Thread: 98 Knock Retard... Oh Joy.. Opinions?

Tuner in Training

98 Knock Retard... Oh Joy.. Opinions?

Hey all.. just figured I'd throw up a couple images from one of my many HPTuners sessions. I'm pulling 4* KR at WOT and the car has been doing this for what seems to be the last two years. Being I have a 1998, and have done a pile of reading and searching I'm willing to be this is because I have the older crappy knocks in the car.

At any rate, I only see 24 degree's of timing at WOT which isn't a good thing as if I added the 4 back in it'd be 28 which is what I should see. My friend's 1999 TA doesn't do this at all. I've done VE tuning on the car too now and I'm no closer to where I want to be. Here's some attached scans... am I thinking along the right lines?

Thoughts?
    1998 WS6 M6

Advanced Tuner

Re: 98 Knock Retard... Oh Joy.. Opinions?

More information please:

Modificatons?
    Engine specs?
    Cam?
    Heads?
    Intake/exhaust?
    A4/M6?

Knock could be caused by any number of things.

Whats your AFR on the Dyno?
    Can you hear it inside the car?

Tuner in Training

Re: 98 Knock Retard... Oh Joy.. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by MNR-0
    More information please:

Modificatons?
    Engine specs?
    Cam?
    Heads?
    Intake/exhaust?
    A4/M6?

Knock could be caused by any number of things.

Whats your AFR on the Dyno?
    Can you hear it inside the car?
    Ahh sorry man! That would help I guess!

Mods (All engine related):

- QMP Lid/K&N
    - Free Ram Air
    - EGR cut shorter (not removed)
    - Pacesetter Longtube headers
    - TSP 3" Catted Y Pipe
    - Muffler bypassed on stock exhaust (home-made borla style)
    - PCV Catch can.
    - Seafoam ran through motor at beginning of May to clean it out real good

So basically it's got nothing crazy done to the engine. The car is an M6 and I've got an LS6 clutch in it from the Z06 vette. I don't know what my AFR is on the dyno as I've never had the car one a wideband setup (not many around here). The car made 315/330 to the wheels last year (without the headers or Y-Pipe) on the dyno though so that's not too bad.. I only picked up HPTuners this year so I haven't had a chance to log on a dyno pull and see if I'm having timing pulled there too...

Someone mentioned to me that I should change my fuel filter and see. The car has 48,000 miles on it and probably the original fuel filter. The car was throwing knock retard all last year (I sold my ASP Pulley because I thought it was the culprit) and I'm willing to bet it's been doing it all along.

Thanks for the response man!
    1998 WS6 M6