Thread: 6.0 wont start after tuning

6.0 wont start after tuning

Hey all, I have a 2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke, I've pulled the stock tune and tweaked it a bit, but when I write it back to the pcm the engine is "dead" as in the fuel pump doesn't turn on and the starter doesn't go either.
    When I reload the stock tune it fires right up like nothing happened, so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or has some insight.
    It writes with no hesitation or codes, just doesn't start after. The vin is correct and licensed.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

what version are you using? are you writing the pcm and tcm at the same time? are you staying with the computer and following the key off prompt at the end? these things will cause it to not start, or is it something you have changed in the tune? what all did you change?

Thanks for replying, I'm using the 3.6.26. Yes I'm staying intently with the computer, following the prompts and writing the pcm and tcm at the same time ( one right after the other in the same write session).
    Also forgot to mention the batteries are at full charge as not to have it get part way and stop or fail. I've had that issue with other brands of tuners.04 6.0 powerstroke (3).hpt

This is the tune, didn't make any major changes, just trying to pep it up a bit.
    Thanks

do you have a scanner like auto enginuity? something that will pick up body module codes? any chance your pcm is from an excursion? the tune looks fine as far as being able to start and run, Being an 04 does HP give you any checksum or vin messages?

I do have AE, haven't tried looking for codes with it though, mostly because HP doesn't give me any messages when it writes the tune. I did have to give it the vin the first time I read it, but its been good ever since. Pretty sure it's not from an excursion, I'm not the original owner of the engine so I couldn't guarantee.
    I was assuming HP only used the pcm and tcm for programming purposes, do you know which other moduels, if any they would affect?
    I can't imagine which others would affect the fuel pump and starter. I'll plug AE in and see if I can come up with something in the mean time.
    Thanks

Just went out and plugged in AE, got this, tried multiple times, but it seems like the pcm is "dead"?
    Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by Shawee; 07-31-2017 at 10:15 PM.

when you reflash your "original file" it will connect correct? if it does, make a simple change to that file (and resave) like raise the speed limit or something and try and write it, im guessing something got screwy when the file was saved, ive had a no start once with my own truck kindof the same senario as you, i just deleted that file and made a new one and all was good, never really looked into why

Yes, it connects with the other file. I took a new read with the update so ficm tuning is supported, I'll give that a little modification and give her a try.
    Thanks for all your input and patience, I'll keep you up to date as I hopefully make progress.

Hey, I tried tuning the new read and nothing happened, as in the fuel pump didn't come on and it didn't start. I'm at a loss so the stock tune is back in and I'll work on it when I have the patience, if someone has a brain wave I'd appreciate it!!!

have you successfully used hp before? meaning you have read-modified-written back to an ecm on any other vehicles?

I have written a mustang successfully and I wrote this ecm successfully the first time I tried, only changed some tire size and axle ratio parameters.

ya got me stumped, try contacting support?

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Did you write entire? I found that the black oak pcms do weird shit when you write calibration.

I have been writing entire, I tried just writing the ecm with a tune that only had mild timing table changes and it actuality worked, as in it started after, so I'm gonna keep working on weeding out the problem by changing one thing at a time.
    Might be worth asking for help from support, kinda doubt they'll help since they haven't chimed in on this yet.

I've gone out of the perceived limits aka above 140mg per injection and have been able to flash with success. You may have a problem child pcm.

I've looked at a couple of the other tunes on here that go up to 150mg and they have apparently been tuned, but it doesn't work for me , so I've been wondering if my pcm is shit? Would you suggest a new pcm or just keep trying to tune one parameter at a time?

Ok, so I finally had enough time today to write the full tune by changing 1 or 2 parameters at a time and sure enough it worked got the entire tune written, and it runs great, just took half an hour instead of 3 minutes.
    I'm still not sure what the problem really is, I guess it just overwhelms the pcm if to many parameters are changed at once.

Thanks for all of your input!

Last time I tuned a black oak it took a basically full fuel tune and worked fine. Good to hear you got it working just seems odd. Maybe your strategy is a weird one.

Tuner in Training
    I've had that happen to me before also. As long as I made small changes and loaded it, it was fine. If I made alot of changes and tried to load it would give me a no crank problem.