Thread: TQ RED. < Driver Demand

TQ RED. < Driver Demand

I am having TQ RED. < Driver Demand showing up under WOT.

Any idea how to eliminate this?

Tune and Log file attached.

Tq Red Issue Tune.hpt
    TQ Red Log.hpl

Tuner
    Hey mrshanab, looking at the tune you uploaded and comparing it to another '17 3.5 it looks like you raised the row label values for the spark cylinder pressure table, but lowered the values in the actual table. I'd raise the row label values to the 2.2 air load it looks like you're aiming for, and also raise the max spark somewhat so you're not riding the cyl. pressure limit as much. Also take a look at the Airflow -> General -> Map Maximum under IPC, you're also exceeding values in that table.

The throttle source being tq red. < driver demand just means you're hitting a limit somewhere, if you look at all the other sources you'll see which limits are active (the max and max protection sources don't normally cause limiting if all the other sources are in their 'standard' positions). Then its just a matter of chasing them down. I suspect you're having a spark issue causing you to have popcorn and cyl. pressure limits show up, logging octane knock octane modifier will help with sorting spark out as well.

There are several areas of your tune that should be blended together better so the ECU doesn't cause sudden changes like you're see. A lot of your torque limits are magnitudes higher than they need to be, and your WOT Lambda table also does a pretty drastic jump from 4000->4500 rpms. Smoothing some of those tables out and replacing some of the 'maxed' values you put into several of the torque tables with values that are more sane (try something like multiplying stock by 1.5 to start with) will help with diagnosing tune issues as well.

Senior Tuner
    Table 44823 you have it maxed out, but it seems to still be using the stock value for commanded torque. Try lowering this to 700 and do a write entire when flashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Puggyberra View Post
    Hey mrshanab, looking at the tune you uploaded and comparing it to another '17 3.5 it looks like you raised the row label values for the spark cylinder pressure table, but lowered the values in the actual table. I'd raise the row label values to the 2.2 air load it looks like you're aiming for, and also raise the max spark somewhat so you're not riding the cyl. pressure limit as much. Also take a look at the Airflow -> General -> Map Maximum under IPC, you're also exceeding values in that table.

The throttle source being tq red. < driver demand just means you're hitting a limit somewhere, if you look at all the other sources you'll see which limits are active (the max and max protection sources don't normally cause limiting if all the other sources are in their 'standard' positions). Then its just a matter of chasing them down. I suspect you're having a spark issue causing you to have popcorn and cyl. pressure limits show up, logging octane knock octane modifier will help with sorting spark out as well.

There are several areas of your tune that should be blended together better so the ECU doesn't cause sudden changes like you're see. A lot of your torque limits are magnitudes higher than they need to be, and your WOT Lambda table also does a pretty drastic jump from 4000->4500 rpms. Smoothing some of those tables out and replacing some of the 'maxed' values you put into several of the torque tables with values that are more sane (try something like multiplying stock by 1.5 to start with) will help with diagnosing tune issues as well.
    Thanks for the reply

I forgot to mention my reg is a 2017 Raptor.

will report back with findings.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Table 44823 you have it maxed out, but it seems to still be using the stock value for commanded torque. Try lowering this to 700 and do a write entire when flashing.
    Thanks murfie.

Will you please tell me which table number is for the commanded torque?

Senior Tuner

Still fighting the limiters of :
    • Turbo FMEM
    • Waste Gate Air Flow
    • Combustion Stability

Last Tune Adjustments and Log File Attached
    Limited.hpt
    LimitedLog.hpl
    Stock.hpt

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mrshanab View Post
    Still fighting the limiters of :
    • Turbo FMEM
    • Waste Gate Air Flow
    • Combustion Stability

Last Tune Adjustments and Log File Attached
    Limited.hpt
    LimitedLog.hpl
    Stock.hpt
    -Try raising and/or maxing [ECM]7140 Max Load for Part Pedal Combustion, I had issues with this limiting load at WOT previously which showed as a combustion stability limit, though not on the same ecu/engine you have.
    -For the turbo FMEM try raising the values in Airflow -> Turbocharger -> Compressor Outlet Temperature

Some Improvements:

• Got rid of the Turbo FMEM
    • Comp Stability is gone until 5500 rpm or so

Now trying to hit some more boost with no luck as of yet.
    TIP is way down than aimed for.

An more ideas guys?

Last tune and log attached

last loaded 1.hpt
    Last Loaded 1.hpl

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mrshanab View Post
    Some Improvements:

• Got rid of the Turbo FMEM
    • Comp Stability is gone until 5500 rpm or so

Now trying to hit some more boost with no luck as of yet.
    TIP is way down than aimed for.

An more ideas guys?

Last tune and log attached

last loaded 1.hpt
    Last Loaded 1.hpl
    You're running into issues I've not seen with the 2016 ecu's, so I'm starting to guess a bit at some of these. I have two guesses that might be going on, either you need to re-raise the max brake torque and max brake torque - spark limiting under combustion stability limit (I strongly suggest not maxing them, but raise them to a value out of range of what you'll hit, something like 450->600).

My other idea is kind of off the wall, the combustion stability is related to pressure, spark, and fuel, you're currently not logging your fuel source that I see, what I'm wondering is if fuel source is going to cat temp protect, but since you have the protection enrichment the same as your PE Lambda you're not seeing that happen. On the '16 ECU if torque starts becoming limited due to exhaust temp it will show that under torque limit source, but the new ecu may have changed how it handles that if the fuel enrichment isn't where it wants it at? Those could then lead to the ecu showing combustion stability limit instead of exhaust temp limit? I'm really guessing on all that and don't have much to back me up on that being the case at all. If you want to check though its probably worth you doing a log with fuel source and seeing if its changing, and/or potentially changing the exhaust temp protect lambda to something like .78 vs your .8 for PE just so you can see if that's what the ecu is trying to do.

If neither of those help you might trying PMing murfie or steven@hptuners as they seem have black magic available with these ecu's.

Senior Tuner
    https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1914411B1/en

Paragraphs 24,25,26 explain a lot on how and why combustion stability is monitored and why maxing out your threshold wont stop it.

You will notice that the limit has a minimum torque table. you could raise that up and probably eliminate it as thats the threshold combustion stability can or can not be used. Ideally you would want your tune to keep the torque values in their optimal ranges to avoid undesirable engine operation.

Tuner
    I may be misinterpreting that murfie, but the way I read that they have a reference value for how much cylinder pressure they're expecting under certain conditions and that is equated to your current (inferred) effective pressure. It seems the ECU can substitute torque instead of pressure as well. However if the torque you're producing is outside of a standard deviation from what they're expecting at the current operating conditions, then the ecu assumes its due to a combustion problem (presumably detonation, pre-ignition, etc). If that is how their equation works, then would it be too far of a leap to assume when you are operating the turbo at the edge, or slightly beyond of its flow efficiency, then you would probably be exceeding their cutoff values without actually having unstable combustion? Primarily due to losses from back pressure, cylinder design, and cam timing not being anywhere near what would be seen in the stock configuration and so hence not calibrated into the stock os?

I would like to add to this and also ask. It appears that most want to max out the "max map" under the combustion stability tab, but from what I understand if you are wanting to work with the safeties and such ford has in place, its set at 99.9 kpa stock. Anything over 100 kpa means you're in boost correct?