Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 CTS-V Idle Tuning

Tuner in Training

2010 CTS-V Idle Tuning

Greetings,

Long time lurker - second time poster here. I need some guidance on smoothing out the idle on my 2010 CTS-V, please.

It has upper/lower pulleys, modest cam with -9 degrees overlap, LS7 TB, CAI, post-boost meth/H2O injection, ZL1 lid, and tuning by me, a rookie tuner.

The idle is a little rough - it feels somewhat like a lean miss, but not a lope. If you look at the pic below, the left half is idling in gear and right half is in park. This is a screen capture from the attached log file. It's a 3-minute file where the car was warm started, driven around the block, and then parked in the garage to idle. There were four misses captured during this time. Idling starts in gear at the 2:26 point and continues in park at the 2:43 point.

Also, the O2 plots from the NB sensors are strange when idling or coasting. As soon as gas is applied, they smooth out.

The attached tune is currently set up as MAF only and is minimal until I get this figured out. Any help in fixing these issues is greatly appreciated.

2010 CTS-V Idle.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    you might try and check out these 2 threads and see if either of them are helpful.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...e-tuning-guide
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-perfect-idle!
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuner in Training
    Thanks or the suggestions, but I've already been through both those threads. I tried some of their procedures, but nothing changed. If I could figure out what's causing the erratic O2 spiking at idle I think I may be able to fix it. The WB indicates it's not an afr issue, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Advanced Tuner
    do you have aftermarket exhaust? it could be your closed loop fueling or O2 settings. if it swings too often it can make the engine surge. I have pretty indepth thread I started about NB O2 settings with headers. mmaybe there are some answers in there. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...g-with-Headers

hope this helps but maybe not, I don't have a cam for what its worth.

OK, I just looked at your log again and I would bet that's what the problem is. I bet whats happening is that because of your cam it has put you in a different airflow mode in your closed loop settings and is swinging to often at idle. you might try either changing your airflow mode to the left (decreasing it some) or increasing your integrator delay table. i would bet you have moved up to the airflow table 8 at idle and its just swinging far to often. if you look into that thread it may help give a better explanation.
    Last edited by JBZ; 07-15-2016 at 12:33 PM.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    do you have aftermarket exhaust?
    Stock exhaust manifolds, hi-flow cats, replaced crimped sections, and stock mufflers.

Thanks for the airflow mode suggestion. I'll check out that thread.

Tuner in Training
    I read through that thread and there are some new concepts that I still need to wrap my head around, so more reading is needed.

I started with your basic changes first:

Proportional Airflow x 0.8
    Integrator x 1.4
    Airflow Mode table to match DOD values

Then I did a cold start, drove around the block, and let it idle for about a minute. It still idles a little rough and there were still misfires, but the NB O2 plots look much better (see pic below). It looks like we're headed in the right direction. What to change next?

2010 CTS-V Idle Rev1.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    So its probably best to determine where your idle falls in the airflow mode table. Then try and take your idle integral number...like 1200 something and put that in the cell that your seeing your actual idle airflow. Im guessings its now in the 8 cell. Just try that to see what it does for you, easy enough to go back to what you had.

So i noticed in your screenshot the idle spark advance goes up and down with rich lean swings. So if you can extend the timeframe between swings (i.e. Integrator delay) that may reduce the surging. I will look at the log later tonight on my pc, on the pad now.
    Last edited by JBZ; 07-15-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Tuner in Training
    So i noticed in your screenshot the idle spark advance goes up and down with rich lean swings.
    Yes, I saw that in previous logs. That's what made me postulate there was an afr issue, in spite of what the WB was indicating. I'll await your further review. Thanks again.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Da-Grump View Post
    Yes, I saw that in previous logs. That's what made me postulate there was an afr issue, in spite of what the WB was indicating. I'll await your further review. Thanks again.
    Go ahead and give it a shot and see what it does for you...again worst case scenario is nothing so you can put it right back

Tuning Addict
    JBZ, could you go over a step by step on the best way to adjust the airflow modes I'm always interested in learning and you seem to have made some pretty good leaps on this...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Go ahead and give it a shot and see what it does for you...again worst case scenario is nothing so you can put it right back
    Sorry, give what a shot? Are you saying increase the values in the Integrator Delay Airflow table?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Da-Grump View Post
    Sorry, give what a shot? Are you saying increase the values in the Integrator Delay Airflow table?
    so its looks to me like you landing in cell 8 at idle based off of your MAF (LB/HR at the end of the log) so what I'm suggesting is putting the entire integrator delay table back to factory values...for now. then take cell 0 (value = 1127.625) and copy that into cell 8. just see if that helps...no guarantees.

if I take a look at your log file and compare it to mine at the same zoom your is switching a lot faster and most likely is contributing to your problem. there are a few other thing that you may try to stabilize your idle, you could raise your idle RPM a little bit and raise your idle timing by a degree or two as well to see if that helps.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the concise instructions - I'll give that a try and report back.

I've played with idle RPM, base running airflow, timing, and the various adaptive idle parameters trying to resolve this. Nothing seemed to have an impact. Perhaps after your suggested tweak, they'll be more effective.

Tuner in Training
    so its looks to me like you landing in cell 8 at idle based off of your MAF (LB/HR at the end of the log) so what I'm suggesting is putting the entire integrator delay table back to factory values...for now. then take cell 0 (value = 1127.625) and copy that into cell 8. just see if that helps...no guarantees.
    Just did this - no discernible difference. The idle RPM swings actually felt a little worse. Next suggestion?

Tuner in Training
    One other quick thought - my Base Running Airflow is currently set at 1 g/sec over stock, and the idle timing is +2 degrees. Is that enough airflow to not influence these tests? My cam has 24 degrees more duration than stock, with -9 degrees overlap.
    Last edited by Da-Grump; 07-16-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    its still swinging way to fast, from the only spot I see logged at idle at the end of your log anyways. the integrator delay didnt change the swinging like it should. here is a screenshot of your log at idle and one of mine from yesterday. a couple of things to take note of, your maf trace (dark blue) your idle advance (white) and adaptive advance (green) all jump with the rich/lean swings. mine do to but not as dramatic as yours does. most likely it is the cam. you may be too low of an idle RPM, you may need to mess with your integrator delay, your timing and min idle airflow may not be ideal or the RPM error P&I gains may not be ideal, it could be many things...sorry but that's all I got.

you really need to get that KR taken care of, I would be wayyyyy more concerned about 5.2 degrees of knock retard your seeing than the unstable idle. you are seeing KR all over the place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    you really need to get that KR taken care of, I would be wayyyyy more concerned about 5.2 degrees of knock retard your seeing than the unstable idle. you are seeing KR all over the place.
    Crap! I uploaded the wrong file. That was a quick WOT test to check my baseline fueling. I had the meth/H2O injectors temporarily disabled.
    Here's the right file.

Tuner in Training
    Now I've taken your three table edits and added more idle airflow and 50 RPM, and put idle timing back to stock. This resulted is a noticeably smoother idle, but the O2 sensor data still looks strange. Also, there is some KR at idle. See pic. I noticed this on prior logs, too. Is this indicating that I'm still too lean?

2010 CTS-V Idle Rev3.jpg
    Last edited by Da-Grump; 07-16-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Tuning Addict
    O2 data looks like you might almost be misfiring?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    O2 data looks like you might almost be misfiring?
    Sometimes, but not always. When it does misfire, there will be 4-6 during a 5-minute log.