Thread: Air intake temp sensor

Tuner in Training

Air intake temp sensor

Hi I was wondering if I could run a seperate air intake temp sensor instead of the one in the maf sensor. I installed a "cold air intake"
    which only draws in the hot engine bay air but also gets the temp sensor quite hot which I believe is causing the engine to become very sluggish when hot. The timing goes down to -10deg when accelerating from a stop. I disconnected the temp sensor in the maf which makes it better but it always reads -40. Any ideas?

Sure if you want too. Most move it closer to the filter end.

Sounds like other issues if the timing retards all the way to -10 degrees without any actual knock and just high intake temps.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I installed one in my intake. Order the Delphi sensor with the harness to make the job easier. I also ordered a new MAF harness-harness online for 12$ so I don?t destroy the factory one. The -40 is the default failure setting. Found that out not plugging the harness for the temp sensor in all the way

Tuner in Training
    The timing only retards to -10 on hot days stuck in traffic when acceling from a complete stop. When the engine is cool it runs excellent but I had noticed the intake air temp climbs to 145-150deg in 85deg weather. Can anything else cause this type of issue?

if You pull in hot air from engine bay, IAT can get up there pretty high. Is the air filter in the engine bay or did you use the factory air box? I have found better results adapting the factory air box as it pulls in cold air from outside the engine bay.

Tuner in Training
    I couldn't find a factory box for this engine so I bought the aftermarket pipe that has the filter in engine compartment behind the left headlight.
    I added a new temp sensor and mounted it low near the bumper.

Tuner in Training
    You need to get rid of that hot air intake ... box it in, get outside air!