Thread: SES Message On C5 DIC

Tuner

SES Message On C5 DIC

Is there any way the C5's can disable the Service Engine soon message on their DIC when running in SD mode? It's one of those annoyances that really makes me feel like I'm just ghetto-rigging my car rather than tuning it.
    2002 Z51 C5 MN6 Coupe&&SuperMaxx Headers, Vararam, Ti Exhaust

Tuner in Training

Re: SES Message On C5 DIC

Maybe disable the alarm messages, or modify for no trigger messages in the engine diagnostics section?

Tuner

Are you asking or telling me?

Tuner in Training

Asking if you've tried. Because when you figure all the SD Vette quirks, I can start

Tuner

TTT, any straight answers?

Quote Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
    TTT, any straight answers?

What messages or SES's are you getting? If your in SD mode correctly, you should only get a P0103 DTC that will illuminate the SES light. I have never received a SES message on the DIC when in SD mode.

Aaron
    Aaron

'03 Z06 Corvette - The Normal Stuff.....
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
    EFI University Evangelist

Tuner

Aaron, I assume that you just went into the DTC section and selected "no SES light", not the MIL stuff.

Aaron, I assume that you just went into the DTC section and selected "no SES light", not the MIL stuff.
    The only codes I disabled were p0420 and p0430. I leave p0103 alone to remind/confirm that I am in SD mode. If you want to turn off the SES light, use the 'SES Enabled' = Off. Don't disable the MIL's or the car won't go into SD mode but rather 'Reduced Power' mode.

HTH,
    Aaron

Tuner

I have an 04 and I was getting the "Service Vehicle Soon" across the digital DIC. I finally gave up on SD and felt the car ran better with the MAF. I never figured out how to get rid of the message other than hitting the reset button. It was very irritating. No one was able to give me a true answer. It also seems to be only related to the 04 model. What year is your C5? I am curious to know if someone finds a cure. Good luck.

Jim K.

2008 Machine Silver Corvette Vert MN6

Quote Originally Posted by corpsvette
    I have an 04 and I was getting the "Service Vehicle Soon" across the digital DIC. I finally gave up on SD and felt the car ran better with the MAF. I never figured out how to get rid of the message other than hitting the reset button. It was very irritating. No one was able to give me a true answer. It also seems to be only related to the 04 model. What year is your C5? I am curious to know if someone finds a cure. Good luck.

Jim K.
    Jim K. -

Are you unplugging the MAF sensor to fail into SD mode?
    Aaron

Tuner

Yes, I did unplug the MAF. At least at the time was attempting the SD tuning. Like I mentioned though, the car ran like crap so I went back on the MAF and tuned it that way. I am pretty stock except a Z06 lid and catback by the way.

Yes, I did unplug the MAF. At least at the time was attempting the SD tuning. Like I mentioned though, the car ran like crap so I went back on the MAF and tuned it that way. I am pretty stock except a Z06 lid and catback by the way.
    That's why the car went into 'Reduced Power Mode'. For SD to work, you require the IAT sensor and it's built in the MAF sensor in Corvette's. To fail into SD mode on a Corvette, you will need to set the MAF Fail Frequency to 0.
    Aaron

Tuner

I guess I should have been more specific. I rigged it so that the MAF wires were unplugged and the IAT wires were still connected. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Jim K.

I guess I should have been more specific. I rigged it so that the MAF wires were unplugged and the IAT wires were still connected. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Jim K.
    I haven't tried that and thought of that early on but never did it because I couldn't find a harness or connectors to make a jumper. Have you tried setting the MAF Fail Frequency to 0 to determine the cause of the reduced power mode? I can reliably replicate the transition to reduced power mode by unplugging the MAF sensor. I can't get the PCM to produce reduced engine power by setting the MAF Fail Frequency to 0.
    Aaron

Tuner

I am not going into reduced power mode with the MAF wires disconnected. Not sure why you are alluding to that. When I say the car ran like crap, I just meant it didn't seem to accelerate or idle as well. I never had a reduced power warning or anything. I actually cut my 3 MAF wires and then solder a 3 wire plug so I could connect and disconnect anytime I wanted to for SD mode. Yes, I also tried the Fail Frequency = 0 thing and still got a "Service Engine Soon" message. I appreciate you trouble shooting this with me though. Thanks,

Jim K.

I am not going into reduced power mode with the MAF wires disconnected. Not sure why you are alluding to that. When I say the car ran like crap, I just meant it didn't seem to accelerate or idle as well. I never had a reduced power warning or anything. I actually cut my 3 MAF wires and then solder a 3 wire plug so I could connect and disconnect anytime I wanted to for SD mode. Yes, I also tried the Fail Frequency = 0 thing and still got a "Service Engine Soon" message. I appreciate you trouble shooting this with me though. Thanks,

Jim K.
    Apologize Jim, BQuicksilver was having the reduced power mode issue. Now I understand!!!!! Again, sorry for inconvience.
    Aaron

Tuner

Hey 405,

Definetly no harm, no foul. You were just trying to help out and I will take all I can get. I am not sure why qucksilver is getting a reduced power but come to think of it, I did get it one time when tuning but seemed to be a momentary glitch. Oh well, ya'll keep after it.
    Jim K.
    Quote Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06

Apologize Jim, BQuicksilver was having the reduced power mode issue. Now I understand!!!!! Again, sorry for inconvience.

Tuner

I was never getting reduced power mode. I think 405hp just misread from some posts above. I was just getting the SES message on my DIC at startup...a small annoyance, but something I wanted rid of.

Disabling the P0103 SES light did the trick.