    02 Formula M6

You are right about not wanting to Floor it. I use a light touch on the peddle and the car softly "bounces" off the 3000 rpm limit. The advantage is I do not have to look at the tach to launch. I can hold it at 3000 just by listening. As I release the clutch, I increase throttle pressure and it gives me a good launch. Haven't tried it at the track yet but it works great on those deserted airstrips I visit in Mexico .
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Worked on an 00 car. The PCM didn't seem to care if I was stopped or rolling. As long as the clutch is in, the P/N rev limiter is working.

The question is.... What happens when you are 6k rpms and push the clutch in to shift?? Seems to me that the limiter would hit.

Not on the V6. It seems to only care if the car is moving or not.

However, on the V8s, it seems like the clutch might control it. If so, it would go to the lower limit but only for a fraction of a second while the clutch was all the way down. I doubt this would effect anything but you will need to test it. Times at the track would be the best indication.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Dunno 'bout you guys but I don't want to take something new like this to the track and risk engine damage. I'd like to know more about what causes that limiter to work and whether it cuts some/all of fuel/spark.

the limiter is a complete fuel cutoff to all injectors.

I count sheep in hex...