Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we please get only ONE wiring diagram?

Advanced Tuner

Arrow Can we please get only ONE wiring diagram?

all of you electrical engineers/experts can we have a discussion then an agreed upon wiring for the lc1 wb/nb. i have seen all of the viable grounding diagrams that have left me at the point of pulling out my hair and haveing a lot of wasted connectors. while some worked i would come across a reason why it shouldnt be that way. i know now that its common sense to do it the one way ive come to and that one way only. these conditions to me must be met, to me, to finalize the ground wiring:
    1) ground the heater to the negative battery terminal and not the block.
    2) firewall ground for the system ground and analog ground near the engines ground strap.
    3) a switch/relay for the system ground for when the eio box is hooked up
    4) a chassis ground for calibration wire.
    5) possibly a diode between the lc1 box and eio box
    it would be nice if a single wiring setup could be agreed upon and be made the standard of the setup. im sorry for the rant like nature but it has been irkking me lately. clarity means a lot to me so things are done only once and done right. thanks for reading

Unfortunately Its not a "single" possibility....
    guys who make theirs portble(me for example) need a diferent setup than a guy who installs permanently
    but the wiring should remain teh same for all of us....just the location of a few things changes...

mostly heater powr and ground are the major differences..which is why mine is left just showing a generic hookup for those
    the basics of My diagram are correct for 95% of all people....
    there are special cases that require it diferent...
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    Unfortunately Its not a "single" possibility....
    guys who make theirs portble(me for example) need a diferent setup than a guy who installs permanently
    but the wiring should remain teh same for all of us....just the location of a few things changes...

mostly heater powr and ground are the major differences..which is why mine is left just showing a generic hookup for those
    the basics of My diagram are correct for 95% of all people....
    there are special cases that require it diferent...
    for the ones that like to have it portable shoud do what uve been doing and get a cig lighter plug but in terms of permanent stuff i think an agreed upon wiring would be a great thing.

i've blown unit's two analog outs. the diagram showing using the OBDII connector ground for most of the grounds and the sensor heater/engine block ground is going to be my next try. it is maddening
    2004 GTO Blk/Rd M6 (Ziggy)

Best ET: 12.390 ET, 112.73MPH, 1.819 60ft

Tuner in Training
    OK, you've made me feel guilty. I re - did the drawing a little.

Electrically it's the same as SoundEngineer's.

You can do it this way and not have to cut any wires anywhere in your car. You do have to buy an O2 extension pigtail from somewhere.

Have fun!

Let's see if this works this time -- OK it's a GIF, you have to zoom it all the way or you lose detail. Tomorrow I'll render it in white so you can print it without blowing all the ink out of your printer.

--97T--

**EDIT** Drawing temporarily pulled.
    Last edited by NinerSevenTango; 07-08-2006 at 10:24 PM.

Tuner
    i hooked mine up like the instructions. i have had no problems. i hooked in a power source and that was the hardest part. which isnt hard.
    98 Camaro, M6, HPTuners, heads and cam

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerSevenTango
    OK, you've made me feel guilty. I re - did the drawing a little.

Electrically it's the same as SoundEngineer's.

You can do it this way and not have to cut any wires anywhere in your car. You do have to buy an O2 extension pigtail from somewhere.

Have fun!

Let's see if this works this time -- OK it's a GIF, you have to zoom it all the way or you lose detail. Tomorrow I'll render it in white so you can print it without blowing all the ink out of your printer.

--97T--
    Ok, a couple things with your diagram. You really shouldn't use the factory O2 connector for ground. Alot of newer vehicles use the PCM to switch the ground on and off to control the heater. You will fry your LC1, already done it. The system ground and analog ground are tied to each other internally in the LC1 controller, you can check for yourself with a DVOM. Other than that, the diagram is good. When I get a chance, I'll put up some pictures of how mine is wired.

Tim

I tried to explain that to somebody...they kept saying the car doesnt do that...but I know it does as well....
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Ok I was a little lazy so I editted 97T's diagram. This has worked well for me and has only given me a few mV offset on my wideband analog signal. I use a cig lighter adapter to hook to my ground to my cig outlet to give me a nice ground for the heater. I've also attached a pic of how I modified my LC1 harness. It's kind of along the lines of SoundEngineer's. The connector on the end is different from the F-bodies. It fits my GTO and Sierra. I have the connectors so I can make adapters to fit F and Y bodies, just haven't gotten around to it. You could also extend the wires for an easier to install mobile wideband. Any questions, just ask away.

