Thread: Can Session Time Be Changed to Start at Zero in Trimmed Final Video?

Tuner in Training

Can Session Time Be Changed to Start at Zero in Trimmed Final Video?

I'm still kind of a newbie, so I hope I have the terminology correct, and can adequately explain my question ...

I use a GoPro, TrackAddict on my iPhone, and then RaceRender to put together some videos of my infrequent trackdays. Here's one I did earlier this week, which should be useful in understanding my question: https://vimeo.com/179989063

I have TrackAddict start the GoPro's recording a little before what I actually want to preserve (while just getting into a line, for instance). Similarly, I tell TrackAddict to shut things down after the end of the useful part of the video. So when I have RaceRender generate the combined output -- the video from the GoPro, and the csv data from the phone -- I tell it to start the video a couple of minutes into the combination, and end a minute or so before the real end (using the two fields, Start and End, on the RaceRender generate-video options screen). For instance, in the video cited above, I start the generated output at something like 2:39 after I actually had TrackAddict tell the GoPro to do its thing.

Now, my question. Is there some way that I can have the time display in the final generated, combined, video start at 00:00:00?

I'm not interested in lap times and that sort of thing, even though the object I'm using in RaceRender for the csv data is called Lap Timer (or something like that).

When I go to point out something to someone -- say, in an email -- I write something like, "That happens after the video's been running for 5:12, which is when 7:46 appears in the lower right of the video."

The video players (most of them, anyway) will show the running time of the video ... although it's often in some tiny font. What I'd like to have happen is show that same running time on the screen, in the video itself. Yeah, I know, this is sort of redundant, but that's what I'd like.

It's my understanding, and from playing around, that the "offset" option doesn't really apply here, because the GoPro video and the phone csv data are beautifully in sync already.

So, is it possible to do what (I think) I'd like to see (assuming I've explained things clearly enough)?

Thanks,

Bill P.

It sounds like what you're wanting here is a manual timer. Here's one way to accomplish that:

1) Download this file to your computer: http://racerender.com/RR3/docs/Timer.csv (it's set to be about an hour long by default, but can be edited)
    2) Add it to your existing RaceRender project, and just cancel out of any data template menu that will appear for it.
    3) Right-click it in the Input Files list, and select "Add Display Object", select "Timer", and then choose something like "Timer - Hours" or "Timer - Standard".
    4) You should now have a timer display that shows the current project time. If you want to change when it starts, use the Synchronization Tool on it, and set the "Offset Within Project" option. (This will also cause it to disappear before that time in the project.)

Keep in mind that adding this timer file to your project may extend the project's overall length, so when creating your output file, be sure to only render the time span that you actually want... It's easiest to first use the green flag & red flag icons on the main screen to mark your desired start and end points.

Tuner in Training
    Weston: sounds like you understand what I'm trying to do. Thanks for the response -- I'll get back to you in a day or two, when I have some time to follow your instructions, and see how it goes.

Bill P.