Thread: why did it die? (idle)

Advanced Tuner

why did it die? (idle)

Its a heads/cam ls1 with a fast 90mm throttle, i had the throttle open up until 0.7 volts and subtracted base airflow until it wouldn't hang, but then idle would feel like a switch, it would hang at 1500 rpm and then suddenly go down to idle at 800 rpm when coming to a stop, so i reset base airflow to stock and closed the blade to about 0.65v.

iac came up from 0 to around 40 it idles ok, hangs a bit but its bearable, if i subtract any base airflow it dies immediately after you start it.

now sometimes it dies randomly, i have a log showing that.
    the other thing is i have added to the follower airflow table and still stumblesthe same when i blip the throttle, im i missing something?

iddle dead.hpt
    in this log it idled ok for a couple of seconds after i put it in gear and then died.
    iddle dead2.hpl

in this one it died on Park
    iddle dead.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Set base air to 13g to start in hot area and raise values from there into the cold cells. Place a value of 16 in the coldest cell even and interpolate between the hot and cold to generate closer values to what it will actually need. It should get you idling at that value. Run the "Russ K Idle Config" to get those values correct. Idle spark advance in idle and drive should be a lot closer in value than you have there and should "blend" into your High Timing Table. I don't know your cam size, but you should be able to set both to 19-21* and have it idle fine with a cam in an LS1. Then use the over under spark tables to "fine tune" the idle. Depending on cam size, upping the idle RPM to 850 may be a good idea as well. That should get you started in the right direction.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I actually had the exact same issue with my car and the FAST 90mm throttle body. Turned out the TB was bad and was hanging up. Replaced it with a new Nick Williams throttle body and the issue went away completely.

Don’t always trust the RAF

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    ok, back from more idling, it wont start cold without some throttle so i couldnt record the completely cold part, found that the stumble happens whenever the car is on operating temp and the short term fuel trims reset to 0, im guessing its loading up when i turn the OL off, it commands 13.1 and i get 12.7 on the wb, then o2s star making it leaner up to 15.5 and reset back.

used the Russ K config and got the desired base air flow, changed it, then started the car again and the second time it was a much lower number, tomorrow i will do it again and see if it starts any better.

heres the logs and tune

iddle dead2.hpt
    iddle dead4.hpl
    iddle dead3.hpl

it still dies when i go from D to N

It looks like your RAF #'s are excessively high. Your VE table looks rough. Open up the VE table, and view it in split screen with 3D graph. You'll quickly see what I'm talking about. Compare your VE table to an all stock VE table, and you will see that your's needs a little smoothing.

When you did the Idle Config, did you disable ALL adaptive idle tables? If you don't disable all of those many, various, tables, you will get false data. Also, did you disable LTFT, and clear the stored LTFT memory before you did the idle config? If not=false data.

Advanced Tuner
    Did not disable adaptive idle, i did disable ltft and after a while the stft too as they where causing it to stumble every minute or so