Thread: Lastest update failded yesterday 7-10-2016

Potential Tuner

Lastest update failded yesterday 7-10-2016

I've used Track Addict several times this year, but yesterday was a total wipeout. I was using version 3.3.5. It would lock up, with a stuck spinning blue circle, during a recording session. It would stop because of too much vibration also.

My phone is a cheap Doogee X5, running Android 5.1. Previous versions ran just fine w/o problems.

Version 3.3.5 made only very minor changes over 3.3.4, which didn't make any critical changes either, so my first suspicion would be that it wasn't related to the update, and there may have been some outside factor affecting your experience. Having it stop due to excess vibration would also point to a hardware problem, as there's nothing within the app's programming that would use the accelerometers to trigger it to stop (the only accelerometer trigger we have is to start recording when using the auto-start feature in Segment or Drag Race mode). Another thing to consider is that sometimes excess heat can cause some phones to lock up, shut down, or otherwise behave improperly, and that can vary greatly between phone models... That situation does affect this type of app more than others, being that the phone is typically sitting under the car's windshield, exposed to the sun, and we do make use of more hardware than most apps.

So, there are a few things to do here...

1) Rebooting your phone may help clear out any other apps or services that may have been temporarily lagging or interfering with TrackAddict.

2) Try keeping the phone cool, or at least out of direct sunlight or from sitting in a hot race car for a while.

3) Keep an eye out for app freezes or other odd behavior showing up in other apps. It may still be more prone to happen with this app than others, due to it utilizing more hardware and doing more.

4) If you still encounter problems, please be sure to click the "Report" button if Android ever prompts you about it (it may or may not)... That should send us a report via Google Play, that we can use to get some technical clues about what's happening. It would also be helpful if you could give details on which settings you were using at the time (Circuit/Segment/Drag mode?, were you recording video?, was live telemetry streaming enabled?), and if you had it using any external hardware (OBD-II, GPS, GoPro, etc). We didn't recently change anything related to that stuff, but I'll try to explore any possibility, if I have some clues to point me in a direction.

As of this evening, we've not received any crash or app-not-responding reports that could be related to this (for any app version), and we had successfully used version 3.3.5 extensively on several devices at the track just this past weekend, so I don't have any other reports or clues to work with at this time.

Potential Tuner
    I did have to reboot to clear the freezes, which happened twice. I was running segment mode in an autocross. No external hardware was running, but the phone was Bluetooth connected to my car for Sync. I don't have a data plan, and was miles from the nearest wi-fi. So, no live stream. And the phone totally locked up, so there wasn't a chance to report anything.

I will turn off Bluetooth and reboot before trying to record next time. And I'm going to get an insulated bag with a frozen item to keep my phone cool.