Thread: SD shows rich even after tuning?

Potential Tuner

SD shows rich even after tuning?

hey folks, been reading for a while and tuning from your suggestions for a while, but now have my first question... I hope someone knows the answer!

in a 2000 A4 chevy truck, we swapped in a LQ4 6.0 with TR220/220 cam, and started to tune from the 2000 5.3 stock bin for a baseline. I adjusted into Speed Density mode per the "getting started" file, and started logging LTFT's. I got some high negative LTFT's (-8 to -16) below 4k rpm and upper map (30-90), and some knock retard under load from 2k rpm and under. I went through the VE table and adjusted all the cells by adding the negative numbers across the relative cells (i.e. 45 + -10) and did the same with the timing in the main spark table. I did this 3 times, resetting the fuel trims each time, and every time it comes back logging significantly high LTFT's. a/f readings however keep getting leaner, into the 600-700 range across most of the histogram.

this seems increasingly strange to me, as this motor combination should have needed MORE fuel, not less, across the board. I have since reloaded the stock 5.3 fuel/spark tables, modified them ONCE per the negative LTFT's, and then changed it back to MAF - and the LTFT's jumped back up to an excellent range (-2 to +2) and spark now seems low!!! UGH!

it seems I get the richest readings and most retard under 2000rpm, usually when downshifting or coasting...

does anybody have any idea what the deal is??? thanks in advance!!!

Advanced Tuner

Re: SD shows rich even after tuning?

With the timing VCM suite it doesn’t re-set the Knock Learn factor witch is set to o.oo (the low spark table) when you are in sd by either unplugging the maf or setting the fail frequency to 0 .
    If you go back to using the maf it will take time for the pcm to work its way back to a knock learn of 1.00 (high spark table)
    A PCM re-set will also return the Knock Learn factor to 1.00 .

also did you change the cylinder volume parameter to represent the 6.0 engine

Potential Tuner

ok, so I need to reset the knock learn? or just let it reset itself? and no, I didnt adjust for the 6.0 cylinder volume, do you know off the cuff what it is, or where I can find it? thanks guys!