Thread: LC-1 Blinking.

Advanced Tuner

LC-1 Blinking.

My LC-1 was working fine all day long at the track. Made like 8 passes. Last time I started it to drive home after sitting, the LC-1 continues to blink and never go solid red. It was blinking 8 times, then would go to 2 blinks, then solid for awhile, then start doing the 8 times again. Last time it did this, the next morning when it was cool it started working again. This morning it started doing it again right away. What happened?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    that's an overheat code (the 8 blinks) (I believe, I don't have the manual readily available) for the LC1 (per the manual and per Innovates website) ... do a search on Innovate's forums website... common w/the LC1 ... mine does it all the time, I just unplug and plug back in after.... don't think I'll be going back to the LC1 though... likely will buy an LM1 over winter (had an LM1, it broke, bought LC1, it's a POS, so going back to LM1)
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

Advanced Tuner
    On the GTO, the only place I could weld in before the cat was very close to the motor. Only about 2 inches before the cat. Essentially right behind the stock 02. Could it have cooked the WBO2 sensor?

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

its possible....
    but that can be several things...

error 8

Sensor Timing error
    (typically a damaged
    sensor).

1. Sensor overheating.
    (The Bosch LSU4.2 is rated
    to operate at a sensor
    housing temperature of < 900
    degrees (measured at the
    bung) for maximum accuracy
    and control. When this
    operating temperature range
    is exceeded, the sensor can
    no longer be accurately
    controlled. )
    2. Sensor is damaged

though I have never had a problem on the GTO it is possible that its overheating...
    the way to check is to make a heat shield/sink
    go get a piece of metal flashing from a hardware store...cut it down to 4x4 inches square
    drill a hole for the sensor...
    install inbetween the exhaust and the sensor...bend teh edges around teh sensor slightly to give it some side protection as well...

then do a complete sensor recalibration....(might need to do the recalibration with the sensor out of the exhaust and before you install it into the exhaust pipes)...

if you still get the error 8...then you have a fried sensor and you need to figure out why...
    if you drove home with it blinking...then you probably have a fried sensor cause it need to be working right to heat properly and will damage easily if teh heater pump isnt on correctly

also on any car with a CAT...I have to use the heat shield/sink.....
    cat traps too much heat
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    That's what I was afraid of. I'll do a free air recal tonight.

Just in case, where is the cheapest place to get a replacement WBO2 sensor?

1stvwparts.com
    part # 021 906 262 B
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    That's what I was afraid of. I'll do a free air recal tonight.

Just in case, where is the cheapest place to get a replacement WBO2 sensor?

You have to follow the heater/free air calibration steps exactly. There is something about a 2 minute period while it warms up and calibrates the sensor.
    If you dont wait long enough the cal does not get set correctly and either sets the overheat code on as soon as you plug it in, or when you run it.

In fact until I hooked the LED up, I did not know it was "still doing something" with the calibration and unplugged it early. Bingo on the fail code.......

-Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners
    You have to follow the heater/free air calibration steps exactly. There is something about a 2 minute period while it warms up and calibrates the sensor.
    If you dont wait long enough the cal does not get set correctly and either sets the overheat code on as soon as you plug it in, or when you run it.

In fact until I hooked the LED up, I did not know it was "still doing something" with the calibration and unplugged it early. Bingo on the fail code.......

-Ken
    Yep...the calibration takes a while. That's why I'm glad I have the XD-16 gauge in mine...it actually shows you % complete while it does that. Some people also recommend doing the free air calibration with the car running, but I don't know if it holds any merit.
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02
    Yep...the calibration takes a while. That's why I'm glad I have the XD-16 gauge in mine...it actually shows you % complete while it does that. Some people also recommend doing the free air calibration with the car running, but I don't know if it holds any merit.
    you really cant do free air calibration with the car running.....has to be in FREE AIR where theres NO EXHAUST fumes
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    I tried the Free air calibration last night and I kept getting the 8 blinks. The sensor is fried I think. On the GTO there is very little room to mount it before the cat and the cat is located very close to the motor. Guess I need a heat shield then.

I took the sensor out of the exhaust bung and disconnected it from the LC-1. Then turned the LC-1 on and waited 60 seconds, then turned it off. Waited 30 seconds and plugged in the sensor(still hanging in free air). Does it need to be bolted back in? I let it sit there for a long time and it never stopped giving me the 8 blinks. It did get hot though.
    Last edited by PurplePiss; 07-18-2006 at 09:20 AM.

sounds like you need no cats

when I do a free air calibration..I just let it hang...no big deal...

and once ts done with calibration..it will either go steady or blink fast reporting an error....
    once it does that you either have to power down and hope the blinking goes away or get a new sensor..

when I built my heat shiled I just went to a home depot store and went over to where their roofing materials are..they had some metal flashing made to do corners that was already cut to 4"x8"..then I just cut it in half and bought the appropriate drill bit

it was an easy and chap fix for situations like yours...
    though you might need to do some custom cutting/shaping of the heat shield to get it up in there on your car...I know its kind of tight in there
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not sure if the tip is getting too hot or the entire sensor is. Being that close to the motor, the tip might be getting fried. Innovate makes a bung adaptor which shields the tip but its $89!!!! Yeah right.

I'm going to try and find some sheet copper, if not aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    I'm not sure if the tip is getting too hot or the entire sensor is. Being that close to the motor, the tip might be getting fried. Innovate makes a bung adaptor which shields the tip but its $89!!!! Yeah right.

I'm going to try and find some sheet copper, if not aluminum.
    It is a nice piece though...and should be at ~$100 shipped to your door. I've been very happy with mine.
    11.02 @ 130

Advanced Tuner
    ...its a chunk of threaded metal. Did you kill one due to heat and decided you needed that?

It's actually a well-designed chunk of stainless steel...and I actually haven't killed the sensor that this thing originally came with, but since I run the sensor full time in my header collector, I figured it was a good idea.
    11.02 @ 130

mine did the same thing but it was the POS LC-1 controller.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB