Thread: 4L60E shift pattern

Potential Tuner

4L60E shift pattern

I've been reading forums for over a month. I just can't find one with the same issues I'm challenged with.

Unknown miles but sure the trans has been gone through at some point. Here is the behavior. 1) leave the trans in 3rd gear and it shifts perfectly fine on point as the commanded tps & mph parameters are set too. WOT shift within a couple hundred rpms is desired rpm in the tune. 2) manually shift the trans through the gears and there is a 1-1.5 second delay from when the lever is moved to when when the shift actually takes place(can't keep it from bouncing the rev limiter). This is the same whether part throttle or WOT.

All speedo settings seem to be good as the same behavior existed before the rear end swap.

I know there a ton more info needed including my tune, but I thought if something quick came to mind for somebody I would try it out.

Thanks for the help!

Apologies bud,.....but, not enough info to give a decent enough answer.

Please post your tune and a scan (run). From the scan, tell us what it should be doing/what it's not doing,...maybe we can give you some insight from there.

Also, please tell us the vehicle, year, engine (any mods), trans (any mods), etc so we get an idea of what we're looking at,....you can list all this vehicle info in your signature section (that way you only have to do it once,...and every post you do going forward will have the info for others to see).

Simply trying to help you bud.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Potential Tuner
    I will attach the file tomorrow. I updated the "About Me" info. Not sure if it will show up.

Potential Tuner
    Ok, I've att the current tune in the car + the latest log file from the test drive. On the log file starting at the ~9:50min mark was the WOT pull manually shifting gears(I'm a control freak). From the way I read the data there is a 1.5 sec delay from commanded gear change to actual RPM drop. This delay is all occurring while on the rev limiter. The one thing that looks odd to me is the TPS spikes, is this causing the PCM to loose track of when is should be commanding the shift?

Again, if I leave the shifter in 3rd and make a WOT pull it shifts spot on to the setting in the tune.
    Current ride: 1998 Trans Am, stock original motor(246k miles), rebuilt trans when I purchased(unknown miles). Since I purchased it I've added a Moser 9" with 3.89 gear & full BMR adjustable rear suspension. Working my way to the front on a journey to go faster and stronger.

Quick question before I look through the scan/tune this evening/tomorrow, have you connected the scanner up to check your TPS for smooth operation from 0-100% stroke? Slowly increase/decrease your pedal from 0-100-0%, and watch your scanner for a smooth increase/decrease on your scanner graph. Should be no jagged movement.

Do it a few times,....also snap your pedal up and down quickly a few times (watching Scanner), then do a couple more slow 0-100-0%'s again. Then have someone go out and rapidly tap on the side of the TB while you do it (not hard, just enough to induce a little vibration to see if it stays good and smooth as you move up and down). Vibrations could sometimes show a TPS starting to loosen/fail. Your right,...a spiking TPS does sound odd.

Admittedly, I haven't looked at the log yet (I'm on my IPad, not my laptop) but, did you use the "time of last shift" PID to record your shift times in the Scanner?
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fbody_bay View Post
    Ok, I've att the current tune in the car + the latest log file from the test drive. On the log file starting at the ~9:50min mark was the WOT pull manually shifting gears(I'm a control freak). From the way I read the data there is a 1.5 sec delay from commanded gear change to actual RPM drop. This delay is all occurring while on the rev limiter. The one thing that looks odd to me is the TPS spikes, is this causing the PCM to loose track of when is should be commanding the shift?

Again, if I leave the shifter in 3rd and make a WOT pull it shifts spot on to the setting in the tune.
    It's shifting at .5 to .6 seconds from what I see. If you're reading something else in the scanner it's not the way to read it.
    If you shift it manually it's usually going to take longer to feel the shift.

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure why your tune file doesn't show gear ratio or tire size. Only shows 6.43 in the gear/tire wizard tab.

Potential Tuner
    I don't dare ask for education on the Gear/Tire Wizard...I'll google it...lol.

I did notice that in the stock tune file when car was 3.23 gear the value is 7.71

I'll seek to understand what all is going on with this 'wizard table. Never new it was there, yep I'm a newb!

Thank you guys for at least taking time to reply, much appreciated!
    Current ride: 1998 Trans Am, stock original motor(246k miles), rebuilt trans when I purchased(unknown miles). Since I purchased it I've added a Moser 9" with 3.89 gear & full BMR adjustable rear suspension. Working my way to the front on a journey to go faster and stronger.

Potential Tuner
    Well I certainly picked up on something that maybe isn't correct.

When I changed my reared and made the tune changes I did the speedo & mph changes manually on the part throttle and WOT tables(cruise and hot tables swell). Instead I should have used the Gear/Tire Wizard. I noticed that the wizard makes all the necessary changes to the trans tables where needed with the correct percentages of change. I know for a fact I couldn't have changed them manually as accurate the wizard could do.

I took the stock tune and made the Tire/Gear wizard changes. When I look at the compare files there was a lot that the wizard changed. I'll load this to the car this weekend and see what changes.

Advanced Tuner
    Off topic but I noticed your running a high milage ls1. I like to see the high milage runners go far. reminds me of my buddies truck that started out as an original high milage 1/2 ton awd 6.0 gmc denali that ended up with an awd delete, 2wd 4l80 swap. a slightly more than mild cam of unknown spec. accompanied by an ebay gt45. Made a best pass of 11.9 on 12# The truck had just north of 290,000 miles when it melted a piston. I'm all for it and hope you keep the high milage engine till the bitter end. i'm running a high milage l31 in my 97 c1500.
    Last edited by Oleblu; 08-10-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Fbody, how'd those tune changes work this weekend? Did you check your TPS, whadja find? Simply curious here bud.

Potential Tuner
    I hooked up the scanner(engine off) just to check the linear graphs for the TPS, I couldn't reproduce a voltage drop. It stayed very smooth thru the ranges. I did however log another drive to town, got back and checked out the file. Again, there was voltage drop without any decrease of RPM. I'm guessing engine vibrations are effecting it. As cheap as the sensor is I think I will just put on on.

I did also use the Gear/Tire wizard to update all the trans tables, looked at the compare file and there was a lot of changes.

I know the Latest shift PID is showing ~.5 shift time, whats odd to me is that the time difference from PRNDL indicator PID and the 1-2 shift solenoid is really high(the 1.5 sec that I was referring to earlier). Seems like a delay from when you manually move the shift lever to the PCM receiving the signal to command the solenoid. I'm not sure what could cause this.

Yeah, it might be engine vibration messing with your TPS, causing dips/low voltage. Let us know if the swap fixes it.

I believe JasonB said above, your delay is normal while manually lever shifting,...I've yet to test mine manually,...I'll do it over the next couple days and let you know if mine's delayed as well. JasonB and some of the other guys on here have these 4L60e's dialed in.