Thread: Controller Unlocker: Web Exeption - Name resolution Failure

Controller Unlocker: Web Exeption - Name resolution Failure

Hello.

I tuned a 2017 Ford Diesel Truck. Did a read, licensed, everything as usual.
    When I attempted to flash, I got the error Controller Unlocker: Web Exeption - Name resolution Failure

I'm using latest Beta in a virtual machine because I don't want to mess my current 3.4/2.24. Both are working really really good so I don't want to touch it.
    My VM has no internet because I don't have antivirus on it.

Long story short, I had to enable internet so 3.7 was able to flash. Why is that? I had the idea only 2017 GM needed internet to get the key from server. Unlike GM this Ford truck didn't need internet to read, only to write.

Why?
    Is there a list of year/models we need internet to be able to flash? I did a few changes after the first write and had to enable internet every time.
    Today I tested a 2015 with 3.6 and didn't need internet.

Best Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Hello.

I tuned a 2017 Ford Diesel Truck. Did a read, licensed, everything as usual.
    When I attempted to flash, I got the error Controller Unlocker: Web Exeption - Name resolution Failure

I'm using latest Beta in a virtual machine because I don't want to mess my current 3.4/2.24. Both are working really really good so I don't want to touch it.
    My VM has no internet because I don't have antivirus on it.

Long story short, I had to enable internet so 3.7 was able to flash. Why is that? I had the idea only 2017 GM needed internet to get the key from server. Unlike GM this Ford truck didn't need internet to read, only to write.

Why?
    Is there a list of year/models we need internet to be able to flash? I did a few changes after the first write and had to enable internet every time.
    Today I tested a 2015 with 3.6 and didn't need internet.

Best Regards.
    I've ran into this with a laptop. It is not easy feeding my laptop internet & then also be susceptible to viruses. The machine I use is not intended for online use, only offline tuning with select intervals of going online for major system software updates.
    Another hidden risk & cost that I do not approve of.
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Agreed.
    I have been using my tuning laptop for years without any single problem keeping it offline.
    I have another which used to be my main machine and it's plagued of problems, it's slow and freezes all the time. It's not that old, it just was used online everyday.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Unfortunately most of the newer ecm's will need an unlocking mechanism only provided via online server connection, don't kill the messenger. If you don't want to tune the vehicles that require it that up to you but unfortunately this is the route vehicle manufacturers have gone love it or hate it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    this is not a newer module. If anything it is one of the many dated ones & is no longer being updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Unfortunately most of the newer ecm's will need an unlocking mechanism only provided via online server connection, don't kill the messenger. If you don't want to tune the vehicles that require it that up to you but unfortunately this is the route vehicle manufacturers have gone love it or hate it.
    So, internet connection is only needed for 2017+ controllers and pre 2016 should not be affected?
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    So, internet connection is only needed for 2017+ controllers and pre 2016 should not be affected?
    There might be a few fords affected, off the top of my head I'm not 100% certain. I know with GM its currently only 2017+
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I've had to access the internet when working with an 08 GM vehicle.