Thread: GM LS1 crate motor computer

GM LS1 crate motor computer

I'm having trouble working with the computer supplied by GM with one of thier crate motors. The paper work supplied says to treat it as a 98 F-body Automatic (With tech2 of course ), and I have 98 fbody. Niether one will read/write to computer, it won't even log it. All it will do is retrieve the VIN and read the battery voltage. The VIN is programmed as LS1 AUTO VER.0. When you try to talk to it, it gets as far as identifing the computer, and wigs out and stop after I assume they see the non standard VIN. I've tried everything from doing a complete reflash with an other 98 program to trying to just change the VIN thinking it would help. No dice, it won't let me do anything. I can scan it with a generic OBDII cable I have. Everything works, the car runs and drives we just need to change a few things specific to the installation.

I'm still using v1.7 because v2.x runs like a turd on my laptop. Is that computer supported in the later versions or do I need to add another vechical type.

email us the VCM Suite info file. For 1.7 it's under Help -> VCM Suite Info, Get Info, Save Info. It's possible the PCM may be locked in which case our software won't be able to read it or return it to stock.

Also, please note this announcement in regards to v1.x

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5661

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Thanks for the quick responce. I'll send the info as soon as I can lay hands on the car again. I didn't think you could lock a 98 computer?

As far as the v1.x phase out, does that mean after the 15th that I'll no longer be eligeble to upgrade to the new usb eio interface?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    it means what it says "Existing customers must upgrade to VCM Suite 2.1 (free) to receive new license additions for serial interfaces."

it has nothing to do with the hardware.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, I get a short number VIN-I just flash them with a donor regular stock file, and then program them. I use the tech2 when doing so.

GM LS1 crate motor computer

I too have been unable to read, re-flash anything on the LS1 Crate engine.
    I just bought a used 98 PCM and am going to put it in and go from there.
    If you guys figure out a way to tune that it will save some time and agravation!
    Mark
    Mark

if you use the Change VIN does that help?
    I count sheep in hex...

No, it fails when you try to change the vin. Won't let me do anything.

I'm going over to where the car is again tomorrow morning. I'll email the info you requested as soon as I get back.

Logged the results and here is what it did. I don't think its going to be much help...

Date: 09/04/04
    Hardware: 0001
    Firmware: 0306

VIN: LS-1 AUTO VERS.01
    Type: Unknown - VIN Error
    BCC: <unknown>
    SEG 1 ID: <unknown>
    SEG 2 ID: <unknown>
    SEG 3 ID: <unknown>
    SEG 4 ID: <unknown>
    SEG 5 ID: <unknown>
    SEG 6 ID: <unknown>
    SEG 7 ID: <unknown>
    SEG 8 ID: <unknown>
    Security: 0000

Advanced Tuner
    Odd
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Tuner in Training

Help on crate motor VCM please.

Hi,
    I'm reviving this thread because I have I have a crate motor and VCM.
    I've just installed my HPT 2.1.10 and am unable to even read the VCM.
    I get the 'verify cable is connected and key is in the run position.' error message. The interface has the power LED illuminated and a slowly flashing 'busy' LED, so that looks ok?
    Is there a way to rectify this?
    This is very urgent.
    Any help appreciated.
    Tom.
    Gardner Douglas T70 Can-Am racer replica.
    346 ci, Stg.2 5.3 heads, hotcam +1.8's, GMPP single plane manifold, Accel TB, custom headers, 42lb SVO's.
    Dry sump, no roof.
    Plenty fast