Thread: HPT's and Bigger Injectors

Tuner in Training

HPT's and Bigger Injectors

hey,

I read shifted's faq on tuning with hptuners for bigger injectors...

i have 42lb injectors in my ecotec (05 sunfire)... stock is 19lb (i read on j-body atleast) . . . . my fuel pressure is at 48psi.... (stock injector constant on my ecotec was 0.17800)

after calculating the new injector flow rates based on the new pressure here... http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...linjector.html, the injector constant i got using shifted's equation in the faq was .080523

can you guys double check my work? I tried that constant and my car wouldnt turn on, lol... so i just threw a high number in there like .20102 i think, and now the car runs... i completely guessed that number which is why i wanted to know what i am doing wrong with the calculations

Tuner in Training
    Make sure your 42lb injectors are rated that way at 48psi. Injector size is based on a given fuel pressure so altering the fuel pressure would change the injector rating.

most of the aftermarket inectors are rated at 43.5 psi (3 bar)
    but svo's are rated at 40 psi....

I havent really looked too much at L4/I5/I6 stuff so I cant tell you what that value represents there with the .178000

but I attatched the spreadsheet I use...maybe time for me to try to update it to work with more vehicles..LOL..

and I know it doesnt have the right things for the injector constants liek the L4..but it will let you atleast see how much difference fuel pressure makes
    Last edited by S2H; 06-03-2006 at 11:21 AM.
    -Scott -

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys i have 2.2litre non-ecotec turbo cavy, im just wondering if the HP tuners program can tune 10psi of turbo boost?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sever2.2turbo
    Hey guys i have 2.2litre non-ecotec turbo cavy, im just wondering if the HP tuners program can tune 10psi of turbo boost?
    if your fuel system can support it you should be fine.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    So what is the trick to get the HP tuner programmer to be able to tune, right now the i will tune the computer and the car will run rich under boost(10.1-1 air/fuel) but that is where i tell it to but after a couple of weeks or so the car will suddenly run lean at full boost(14-1 air/fuel). Right now i have the Greddy emanage controlling boost. Basically i need to know why the computer is doing this and how to stop it, also if the the HP tuner program can tell my car computer how to run boost?

Potential Tuner
    Sorry, also i have 42lbs injectors, and in the process of getting a fuel pump. It would be helpful if you can recommend a fuel pump to me. Thanx

So what is the trick to get the HP tuner programmer to be able to tune, right now the i will tune the computer and the car will run rich under boost(10.1-1 air/fuel) but that is where i tell it to but after a couple of weeks or so the car will suddenly run lean at full boost(14-1 air/fuel). Right now i have the Greddy emanage controlling boost. Basically i need to know why the computer is doing this and how to stop it, also if the the HP tuner program can tell my car computer how to run boost?
    sounds like it needs some TLC... BTW, HPT can NOT control boost. Right now you are just "piggybacking" .. With the HPT, you can Correctly edit/change the proper parameters based on the criteria that you log....

P&P Tuning

Potential Tuner
    the car only has 25,xxx km's on it and it's a 2002, i also baby the car. I just don't get why the car would be fine, then like a snap of the fingers it will run so lean, and stay that way until i re-tune it, this is the third time this has happened. Right now i have all the adaptives turned off i think, so it shouldn't in theory be doing this, right? If anyone can tell me why the car is doing this it would be greatly appreciated.

ok, let me get this straight... You are using HPT, but have the Emanage piggybacking off it too?? Get that off.... Also, lets see a log and copy of your tune... I have same engine and have had no problems at all..

P&P Tuning

Potential Tuner
    Yeah i have the Emanage running the boost and the HPT running the injectors, and ignition. And i'll try and get a copy of my tune and a log of my cars data. The more help i get the faster i can get rid of this problem. How are you controlling your boost? I really want to get rid of the emanage, so if you could explain to me how your doing this, it would great.

Tuner
    So EMANAGE is just for boost adjustment... HPTuners is all the PCM tuning. right?
    Pontiac Grandma 2.4L LD9 (GT30R - super special option)
    12.4@118mph, spinning and being sloppy, 432hp 424tq

I control my boost with a manual boost controller.... I would get rid of the emanage completely.......

P&P Tuning

dump the emanage. what kind of wideband you have? is it calibrated?

Potential Tuner
    So if i got rid of the Emanage this should stop my problem? i am using a Greddy Profec type S electronic boost controller to adjust my boost.

Also imphat0260 how are you controlling your fuel, injectors, ignition, and timing under boost are you just using the HP tuner? If so how?

SpyHunter: im using the emanage to run the car under boost, because from my understanding the HP tuner can't do it. So would it be the Emanage getting in the way?

Killerjuice: im using an FJO wideband, and i do believe it is calibrated.

So if i got rid of the Emanage this should stop my problem? i am using a Greddy Profec type S electronic boost controller to adjust my boost.

Also imphat0260 how are you controlling your fuel, injectors, ignition, and timing under boost are you just using the HP tuner? If so how?

SpyHunter: im using the emanage to run the car under boost, because from my understanding the HP tuner can't do it. So would it be the Emanage getting in the way?

Killerjuice: im using an FJO wideband, and i do believe it is calibrated.
    Im using HPT to contol everything besides boost. The boost is controlled by a manual boost controller that I have set. HPT can control it "under boost", but you have to tune it to do so. I would start off by getting rid of the Emanage... Please try to post your tune and log, we can assist you better once we see whats "going on"
    Last edited by imphat0260; 08-12-2006 at 04:02 PM.

P&P Tuning

Tuner
    Emanage needs to go... HPT will allow you to get where you need and want to go
    Pontiac Grandma 2.4L LD9 (GT30R - super special option)
    12.4@118mph, spinning and being sloppy, 432hp 424tq

Potential Tuner
    I have quick question:why is having the emanage on there such a bad thing.

Imphat0260: what do you have done to your motor(turbo size,injectors ect,ect)

I have quick question:why is having the emanage on there such a bad thing.

Imphat0260: what do you have done to your motor(turbo size,injectors ect,ect)
    Ok, first off, the Emanage is a "piggy back" computer that changes what the stock VCM sees. It does nothing more than tricking the VCM by signal modification... (more to it than that, but trying to explain so you can understand).... In other words, stop questiong all of us, take it off, use the HPT only and get the thing running properly.... As far as my engine goes, here is a list.... BTW, Stock bottom end....

Engine:

Turbonetics T3 Super 60
    Turbonetics Deltagate
    Spearco Intercooler
    TurboSmart Type1 BOV
    TurboSmart Gated boost controller
    Walbro 255 intank
    Lucas 42.5# Injectors
    Mantapart 59mm Throttlebody
    Ported/Polished head
    B&M Short Shifter
    SPEC Stage2 clutch