Tim
    Last edited by bullygoat; 07-09-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Tuner in Training
    **EDIT** The GTO does have switched grounds on the heater, see my reply below, where I attached a drawing. Sorry for any confusion!

For the drawing I made, I used the information in the service manual, which I will attach here.

Notice how, on my '01 Camaro SS, neither the power nor the ground connection is shown going to the PCM. The power connection is fused off the ignition, and the ground connection is shown going to ground.

It sure looks to me like the heaters on the Camaro's stock narrowband O2 sensors are on whenever the ignition is on. So it looked like a very good place to ground the heater, to my eyes at least, since everything there is designed to handle the heater current.

Unless the drawing is wrong!

Otherwise, where you ground the heater won't make a difference for voltage offset, unless you ground it somewhere near where the pcm gets its ground. If you aren't going to use the stock harness, then the engine or the battery would probable be optimal. The cigarette lighter ground should be OK too, it's designed to handle a lot of current.

I knew the system ground and analog ground are tied together internally. But they brought two wires out because they expected the analog circuit to be hooked to an ungrounded input. In our application, both the analog ground and the system ground are the same point. The reason I show both wires connected to that point is because the two wires are likely coming from different parts of the circuit board (if they design like I do). That way, if there are any appreciable currents flowing in the system ground portion of the circuit, the analog ground is less likely to suffer an offset because of it. Most likely doesn't matter, but it depends on the currents and the size of the trace between the two wires. Having them both hooked up 'should' result in the lowest offset.

But in your revision of my drawing, you connected the analog ground to the sensor input, and disconnected it from the pcm ground. Since the analog input on the EIO is referenced to terminal 5, the analog current must now flow through the trace on the circuit board from where the system ground is connected. I contend that you would see less offset and noise with that wire connected as I originally showed it.

Bullygoat, maybe you should rename that file, it's named the same as the original. Might cause some confusion.
    **EDIT2** I decided to rename mine, because it should indicate it's only for the Camaro (I checked them all). So I pulled it, then realized the gif file is at work. So I'll upload it again, properly named, tomorrow when I get there, yes I work Sundays too once in awhile!

--97T--
    Last edited by NinerSevenTango; 07-08-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Here's the ground distribution schematic for the Camaro.
    Last edited by NinerSevenTango; 07-08-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Tuner in Training

The GTO DOES have switched heaters

The GTO does indeed have switched heaters, and must be hooked up according to BullyGoat's diagram.

Here it is:

Advanced Tuner
    HereĀ“s mine... it works good.
    Black Pontiac Trans Am WS.7- Runs on E85

And soon to be powered by Twin Turbos.

How to run your LS1 on E85

soundengineer, are you getting your ground and power from the cig lighter? or just the power and grounding to the chasis?
    99 T/A. g5x4 cam. Now trying to figure out how to tune it...

Advanced Tuner
    I edited my original drawing to fix the wire colors. I didn't realize that until 97T pointed it our to me.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by beamar
    soundengineer, are you getting your ground and power from the cig lighter? or just the power and grounding to the chasis?
    I'm doing both heater power and heater ground from cig lighter
    -Scott -

I wish I could find it...but I know that my file that had the camaro's had switching going on too...its not just the GTO's
    -Scott -

heres the one I have....
    listed in file for a camaro....
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Scott,

That looks the same as the one I posted above .... not switched.

I have access to a service manual CD and I checked them ... it shows no switching on the Camaros, and switching on the GTO. Do you have any info that shows different?

--97T--

Tuner in Training
    OK, maybe it doesn't make all that much difference, in most cars it's splitting hairs, but for some cars it's not .....

Runn WS7, your drawing shows a separate ground connection to the battery from the EIO terminal 5. When the OBD2 connector is plugged in, that creates a ground loop because pin 5 is already connected to the PCM ground. Maybe it's no difference, but under wrong conditions it could cause problems not just with the scanner but with the PCM also.

And again, Bullygoat, maybe it's no difference, I haven't pulled one apart yet, maybe those wires are soldered together in physically the same place on the LC-1 board. But if they are not, that analog ground should also be connected to terminal 5 of the EIO, to eliminate the possibility of a signal difference appearing between the analog ground and system ground wires, and getting picked up by the scanner.

I'll re-post that drawing tomorrow, couldn't get to it today. I'll label it for Camaro only. Unless Scott can come up with better info than what is available to me, that is.

--97T--