Thread: new to tuning, good knowledge of the basics.. read me because your bored.

Tuner in Training

new to tuning, good knowledge of the basics.. read me because your bored.

while im sure there are a shit tons of these threads and i just read a bunch of them, looking for the best articles to start reading. im very familiar with EFI and understand the concepts of of it all so im a little smarter than the average bear. really looking for info on if multiply items in the tables by ___ whats gonna happen and where are things gonna go. i understand MAF vs speed density, but are there way to "trick" something in doing something to accomplish something? sure after how many people of tuned an LS there has to be a good formula to follow since there are only X amount of ways it can be. anyhow all knowledge is good knowledge so i look forward to your recommendations.

Do you have an example of what you mean to trick something?

There are tricks or work arounds for things like very large injectors or using a computer with a small max injector limit. Where doubling the stoich ratio, half the injector flow rate and IVT terms to basically double your injector limit.

As far as multiplying tables or doing thing like that it's fairly easy to grasp. Say the airflow model was pretty close to dialed but a little lean up top in the RPM range. If it's using the stock dynamic airflow settings it would be using the MAF above 4,000rpm so this would be the table to use to add too. You could take the MAF curve above say 7,000hz and add 5% worth to the curve to increase the fuel. Take the highlighted section and times it by 1.05, click = and it would add 5%, then smooth the table. Removing fuel would be opposite, do .95 instead. Not sure if this is helpful or what you are asking about.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Do you have an example of what you mean to trick something?

There are tricks or work arounds for things like very large injectors or using a computer with a small max injector limit. Where doubling the stoich ratio, half the injector flow rate and IVT terms to basically double your injector limit.

As far as multiplying tables or doing thing like that it's fairly easy to grasp. Say the airflow model was pretty close to dialed but a little lean up top in the RPM range. If it's using the stock dynamic airflow settings it would be using the MAF above 4,000rpm so this would be the table to use to add too. You could take the MAF curve above say 7,000hz and add 5% worth to the curve to increase the fuel. Take the highlighted section and times it by 1.05, click = and it would add 5%, then smooth the table. Removing fuel would be opposite, do .95 instead. Not sure if this is helpful or what you are asking about.
    exactly what im talking about. so the multiplication is basically for a decimal to % conversion. 5% is 1.05 and 50% = 1.50 correct? as far as the trickery, i know that the data language i use for my work is very old and sometimes if you plug in a certain # or do a certain thing out of the norm is tricks or fools the computer into thinking something. most often this is a flaw in the software or data language that never go fixed. just curious as to stuff like that. example the 88% WOT topic i read. so on the injector table say from 2300-3500 rpm i think is need a bump of 5% more fuel for some reason, i just highlight the selection and multiply by 1.05? do the tables adjust themselves based off your new numbers or input?

Correct, 1.05 is 5% and then 1.50 would be 50% when you multiply.

The 88% throttle is just what the scanner reports for WOT on the tps channel, some cars are even 83-84% in the GEN 4 platform. The GEN 3 stuff will all read 100%.

Maybe I miss understand the way you worded the last past but the injector flow rate tables themselves should never be changed unless you went to larger/smaller fuel injectors. That data is a set and forget table. If you needed to add fuel in that 2300-3500 range to make the actual AFR match the commanded AFR, that's done through the airflow model. So with both the MAF/VE or in many cases just the VE depending on if it's a speed density tune or not. (SD does not use the MAF)

There is no auto learn or anything like that where the calibration can just adjust themselves. In these vehicles only the o2 sensors can try to bring the fueling back in based on what they are reading through the exhaust. So if the sensors were reporting a rich condition they would do their best to bring it back closer stoich but that's are far as they go, the actual calibration adjustments are still needed by the user to correct the problem.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.