Thread: Nasty 2-3 shift after tune.. 6l80 trans, please help

Tuner in Training

Nasty 2-3 shift after tune.. 6l80 trans, please help

I really need some advice here. I apologize ahead of time but I'm on a mobile device since I'm currently deployed and won't be going home for a few weeks. My dilemma is I picked up a 2011 Chevy Silverado that had a crappy bullydog tune on it and I ran into pinging and shifting issues. The tune loaded on the truck right now is located at this post labeled "DOD DELETED" https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...tched&p=489759

I ran the truck and it shifts amazing, and runs amamzing. Smoothest truck I've ever driven. Only problem is my 6L80 has developed a flare on part throttle shifts in the 2-3 gear. It acts fine at WOT and spirited driving, doesn't act up in manual mode, and only does it randomly. I can consistently make it flare at 2500 RPM and when it flares for the split second it does, I'll floor it to try and make it slip more but it goes into gear no issues. It's really pissing me off because I just bought the truck so I had a reliable vehicle to take home on leave. I thought buying a low mileage truck would save me some troubles but I was wrong. I'm basically looking at 4,900 to drop the trans for a rebuild or I can throw a used one in with 80,000 miles for 900 dollars. This trans is doing exactly what my 4L60 did when it exploded and left me stranded in Nebraska. (The reason I don't have that truck anymore) I've tried relearning shift adapts which just made it worse and Checking the trans fluid which is in spec. I'm at loss and am praying maybe my tune is screwed up. If I can't fix it this weekend by doing a clutch relearn or changing what you all suggest I'm dropping the grand and swapping the transmission.

Thanks everyone!

Potential Tuner
    Im a rookie and this is first my post, i had a nasty 2 3 flare at anything above 3k. Nothing would fix it and i thought i was up for a rebuild, but played around in the oncoming adaptive pressures and volumes ( for some reason 2 3 is lower pressure and volume than 1 2) and now it's sweet. I went a bit far probably cause its a real solid shift now. Im sure someone on here can tell you exatly what to do.
    Good luck with it.

Change the shift time and increase the on-coming pressure presets to help remove the shift flare.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Change the shift time and increase the on-coming pressure presets to help remove the shift flare.

Can you PM me and guide me through? I'm lost.. I'd like to give you my number.

In short, the shift time torque adder table is the main shift speed table the computer uses.

I generally decrease the shift time down to around .3000 instead of .4000 -.6000 seconds in these trucks. Then I add a slight bit of line pressure and adjust the on-coming pressure presets for the transmission.

I'll post one of my older tunes you can use to compare, you'll see the 3 main sections that I adjust for shift time, shift pressure and the pressure presets, they will be in red or green ( I forget) when you use the compare feature to your tune.

The pressure presets play a role in how fast it shifts to the next gear and can stop the flare between shifts. That table you may have to play with. That way I understand is that the 0,1,2 you see in the table is like how far you have you foot in it. Pressures rises as the rpm/load do to make the shift quicker at full throttle.

Just note that anytime you make a pressure change you have to do a reset/preset with the VCM scanner after you flash the new file into the vehicle and before you turn the engine one. That way the changes you made will actually take and it will learn. The first few times through the gears may be a little jumpy/lurchy but it evens back out pretty quick. Flash the tune, open the scanner, start scanning, click special function, go to transmission and it's the first two tabs on the right side, click reset, then preset and then start the vehicle and go for a drive.

2012 Silverado+engine+trans5.hpt

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thank you kindly for the information. I just bought a Yukon Denali AWD and fifth gear sticks until about 40mph don't know if this is normal operation but I hate it. I want it to go on ahead and shift like the other gears. Been this way for months since I got it. I'll use your pointers and see if I can get it to do any better
    Thank you kindly

The 4-5 shift is around the 40mph mark I think, shifting too soon may cause it to start lugging in gear because the rpm's are too low. My 5-6 shift is around 42-45mph with 20-25% throttle.

I think otsaybe fourth gear I'll take it out tomorrow to verify and report back