Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who all has Ford tuning experience?

Who all has Ford tuning experience?

I'm going to need to be tuning my friends '94GT and I'm wondering if anybody has any EEC-IV experience. Anything goofy about fords compared to the GM stuff that I should be aware of? Just FYI the car looks as follows:

-331 Stroker
    -AFR 165s
    -CompCam 224/232 Duration 112sep
    -30lb injectors
    -Performer RPM upper and lower
    -Bassani Equal Length shorties with matching o/r-x pipe
    -Pro-M Maf Sensor

The car is already suppose to be tuned using a chip but I want to start from stratch using the stock .bin and flashing the computer.

So what do you think?

-Mike
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Tuner

Re: Who all has Ford tuning experience?

I wish the best of luck flashing a EEC-IV computer.

Good luck with that Pro-M Maf Sensor, they can be headaches to tune.

Keep an eye on load and scale engine displacement to compensate for the "calibrated" maf.

Just curious, how are you tuning it?
    1998 Ws6 TA

Thanks for the reply. I'm going be using some stuff I got off of http://www.moates.net/ and an editor that I'm going to try from Paul Booth http://home.comcast.net/~booth.p/ . We'll see what happens. The new SCT book that is out is helping out alot http://www.sctflash.com .
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner

Interesting link, i'll have to read about it.

The SCT book is great, i've read it cover to cover, and it has lots of great information, Its really aimed at working with the advantage software, but the general theories are universal.

I'm not sure the control that program will give you , but the ford stuff is easier to understand than the gm stuff imho, as the maf controls fueling directly, so adjustments to that will cover the fueling needs, provided you have the correct injector values, ect.

Ryan
    1998 Ws6 TA

With the Ford it looks as if the MAF is "god" like you said. I'm trying to figure out how the car runs when the MAF fails. I haven't heard anything seen anything about that. I started with the GM stuff so of course the Ford stuff looks goofy to me but the same priciples apply. Suck, Sqeeze, Bang, Blow-mix some fuel and lite it and it's all good , lol.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner

There is a table "load with failed maf" Its basically a VE table, TP vs RPM. But since the ford lower maf boundary is 75 counts, (average car idles 100-250 counts) this table is primarily used for failed maf.

Ryan.
    1998 Ws6 TA

Tuner in Training

There are some hard rules for using Ford Maf's. Use stock, oem larger, period. I've been writing custom maf curves on Fords and GM's for quite some years, now, and the oem units will work best, and even if you have to buy it, worth it in the long and short term. They are more forgiving, as well, of air intakes, which have the same affect on a ford as changing to a different maf. 2nd item on the important sensor list, beside rpm. An incorrectly calibrated maf will change the calculated load, from the maf under-reporting the airflow, and will lean the fuel, and advance the timing-it is not uncommon on these crap aftermarket sensors to lean the fuel by 10%, and add 3-6* of advance, from the main tables operating in the wrong load cells.

Use these only:

stock, if it's big enough , the smallest ones were the stock 5.0 55mm

93 70mm cobra-still gotta write the inj slopes in, as the factory did.

90mm lightning, if you make some serious power-they are good to around 425-450rear wheel hp on a LOADED dyno.

Maf's run out of measurement, way before they run out of air. Load it, and see how close it gets to 5.0 volts, to see if it;'s maxed.

The 94-95 processors, part of the time ( agood part of it) have a problem running over 5400-5600rpm, regardless of the rev limit settings- it's an oscillator replacement, if this is a problem.

What else would you like to know?

jim

Tuner

Well said on the maf's.

I spend about 10% of my day working on headaches causes by "non oem" maf sensors

Ryan
    1998 Ws6 TA

Tuner in Training

10%? Is that all?

jim

Tuner

it used to be about 20-25%

But with the new Big Air meter's, people are learning that there is an OEM style meter that will support enough power for most street cars. 8)

Ryan
    1998 Ws6 TA

Yep, I'm running the BA2400 on my Cobra now and it works great.

Could I use my stock '03 Cobra 90mm MAF on this car? I think it is the same as the Lightning, right? Do you think there will be problems drivablity wise? I want to say no because it worked fine on my 281" motor, why won't it work good with my 331" motor? I almost feel a "no, you're wrong" coming because of something that the Ford does that is 'special', like I would have to scale something too much for the injectors because the '03 uses 39(42)s. Ok...I'm going to stop on that now...my head is starting to spin.

I'm getting confused with what I need to either reprogram the computer or burn a chip, I want something like HPT. I'm not as familier with the older stuff so I don't really know what is avalible for these.

Right now we're waiting on valves from AFR. It's holding up the show, they should be here tomarrow and then the heads can go together and on the shortblock, hopefully Friday we can get the new motor in the car.

I know this...the CR is going to be up on this one, around 11:1 and it's running on 91 so the tune will need to be spot on. Hopefully this doesn't *&#@ us later. If it does then it's getting AFR185s.

