Thread: Pulsating idle when first warming up?

Tuner in Training

Pulsating idle when first warming up?

I have followed Gameover's guide to setting your idle but I'm still getting pulsating idle when it is in open loop(I assume that is what it is caled when the engine is warming up). I don't know what to adjust to help with the pulsating. The engine sounds like vroom,one,vroom,two. I have a 224,228 cam and was looking to smooth this out. Once it gets warm and the closed loop kicks in, it stops pulsating. Any sugestions would be helpful? Thanks

Tuner in Training

Re: Pulsating idle when first warming up?

If I lowered my Min ECT temp for Adaptive Idle Rpm to engage the closed loop could this help?

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by patmo
    If I lowered my Min ECT temp for Adaptive Idle Rpm to engage the closed loop could this help?
    I don't think so. Its running open loop on cold startup, so reduce your open loop F/A table by 0.92 across the board. Also look at your base timing advance for idle. The spark may be retarded and you need to jack it up a bit.

Senior Tuner

I would only reduce OLFA at ECT below closed loop /
    normal operating temps, and MAP values at & below
    what you're getting for idle. You may stiull want the
    same enrichment "for real", you're just trying to get
    rid of excess cold idle enrichment.

Also the enrichment from OLFA may be compounded by
    VE table inaccuracy from the cam overlap, the lower RPM
    columns may want a shave. What you probably want to
    do here, is use the in-car O2s, when hot and closed loop
    suppressed, to dial in the VE table values. Then mess
    the OLFA table around after you know the airflow is
    being metered properly.

i am having the same issues on cold start up as well, but it only seems at high IAC counts i get it...hmmmm
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

im going to check out my idle timing and see what its at, on cold start up, what should it be at?

i noticed that sound on cold start but never though much more of it. i did decrease my open loop f/a and it didnt seem too bad today. im going to try some more once i get some gas, ill do a cold start log tomorrow when i get out of work

noone knows the max position of the iac do they? i wonder if my problem could be related to a iac not getting enough air in. any ideas on this?
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

my cold timing is pretty low, its about 12* is this normal?

Tuner in Training

Well I tried messing with the OLFA and it made it worse so I thought I would get a second opinion on the matter from a local mechanic. He told me about how at ilde the cars at our altitude(5280ft) need more fuel for some reason. How does that figure, less air more fuel?? I will try it later this week and let everyone know my results.