Thread: P0606 code and limp mode GM LS3 525hp crate motor

Tuner in Training

P0606 code and limp mode GM LS3 525hp crate motor

Just to provide some background, a guy in my town that owns a performance shop and does LS swaps asked me to come tune this car for him. I'm still fairly new to tuning and he knows that. The vehicle is a 54 chevy pickup that has a brand new GM LS3 376/525 crate motor in it. The guy bought his harness from PSI Conversion I dont really know much about the harness, but when I read the tune, the pcm is an e38 from a 2008 silverado. PSI also provided a separate tcm for a 4L60E. Anyways, the tune on the pcm from PSI Conversion was crazy. 5* timing at 6000rpm WOT, wouldn't idle at all, etc. To start, I actually found a GM tune for that specific crate motor and copied most all of the tables over onto my current tune. Now, it idles excellent, but as we revved it up at idle, the P0606 code appeared and it went into limp mode. We cleared the code and revved it some without any problems, but then it came back again. It only appeared with quick transition from idle to higher rpm revs. Also, the TPS seems to be off, as it was showing a lower position then what was actually being revved.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Like I said, the tune that is currently on it is the tune from GM for that 525hp LS3 crate motor. It is pretty much a stock LS3 crate motor tune with idle raised and a few other minor differences. I will upload the old horrible tune and the new one so everyone can check it out. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

LS3 525hp PSI conversion original tune.hpt
    LS3 525hp PSI conversion (GM tune copied over).hpt
    Last edited by Lane_Hesser; 05-09-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Put the throttle tables back to the 08 Silverado - p0606 should stay gone after that... Airflow - electronic throttle - desired throttle area - put all of these tables back...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuning Addict
    You might also want to look at your adders - your actually running 13 degrees with PSI's tune... Looks like he just set it up for possible blower safety...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Put the throttle tables back to the 08 Silverado - p0606 should stay gone after that... Airflow - electronic throttle - desired throttle area - put all of these tables back...
    Okay, I will change these back and upload it tomorrow and see how it does. Thanks for the reply.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Just an update. I changed the throttle tables back and everything is fine now. Thanks for the help!