Thread: Time Format Problem

Tuner in Training

Question Time Format Problem

Hi All.

I have a slight problem with time. I have search the web, this forum and you tube, to no avail.
    I am importing a file from a Drone (Phantom 3) and converted it to CSV file on the HealthyDrone web Site.
    Most of the data is ok.
    The time header in the CSV file is 'datetime(utc)' and the format is '2016-07-04 9:56:00 PM'
    So I add a 'Text Data' item on my template or display and associate it to the 'datetime(utc)' field of the data file, in it's Display Object Properties table. The problem is instead of showing '2016-07-04 9:56:00 PM' it shows me '1467591719.00'. I have noticed that this number is updated by one (Integer) every minute.

I have tried to modify the 'Session Time' in the 'Configure Input File' window with no results.

So the question is what is this '1467591719.00'? Time since the start of the year or century or big bang??? .

I am all ears and eyes.

Thanks for your help.

Bat
    Last edited by Capbat; 07-10-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capbat View Post
    So the question is what is this '1467591719.00'? Time since the start of the year or century or big bang??? .
    You're close... It's known as an "epoch" time, which is the count of seconds since midnight January 1, 1970. Most computer clocks keep time using values that fit into this system. There's a bit more info, and an conversion tool to play with, here: http://www.epochconverter.com

To display a time like this in RaceRender, press the "Add" button under the "Display Objects" section, select the "Timer" option, then set the Data Field selection at the top to your time data, and choose the one that says "Timer - Hours". You should then have a display showing the hours, minutes, and seconds in 24-hour format. However, in some cases, the time zone may be off, due to conversion to/from UTC, depending on what your data system did.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again Weston I will check it out.

Bat

Potential Tuner

Timezone adjustment

Wanted to share my hint on how I converted the UTC time to U.S. Pacific time. Right now the difference between UTC and Pacific is 7 hours or 25,200 seconds. So in the Timer object properties window hit the "Config" button next to the Input field. In the Configure input file window create a new Calculated Field (in the bottom section). Select the input field to be the date time (UTC) and then add or subtract the number of seconds offset in your timezone from UTC. In my case I subtract 25,200. This gives me the time in U.S. Pacific. Close the Configure and then in the Field on the Timer object properties select the new Calculated field you just created.

Quote Originally Posted by Capbat View Post
    Thanks again Weston I will check it out.

Bat

Potential Tuner The Aussie Viking's Avatar
    I have to say in my first effort I wanted a time stamp on my video (A ship sailing), and GPS time was not helpful as it didn't start logging until it got it's GPS bearings. My fix was to use a custom field of "Time" which started from 0000, used timer- Hours, and added the correct number of seconds as a calculation. Then as my clip is 19 Minutes long (Ship leaving a Harbour shot with a Panoramic Camera on the top deck). I then chucked it through Nero Vision and sped it up 10 times normal speed, and it looks awesome with the GPS course info, speed in Knots, bearing etc. as well as a map overlay of the Harbour.

It certainly wasn't what the usual application would be, but it certainly shows the flexibility and ease of use of the product!

Potential Tuner
    I would love to see an option with the Timer object to include a formatting string so that the date/time could be displayed in ANY format supported by the formatting strings. Could use the standard printf date formatting strings, or MYSQL, or Perl, or whatever language it's programmed in. Having the ability to customize the date/time display with a formatting string would be an awesome feature.

Quote Originally Posted by The Aussie Viking View Post
    I have to say in my first effort I wanted a time stamp on my video (A ship sailing), and GPS time was not helpful as it didn't start logging until it got it's GPS bearings. My fix was to use a custom field of "Time" which started from 0000, used timer- Hours, and added the correct number of seconds as a calculation. Then as my clip is 19 Minutes long (Ship leaving a Harbour shot with a Panoramic Camera on the top deck). I then chucked it through Nero Vision and sped it up 10 times normal speed, and it looks awesome with the GPS course info, speed in Knots, bearing etc. as well as a map overlay of the Harbour.

It certainly wasn't what the usual application would be, but it certainly shows the flexibility and ease of use of the product!