That's all I can think of now...thanks guys , glad I'm starting to see more Ford people around here, tell a friend .

-Mike-
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

The 94-95 processors, part of the time ( agood part of it) have a problem running over 5400-5600rpm, regardless of the rev limit settings- it's an oscillator replacement, if this is a problem.
    Can you explain this a little more ??? If I replace something then it's fixed?
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner in Training

This is an answer on both the 90mm maf compatibility, and the 94-95 osc problem.

On the maf: The mass air transfer function needs to be matched exactly to the maf meter's measurement curve-the oem units are best, and once you've written in the correct maf curve(and your other constants), it's in the ballpark.

The size of the maf:

The 90mm maf's flow around 800hp worth of air, but the stock meter cannot MEASURE that much. If you see it peg high 4's, up to 5 volts, on your dyno run(at around 450hp on a loaded dyno), then a bigger one (big air) is needed. But, keep in mind that a maf is like a torque wrench-it mesures most accurately in the middle of it's range, not as accurate on the ends.

The 94-95 processors-you'll know it, when you hit it(with the rev limit set high), and yes, an oscilator replacement soldered in fixes it. I think this may be the reason a bunch of non-knowing folks put the old A9L processors in-they don't do this.

jim

Tuner

"I'm getting confused with what I need to either reprogram the computer or burn a chip, I want something like HPT. I'm not as familier with the older stuff so I don't really know what is avalible for these. "

for a EEC-IV you will want to program a chip.

What are you using currently to tune your BA-2400 03 cobra?

Ryan
    1998 Ws6 TA

What are you using currently to tune your BA-2400 03 cobra?
    I'm using James@RWTD. I originally didn't plan on messing with this car as much as I have already. This was my inital plan:
    Leave it alone->which then turned into exhaust and a filter->a 2.93 pulley couldn't hurt but I had to get something to tune it, at the time I bought my friends Predator and just used the 'pulley tune'. Then Apten did the special in Dec on the ported blower so I did that and ended up with 480/450 to the wheels but the MAF was pegging, crap ->I had bought the filter from James@RWTD and he seemed to be respected so I payed what he wanted to get a tune for the car using the BA2400 which I also bought from him->now I have Bassani Midlengths on the car and at this point it doesn't look like it is going to end, I love this car. I should have been more honest with myself in the begining and realized that I wasn't going to leave the car alone.

I'd use the SCT stuff but the amount of cash I need to get the PRP and Raptor will put it at almost 1200 bucks, I'm use to what I payed for HPT but I guess when SCT is the only one offering this stuff you have to pay what they want and I congradulate them on being to first out there offering support for the end-user, I just don't have (maybe more like don't want to spend) that much for a tuning tool right now.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner in Training

I can't help you with the EEC-IV tuning, but I have some experience with the SCT Pro Racer Package and Raptor datalogger. I've used it all this year on my 99 Cobra, nitrous car. It is a very good package. I'm hoping HPT is as good, as that is what I will be getting to tune my wife's 02 vette. Here is a Ford pic....

http://www.joelynch.org/pen138launch.jpg

This car went 10.77 on a stock computer and a 150 shot, should go 10.50 with the tune improvements--eliminated lag going to open loop on launch and shifts, and eliminated sudden enrichment at the big end. We will see.

Joe
    2002 A4 Corvette, 1967 327 Corvette, 1999 Cobra Mustang \'vert nitrous car (10.7, 128), SCT Pro Racer Package for Ford tuning, HPTuner for Vette.

Advanced Tuner

Hey Joe is the package you are using restriced to VIN, Model, or anything like that?

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
    Hey Joe is the package you are using restriced to VIN, Model, or anything like that?
    Yes, the software is keyed to a specific computer, you have to get a key manually from SCT, even after some updates, and then the flasher you program with the software is VIN locked to one car. You get one custom tune with the software. The forum support for purchasers is pretty good.

You can add cars by buying another flasher and updating your software license to allow that processor to be tuned. It is a very good package, with some good but evolving, not perfect, documentation, not perfect.

The Raptor datalogger is not VIN locked or software locked. You buy the hardware, they give you the software, you use it on any Ford. Kind of like the Autotap arrangement. The datalogger is a separate product.

Those of us that tried to live with a TwEECer or custom chips on an EEC-V car love the SCT package. Those Ford owners who are new to tuning moan about the initial cost and the complexity of tuning. After they go through a little learning curve, they become quite happy with the package. This reaction is probably consistent with what happens here with HPTuner, which I ordered on Sunday.

Joe
    2002 A4 Corvette, 1967 327 Corvette, 1999 Cobra Mustang \'vert nitrous car (10.7, 128), SCT Pro Racer Package for Ford tuning, HPTuner for Vette.

Joe, I'm very intrested to hear what you have to say about the HPT package after you get use to it compared to the SCT PRP you use on your Cobra. Keep us posted .
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner

I'm interested too.

I've played around with both as well.

1998 Ws6 TA