Thread: 2013 charger with a big cam, vvt help

Tuner in Training

2013 charger with a big cam, vvt help

hi guys, i am tuning a 2013 5.7l charger with a big cam, and i am looking for some help with the VVT cam setup, do i have to turn of the vvt or should leave it untouched?
    i have read some topics here about the 274 cam, and i fallowed all the steps to make it start running, and for that thank you all for the great explanations.

Tuner in Training
    did you install a cam phase limiter or phase lockout? Also if you did some reading i'm sure you already know that cam is too big for a 5.7 and will kill all your bottom end power for some small gains up top. I guess your passed that point now though

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GFB Performance View Post
    did you install a cam phase limiter or phase lockout? Also if you did some reading i'm sure you already know that cam is too big for a 5.7 and will kill all your bottom end power for some small gains up top. I guess your passed that point now though
    yes, phase lockout is installed, and yes it is too big for a 5.7 but i think actually it will do what it was meant for.

Tuner in Training
    i am asking for help with turning off the VVT, what is the proper way to do it ?
    because when i read about tuning the 274 comp cam,the guys here said that the VVT should be turned off.
    how should i do it properly ?

AND THIS IS NOT THE 274 COMP CAM!
    THIS ONE IS A COSTUME CAM AND IT'S BIGGER THAN 274, WITH PHASE LOCKOUT INSTALLED.

Tuner in Training
    can you post your tune please

Tuner in Training
    can you post your tune please
    and one more problem, i did some logging, and the car wont go above 33 degrees at Power Enrichment spark, and i cant find why it's doing this, i even re-scaled all my knock sensors, and i still can't find the problem

big cammed 5.7l 21.hpt
    14.hpl

this is the stock file
    stockfile.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by The Speed FoX View Post
    and one more problem, i did some logging, and the car wont go above 33 degrees at Power Enrichment spark, and i cant find why it's doing this, i even re-scaled all my knock sensors, and i still can't find the problem

big cammed 5.7l 21.hpt
    14.hpl

this is the stock file
    stockfile.hpt
    Power Enrichment Spark? You mean WOT spark?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Power Enrichment Spark? You mean WOT spark?
    yes i mean WOT spark

Senior Tuner
    no where in your tune file do I see you commanding 33 degrees. WOT Base, WOT Thermal, MBT spark, Variable Cam PT and MBT, all are set around 23-24* max timing. I never see in your log going above 23-24*. Where do you see it getting close to 33*?

Senior Tuner
    worth noting I have never seen a gen3 hemi motor need anymore than 24-25* with stockish compression.

Tuner in Training
    no where in your tune file do I see you commanding 33 degrees. WOT Base, WOT Thermal, MBT spark, Variable Cam PT and MBT, all are set around 23-24* max timing. I never see in your log going above 23-24*. Where do you see it getting close to 33*?
    sorry my bad, i meant 23
    i am commanding 24, but it keeps igniting at 23 degrees only.

Tuner in Training
    worth noting I have never seen a gen3 hemi motor need anymore than 24-25* with stockish compression.
    it has a low compression forged internal parts, that's why i am commanding 24, just to see if i can get anything more of it.

Senior Tuner
    Zero out the last two rows of the Baro spark table. That should do it.

Also, best practice is to keep MBT a few degrees ABOVE WOT to give it a little head room. I usually copy/paste my WOT last like 7 or 8 rows and then add 1 degree.

Tuner in Training
    Zero out the last two rows of the Baro spark table. That should do it.

Also, best practice is to keep MBT a few degrees ABOVE WOT to give it a little head room. I usually copy/paste my WOT last like 7 or 8 rows and then add 1 degree.
    thank you very much,
    and do i need to adjust my VVT tables? or turn it off ?

Senior Tuner
    ill admit I am a novice on the VVT side, post up a new thread, im sure a few will chime in.

Tuner in Training
    ill admit I am a novice on the VVT side, post up a new thread, im sure a few will chime in.
    thank you for your help and support

Tuner in Training
    (Using CMR) I've never turned it off but if it was locked out mechanically as yours is then I adjusted all the VVT tables in PT high baro and low baro and WOT to full advance> exhaust to highest number and intake to lowest. Then turned off MIL P000A,B,C,D Never had any issues that way. There is one way to find out if just disabling it works lol Just disable and report back

Tuner in Training
    (Using CMR) I've never turned it off but if it was locked out mechanically as yours is then I adjusted all the VVT tables in PT high baro and low baro and WOT to full advance> exhaust to highest number and intake to lowest. Then turned off MIL P000A,B,C,D Never had any issues that way. There is one way to find out if just disabling it works lol Just disable and report back
    i tried to disable the vvt, but the spark wont go over 16 degrees, i calibrated the afr to 11.5 and i couldn't find why it wont go over 16 degrees, so I turned the VVT back to On and the AFR went down to 10.0 AFR
    then i opened up this thread to make sure if i did it correctly or not

so I will try to advance all the VVT tables in PT high baro and low baro and WOT, but from where do I get the lowest and highest numbers for them? can you show me please?

Tuner in Training
    Just use the lowest number in the table your in for intake and highest for exhaust. Same with WOT. I always log cam vs crank position to verify what the ECM is seeing and adjust accordingly. It's normal to see the difference move around 1-2* and it will never stay at 0* due to timing chain slack etc.. You just want to verify it's within a * or so