Thread: Ls cam sensor delete?

Advanced Tuner

Ls cam sensor delete?

Hello, this might sound stupid but i'm trying to adapt a 411 ecm to a ford 351w to be able to tune it properly. Making the crank trigger and everything work doesn't seem so hard but i can't see a easy solution to mounting the cam sensor. Is it really neccesary? I have read that the cam sensor determines if the engine is on it's combustion stroke or compression stroke. If the ecm doesn't know that, the coils will fire in waste-spark mode or something which should not be a biggie because the car is only a race car. But what other issues could arrise from not running the cam sensor? Would the injectors know when to open? Thanks for your input.

These motors do not have a distributor so it is vitally important that the ecu knows when the crank is on the combustion or exhaust stroke for firing the coils and also for sequential fueling. You will make more power and get better efficiency with sequential fueling.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 12-09-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Why can't you use the cam syncronizer that ford used? like this one: http://dragonfabrication.com/product...oduct=DF200101

or this: http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/...chronizer.html

They are 1x sensors that you can drop in at any clock position you like and they are a 3 wire 5v sensor just like the gm ecu uses.

Senior Tuner
    Will run fine without a cam sensor signal. You can experience an extended crank but the PCM can determine TDC on compression stroke eventually during cranking and once running sync everything off the crank sensor. There is no batch fire or wasted spark mode on these pcms.

Senior Tuner
    And it must set the cam sensor DTC to start without the sensor. . If you set it to no error reported it will not start. You can set it to No MIL to avoid the SES light being on.