Thread: nGauge Question

Senior Tuner

nGauge Question

I want to purchase an nGauge for my personal 2015 mustang so I can have an easier real-time logging ability and easier visual of some PIDs. But I have some questions.

First, if I buy an unlocked/HP Tuners version, I assume I will be able to export my current tunes I built and load them to the car without issue? Sale descriptions say it can be "Tuning can be enabled by our partner companies"

Second, should I assume whatever logging abilities I have now through VCM Scanner will be the same on the nGage? I had to have HP engineers specifically work on my OS so that I could get it to log, at first it would not log all but 4 or 5 PIDs. The fix was an actual update to my OS after I read it out, so I assume HP engineers tweaked my OS to be similar to the format that allows logging, but not sure.
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 09-14-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Senior Tuner
    May be faster to email [email protected] for clarification to your question. He is the main distributor and seems to have most of the answers. I don't know how much he monitors the forum.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Thanks I just emailed him

Senior Tuner
    I think Whipple even uses the nGauge to send out tunes now right? I just don't like not being able to view nGauge logs in the scanner. Makes remote tuning an adventure involving methods other than the typical VCM Scanner graphs.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    I think Whipple even uses the nGauge to send out tunes now right? I just don't like not being able to view nGauge logs in the scanner. Makes remote tuning an adventure involving methods other than the typical VCM Scanner graphs.
    That's correct, you can view the output in the VCM scanner but histograms do not populate. I am not using this for full blown tuning process, just a way for quick and dirty logs of basic stuff (knock, trims, MAF, etc) so when I have a passenger there isn't a laptop sitting there.

Advanced Tuner
    Based on my current experience with the nGauge...

Datalogs:

They are .csv files, not .hpl, so you CAN view them in HPT scanner, how ever they will not load histograms, and some of the channels won't load in graphs either, you can only rely on the channels.

Available channels/PIDS:

the nGauge has it's own defined PID list, chances are whatever PIDs you worked with HPT engineering will not appear, there are a lot of PIDs that cannot be logged, IPW, IDC, ANY and ALL sources e.g. torque, throttle, driver demand, etc etc, MAF period, and the list goes on.

Tuning:

If you licensed your car with 2 HPT credits(not unlimited licensed) then you just go into the file>export>emotion in order to create the ".enc" file for your tune, load that into the custom tunes folder on SD card for nGauge and you can load it into the car using the nGauge.

Senior Tuner
    Well I have a log from a Lund config file from an ngauge, torque source is there at least. PIDs in the log are:

absolute load in percent
    accel pedal position relative
    air control temp F
    ambient air temp F
    barometric pressure
    cylinder head temp C
    desired alternator voltage
    engine coolant temp F
    fuel pump duty cycle
    intake air temp
    knock Sensor
    lambse bank 1