Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Excursion 6.0 - HELP - NO START AFTER READING THE TRUCK.

2003 Excursion 6.0 - HELP - NO START AFTER INITIAL READ. *** RESOLVED SEE POST 17 ***

Tonight I hooked up my HPTuners to my Excursion for the first time.

I performed a read entire.

Cycled through the different PCM, TCM, and FICM. No problems.

Saved the Stock Tune.

Now the truck is a brick.

Wont crank, wont start, nothing. Turn the key to the on position, THEFT light flashes rapidly, wait for the WTS light to go out, turn the key to the on position. NOTHING. NOT A CLICK. NOTHING.

Disconnected the Batteries for 1/2 hour.

NOTHING

Checked all fuses are fine, relays are fine, batteries are new as of today.

OBDII port has power, but HPTuners reads nothing. My superchips tuner for my 7.3 reads NOTHING. My FORSCAN reads NOTHING. All of them tell me to turn the Key to the On position.

FORSCAN was able to read the truck just fine, and ran it through all of it's tests right before I hooked up HPTuners.

HPTuners reads and writes my Chevy PCM in my Twin Turbo Vette just fine.

I'm FURIOUS right now.

To make matters worse, I licensed the tune, and the FICM has a different VIN number in the saved stock file, and the licence didn't apply to the FICM. So now I can't do anything with the tune even IF the truck wasn't Bricked.

Oh... and the truck is blocking my other car in the garage... so I can't even get that out to get to work in the morning. PERFECT!
    Last edited by Kaploww; 12-30-2017 at 07:20 AM.

ok im no expert but i loaded a tune one day and the progress bar would stay at 100 and the close wouldn't light up let it sit for 20 or 30 still nothing so i ctrl alt delt task and closed well truck wouldn't do anything either so i reloaded a tune i think stock tune back in after i reset my laptop and it worked worth a shot might not work but did for me that day.

I wasn't loading a Tune.

I was reading the stock Tune for the first time.

Well... After 14 hours of diagnosing, and getting ahold of an IDS system and module, I was able to bring it back to life.

I had to flash the PCM, FICM, and TCU, and then tell the Truck I installed a new PATS module, and it started... That was a lot of work.

Now... How do we go about getting my files fixed so they work with HPTuners?

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Disable pats. Basically what happened was pats freaked out because you read the stock program. It plays nanny. Thats what I'm gathering from this.

No. The PCM was nuked. There was ZERO data on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaploww View Post
    No. The PCM was nuked. There was ZERO data on it.
    Look in My Documents\HP Tuners\Settings and locate the debug.dat file. Send that over to [email protected] and link them to this thread. Ask for it to be assigned to me. The debug.dat file is a copy of all the communications between the MPVI and the other modules, so we should be able to pinpoint where things went wrong. First issue I've heard of like this. We will get it solved.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Wow. Never heard of that happening on one of these. Learn something new everyday.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    from the looks of it there was a battery/wiring related issue that caused the vin change write to fail. Not necessarily out of line with a 15 year old car to have electrical gremlins
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Well... The HPTuners cable just did the exact same thing again...

Once again, truck was on a battery charger. Followed instructions to a T.

FORSCAN had zero issues reading the truck, and all parameters.

Superchips had zero issues reading the truck, and flashing the PCM/TCM to a modified file, and then back to the stock file.

Plug in HPTuners to read the stock file, conduct a read, and Boom. PCM is erased.

Turn the key to the ON position. The Fuel pump wont come on, the Injectors wont buzz, NOTHING happens.

This isn't my first time around the block. I've been programming cars since 2002 with a wide array of engine management systems/flashing programs.

This isn't a voltage issue. Something in your software is wiping the PCM. This time I had the common sense to move the truck out of the way from blocking my other car in the garage first.

Guess its back to my buddies shop first thing in the morning to borrow his IDS again to flash the Truck back to a running condition again.

It's pretty frustrating to have an issue with your software/cable, spend $100 to licence the vehicle, and be told that I am having a voltage issue, or wiring issue, and yet I am able to read from and write to the PCM with other cables without issue.
    Last edited by Kaploww; 12-23-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Do what Eric said if you haven't yet so they can try and help you with the problem. Did they suggest a new cable?

I wonder if a offboard tuning setup is going to be required to remove the engine/body harness from the picture.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 12-23-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I did.

