Thread: 02 Cav 5 spd 2.4L SC tune

Potential Tuner

02 Cav 5 spd 2.4L SC tune

Well basically I'm wondering where to start. I have the HP turner pro and licenced my car. I have a full exhaust including ceramic header and a 2.7" pulley which is .1 inch smaller than stock so i'm running about 6psi at best. I've scanned my car and played around with a few things like speedo removal and when the fan comes on yada yada. But I'm wondering how to tune it and really dial in the power. Basically what charts I need to play with and what I should be looking for. I am going to need a wideband O2 but I haven't got around to getting one yet. Has anyone really tuned the SC setup before with some good results?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would say open up your stock file & go through & read what each available parameter does...this should help you understand whats going on a little better...PE for wot fueling, spark tables, Tq management theres too much to tell you to get you going...do a little reading & you'll find your way...then come back with more specific questions when you get stuck or need specific help.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Well I understand the basic concepts of eng performance I'm just not familiar with the VCM lingo I guess. I know that I want to scan the car and watch for knock retard because that is obviously bad but what categories I want in the histogram is a loss to me. Is the car's OS based on MAP vs RPM or TPS vs RPM? remember I'm dealing with the sc reflash. There is one issue I noticed with the IAT sensor being approx 142 degrees F on a 93 degree day and that apparently falls outside the parameters of the program in the VCM but gM has you install the IAT after the supercharger so obviously its going to get hotter as the air gets compressed. Anyone think that is strange or just normal?

Potential Tuner
    so does anybody have a better answer then just use the help file or go figure it out for yourself? Not to be negative but I just don't understand how certain parameters relate to each other within the program to change the things I want to change and I have been through this forum at least the 4 banger section and the only person seems to be shifted who just posted the file of the program I already have on my car however it is friday!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    do you have the hpt/hpl files to post?

Basically the only question you had that I can answer without your hpt file was with setting up histograms...theres a demo in the help file on how to setup a histogram. http://www.hptuners.com/help/getting_started_demos.htm

Potential Tuner

Talking

why yes I do

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    btw for most cars the principles of tuning are very similar so going through the v6 & v8 sections might not be a bad idea for information sake. When you say" Is the car's OS based on MAP vs RPM or TPS vs RPM?" look at your tables to find out...they are usually all different in what they are based off of.

Tuner
    Another suggestion that I found helpful... look at the Favorites list. Those tables are on there for a reason

Personally, with my truck, I started with the torque managment and then moved to the trans. Soon as I can get to an exhaust shop, I'm getting the bung for my O2 sensor in, and then I will start playing with fuel and spark.

Foff667 is right on with the suggestion that read ALL of the other forums on here. Most of the principles are the same, even if the tables may look a bit different.

Another good idea, is to download one of the more popular cars on this forum (like an LS-1 or an LS-2 tune, or even a 3800 series) and look through it. The Helpfile seems more geared towards those motors than any of the others. Use it as a reference to figure out what the help file is saying, and then find the equivilent on yours.