Thread: extra logging input

Tuner in Training

extra logging input

I was wondering how I can log my wideband with my standard interface and with some ingenuity I got it working on one of the pcm inputs.

I pulled out the pcm pinout and looked for any input that handles a 0-5V input and found the egr pintle position pin. I was worried that it's not monitored as my vehicle does not come with egr, but after adding the pin and monitoring the pid I was getting a nice 0-5 volt signal.

Next I set up my user defined pid and was getting my exact value of afr in hpt as in my wbo2 scanner. I'm using the techedge wideband.

I'd recommend this mod for those that got the standard version or would like an extra logging input for the pro.

Advanced Tuner
    everytime i checked a pcm input like that with my voltmeter, I would get .1 volt. I tried hooking up the wideband. Never could get it to work. You're a genius. Do you have pics?

Good job - I'd like to see more about this too.

Tuner in Training
    I didn't actually use a voltmeter to check the pin. I used hp tuners to monitor the PID. Here's a simple guide.

Let's say we use my example, the egr pintle position.
    - open up vcm scanner
    - click on table display
    - right click and click insert, open user defined and open configure user defined
    - pick a blank spot and enter any name and abbrv
    - sensor leave blank and units set to volts
    - now click on the "?" and look for the "egr position" pid in the right column, mine had 2 so I had to try both.
    - Now take that pid number and enter it into the function string box. Let's use my pid. You would enter [PID.2811]
    - close that box
    - right click and select insert again, now click user defined and select the name that you used for the egr from before.
    - now you should have the name in your table.
    - click connect and start logging.
    - If you get 0v then apply 0-5v on that pin and just watch if the value changes. If it does then you can use that pcm pin as an input

What would you like pictures of?
    Last edited by cebi; 05-19-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks Cebi for taking the time to write that up!

I guess what he really needs (instead of pictures) is a diagram of the pin outs on the connector for his car. I need this too for a 2003 Z06.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, can't help you with the wiring diagrams.

Were you able to see if egr position is listed in your pid list? I'm assuming it's only in the list if it's available for your vehicle. If it is, all you have to do is find out which pin it is.

If not then you'll have to track down another input. Some examples would be engine oil pressure(there is usually 2, one is a simple on/off and the other takes a reading), fuel tank pressure or anything that you can spare for tunning. If you have an 5speed you might be able to use the tranny temp sensor that an auto would use.
    Last edited by cebi; 05-19-2006 at 03:44 PM.

No problem there Cebi - thanks again for the input and the idea?

Anyway this can damage your car (hooking an input source into one of those pins)?

Tuner in Training
    I don't see how the 0-5v signal could cause any harm as the input pin was intended to see that type of signal, but if your worried you can use a 250mA fuse inline. I wouldn't try anything until I had a wiring diagram so you actually connect to an input not an output.

You can cause problems if you use an input that the pcm uses to control spark/ fuel, like the map sensor.

Thanks for the information Cebi.

Quote Originally Posted by Nithros
    Thanks Cebi for taking the time to write that up!

I guess what he really needs (instead of pictures) is a diagram of the pin outs on the connector for his car. I need this too for a 2003 Z06.
    Corvette Forum should have the pinouts for your car.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Thanks EC Tune. Would this bother anybody at HP Tuners (Keith, Chris, Ken) if we used this route instead of the enhanced I/O cable?

They would love for you to upgrade to MPVI Pro!
    The method you are using will work fine though. I don't think they have issues with people being creative.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    I don't think they have issues with people being creative.
    Good - I though that because that is how they got their start. I was just wondering because, as a business owner myself, I appreciate the hard work they have put into bringing us this fine product.

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the info

so how much more is it to upgrade to the pro because I accidently bought the standard.... ?
    2002 Pontaic Sunfire 4 Door 2.2 Ecotec
    15.9 best 1/4 @ 87mph (I/H/E)

2005 Silverado 2500HD 2WD LLY, Amsoil in the motor, 4" MBRP DP back, 4-6" tip, EGR Blocker plate, small HP Tune, boost and pyro gauge. PPE shim kit.

14.8 best 1/4 @ 91 MPH
    @ aprox 68*