Thread: 6.4 Timing

6.4 Timing

Ok I'm hoping someone could possibly answer my question. I feel like I'm Missing something on timing. I understand these are set up where NEGATIVE timing is BTDC and POSITIVE is ATDC but my question comes here. In on of my data logs yesterday I had a timing spike of 40*+at 3100 rpm and the most I'm calling for in any of the timing tables is 22*. I know 7.3s are crazy about multipliers and adders. Do these have any multipliers or adders? I know with H&S MCC I've never had this issue but data logging was non-existant other then a recorder on the display. Now with the acutal data logging, I'm curious if it's possibly an adder or multiplier table that is there? Just trying to understand this PCM better. Thanks for any help!!

I'm not sure but I would imagine they do. I remember in cold weather especially I noticed my 6.4 would have random spikes of timing during tip in, but in my case It was right off idle and the timing would spike to almost 8 deg, even though I was commanding around 3 or 4.