They told me my truck is old, and was having voltage/wiring issues.

Amazing how I?m able to connect and flash all the modules with IDS without issue... yet... when I hook up with HPTuners it wipes the PCM clean.

I?ll video tape the read next time.

Huh... weird...

Flashed the PCM, TCM, and FICM with my low voltage batteries, and through my old wiring again and the truck fired right up.

Weird...

This issue is still not resolved.

For some reason I feel this is related to pats.

Nope.

Resolved.

I found some old versions of HPTuners in my downloads folder dating back to 2014 from my OCD updating habits.

I tried everything from the 2.24.1172, 2.25 Beta and got checksum errors for the 2.25 version and below

I tried several versions of 3.0 that wouldn't even read the PCM until I came across version 3.2.28

I installed 3.2.28 that I downloaded in July of 2016.

I performed a read on the vehicle and it performed flawlessly. The VIN was finally successfully written to the PCM.

After that, I installed the 3.7 Beta in a separate folder.

I performed a read. I was given an error, that reads as follows.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeExceptio n(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
    at System.Collections.ObjectModel.Collection`1.get_It em(Int32 index)
    at .?.?(? ?, IProgress`1 )
    at ?..()
    at ?.?.(? ?)
    at .?.?(Object , EventArgs )
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2600.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    VCM Editor
    Assembly Version: 3.7.1043.0
    Win32 Version: 3.7.1043
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/HP%20Tuners%20-%203.7/VCM%20Suite%20(Beta)/VCM%20Editor.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.4
    Assembly Version: 4.6.20142.844
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/HP%20Tuners%20-%203.7/VCM%20Suite%20(Beta)/VCM%20Editor.exe
    InTheHand.Net.Personal
    Assembly Version: 3.5.605.0
    System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
    C1.Win.C1Chart.4
    Assembly Version: 4.0.20142.24286
    C1.Win.C1Chart3D.4
    Assembly Version: 4.0.20142.24286
    System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2600.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    {b5a705b4-67fe-4c46-a545-9d5b73aa7148}
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I get this same error regardless of whether I am attempting to read the Excursion in version 3.7 or version 3.6

I closed the program, reopened HPTuners, and was able to successfully read the vehicle in 3.7.

I sent HPTuners an additional $100, ordered up two more credits so I could licence the FICM.

Performed a 'Write Entire' to all three modules, and was successful.

So far... so good.

I am able to start the vehicle after both reads and writes now.

There was something going on in the Version 3.6 and Version 3.7 software that would not allow me to write the VIN to the PCM when reading the Vehicle for the first time without Erasing the PCM entirely.

Now, I am still experiencing this error every time I attempt to connect to the vehicle for the first time when I initially open the software.

However, after I close the software and reopen it, the software works flawlessly.

Bonus though, when I opened the Version 3.2.28, there were some features in the 3.2.28 software that are not in the later versions.

So... I went ahead and retained that version installed in a separate folder.

Well, that's two weeks of my life, and about 100 or so hours of trying different methods to get this PCM/TCM/FICM to be able to read and write, reflashing the PCM with IDS and a VCM II module after it was wiped clean, attempting another avenue of approach, reflashing... so on and so forth, but... it finally works.

Now I was finally able bump up my idle to 1400RPM when it activates cold start mode, and have it activate 30 seconds sooner... HAHAHA... That's all I wanted to do...

Now that that's done... I'm gonna start slowly increasing power output and learn to calibrate diesels to the same high level of proficiency, accuracy, and safety I can calibrate Gassers.

Time to hit the books/forums, learn all I can, and order a set of gauges, so I can start calibrating this beast.
    Last edited by Kaploww; 12-30-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Glad you got it sorted out, it will be interesting to here what Support has to say.

Proper tuning made a night and day difference in my buddys 04 I played with.

That's interesting. I was just thinking pats as far as I know only came on excursions.

Its definitively the new software.

3.6 and 3.7 freak the fuck out when I try and flash or read the PCM.

If I run 3.2.28 I have ZERO issues reading or writing to the PCM.

As soon as I run 3.6 or 3.7 Beta the error messages are present.

I haven?t tried hooking up to customer vehicles with 3.6 or 3.7 and I?m afraid I?m going to nuke their PCM.