Thread: One gauge, multiple input files

Potential Tuner

One gauge, multiple input files

Hello,

Is it possible to have one gauge with two input sources? What I'm trying to do is show the ratio of wheelspin I'm getting. One data source is a .gpx file with lat and long coordinates and the other source is a .csv file with speeds as an integer.

So far the best I can do is overlay two time graphs but it's clunky, takes up a lot of space, and doesn't look all that great. See screenshot below, the graph is on the bottom right. Wheel speed is from the .csv file and ground speed is from the .gpx.

Ideally I'd like both inputs to be on one gauge with a needle that swings left and right depending on whether the wheel is faster than the ground speed or vice versa. The ratio would be (wheel speed / ground speed), so if the wheel is slower than the ground speed it's a negative number and the needle swings left; if the wheel is faster than the ground it swings right; if the two are in sync there is no wheel spin and the needle comes back to zero.

Is this possible? If it isn't, does anyone have a better way to represent wheelspin than the graph below?

Wheel spin graph.jpg

Unfortunately, there's not a way to use two different input files within one display object, or to create a calculated field that spans two different input files.

If you had a data file that contained or merged both data sources, that may give you some more options here, and in that case you could even use a program like Excel to create a new column containing a more advanced formula if you want (ie edit the file, fill the column with your formula, then save it back into a .CSV file for RaceRender).

Potential Tuner
    Ok, thanks for that Weston. I've looked at the haversine equation for working out speed from GPS points and it's beyond my Excel abilities frankly!

Can you think of a better/nicer way within Racerender to display this data than what I'm currently doing with the two stacked time graphs?

Potential Tuner
    The image loks like it is the standard GPS speed and Wheel Speed data overlayed as graphs onto aplain background plus some extra bits. Very nice if you have the data.

Potential Tuner
    Hi ssna, thanks for your comments - that's exactly how I've done it. There's quite a few extra bits of text added here and there to do thinks like the legend on the graph and add markers on the course map which makes it all a bit fiddly but it seems to work. The graph was not my first choice for displaying the wheel spin data but given the limitation of only one data input per gauge it seems to be the best way.