Thread: Won't stay in OP MP

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Won't stay in OP MP

Not sure whats up with this but when I go wot sometimes it will go to OP but then will drop out of OP and into map point 7 which is basically an economy mode. I've tried a bunch of different settings but none of them will allow me to stay in OP mode at wot. TIA
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Here is another scanner log using the same .hpt file, shows VCT dropping out of Optimum power to best fuel economy @ wot, not exactly what I'm after lol

From what iv'e seen the map points follow the cam actual location regardless of OP Mode or not. They will target OP cam angles when in OP mode, but if it's closer to a non OP cam angle value it will use that Map point. I think if you want it to stay in map point OP you have to keep your cam actual angles close to where your OP cam timing is targeting by cleaning up any error and keeping the non OP values further away. I've been meaning to do some testing to verify this with changing the non OP map point cam angles away from what the OP angle targets in certain areas.

Disregard, this is to keep your map point in MPOP while in OP mode
    Last edited by bbrooks98; 01-25-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Looking at your log it shows you dropping in to fuel economy mode while WOT. Try lowering your OP aircharge Load at WOT load like mentioned in the other thread today to 1.05 in boost rpm areas, this is exactly what i was referring to when it happened on mine.
    Last edited by bbrooks98; 01-25-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, it dropping out because of cam angles, I ran into this last night when testing new angle with a 2018 manifold on a NA car, ran fine during initial pulls, changes cam angles a bit, then would drop out of OP and into map 0 and 1 blend 6800rpm +, which coincided with the RPM here I changed angles.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Yeah, it dropping out because of cam angles, I ran into this last night when testing new angle with a 2018 manifold on a NA car, ran fine during initial pulls, changes cam angles a bit, then would drop out of OP and into map 0 and 1 blend 6800rpm +, which coincided with the RPM here I changed angles.
    I'm under the assumption it's the other way around, in that it's mode dependant, not cam angle dependant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I'm under the assumption it's the other way around, in that it's mode dependant, not cam angle dependant.
    two seperate things.

The mode is the main concern first. Can you try setting the WOT airmass load [ECM 44353] lower to see if you get the same results?
    Last edited by bbrooks98; 01-25-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Modes are determined by load/RPM/ baro

If you have them over lapping, like you lowered OP but not drivability or fuel economy, it can snap to a MP correlating to one of those other modes if it gets close to it.

Had similar issue. I see your VCT best drivability min desired load table is set to all 5. Try them all back to stock. I believe by setting those loads to all 5 causes an issue with the calculations for mapped pts.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks98 View Post
    two seperate things.

The mode is the main concern first. Can you try setting the WOT airmass load [ECM 44353] lower to see if you get the same results?
    Its what I'm testing right now.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks98 View Post
    two seperate things.

Did some testing, had some issues, make some more changes, some back, some forward but positive results from the two pulls I did after the "issues" I'll post the tune & scanner log.

As you can see it goes into OP MP for pretty much all of both wot stints and holds the optimum power VCT schedule for both of the runs, only time will tell if the changes were the true fix but either way thank you for all your input as always guys.

When I say back when I was at a local dyno day I had xx tune in it so I took some of the data from that one, plopped it in, adjusted only the higher rpm areas of that WOT OP table, this appears to help get rid of some driveability surge issues I have when this table is set to stock(GHuggins helped guide me a bit there previously) and lowered the higher rpm area load where I tend to not be part throttle at ever anyway so best of both worlds for me.

Interesting at the lower rpms in the WOT table you kept the values higher and it worked for OP mode. Now Murfie can tell us why lowering that table seemed to work. haha On s550s i've seen they seem to run with the higher values no problem?

Now you got the same thing I got going on where it goes to MPOP then drops to others then back to MPOP which is what i want to experiment with next with the valve angles.
    Last edited by bbrooks98; 01-25-2018 at 09:53 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah I wanted to start experimenting with valve angles as well, kind of hard if it won't consistently stay in optimum power vct schedule lol. Curiously both of my dyno runs were 100% optimum power mp, sometimes its like the car has a mind of its own which doesn't make tuning any easier for sure.

Senior Tuner
    If you are changing those tables, you should be logging calculated load and either ETC torque or driver demand torque, to see what it is you are changing.