Thread: Several problems with MPVI interface!

Several problems with MPVI interface!

OK, when I had my serial interface, I hardly EVER had a problem. It never randomly disconnected. It never ever failed during a write. It would always reconnect when it did disconnect. Well, now that I have the MPVI interface, its nothing but trouble. It constantly just disconnects and when it does, it will NOT reconnect. I end up either having to unplug the USB and plug it back in, close the software and start it up again, or unplug it from the car for 30 seconds then plug it back in. I'm not sure if it's me or what. Should I try a different USB cable than the one sent out? I noticed it's a little loose on the interface end. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

Senior Tuner
    What are your laptop specs? We are having zero complaints about the MPVI so this is either laptop, USB cable, vehicle related or you may have a problem with your interface.

Do you have a wideband hooked up? 12v inverter? How is your grounding setup.

We are going to need a lot more information about what it does, when it does it and what was going on when it did it (specific error messages if any).

-Ken

Senior Tuner
    I haven't seen this on mine but wonder if there are USB
    controller settings that might make it more tolerant of
    cable intermittents, etc; know on one of my junky old
    laptops I will get the blue screen & reboot just from
    wiggling the USB connector the wrong way. It's a very
    slow (233MHz) and outdated (Win2K SP1) machine.
    Dunno if lack of problems on my current one is due to
    a tighter connector socket, more tolerant software
    or some combination. Might look for driver updates
    for the USB stuff, with USB being a kind of evolving
    standard and all maybe there has come along some
    better error handling since the hardware was built.
    I know USB was one of the many Dell patches on
    mine.

You might want to do something like zip-tying the USB
    cable to the laptop case, many have those little
    security-cable holes at the corners that would do.
    Take the strain / wiggling out of the picture pretty
    much.

Ya know, mine gave me alot of 'trouble' the last couple of days like you're describing. I found that one of the screws for the OBD - MPVI cable had come slightly out of the MPVI housing, MAYBE a mm or 3, and once I screwed it back in and snugged the conncection up, it's been flawless. It was preventing the OBD cable from connecting 100%. Before I tightened everything, it would not connect for 5-10 tries, then it would, then it would loose connection, or work for a couple of mins and loose connection. It started happening with just the interface, was trying to blackbox it, and it would just ERR out, or start recording and crash in a couple mins.

Long story short, check all your cables for even the slightest loose connection. I was worried it was my interface going south for a lil while there...
    2005 Stage 2 Saturn Ion Redline
    260whp, 225wtq 14.0 @ 13.7 (2nd time dragging)

RedlineForums.com Moderator and Eager Tuning Noob.
    Chicago, IL

Well, the USB cable just feels a little loose, so I will try another USB cable. I'm confident the problem can be fixed tho. I'm not complaing, just askin' for help. I've made sure everything was nice and tight and did snug up one connection so will try again. Sometimes I got the message about HPT can see the cable, but the cable can't see the PCM. Other times I got the message about not being able to find the cable. I'm using a 12v inverter. My laptop is pretty new so I don't believe the specs of it are an issue. I do have a LC-1 wideband connected. Thanks for the replies. I will let you know hopefully tomorrow afternoon how it goes.

OK, well, I found the problem. I'm just not real sure how to go about fixing it. Of course, HPTuners has a flawless product. It turns out that its my OBDII port! The only way I figured it out, is the green led on the MPVI stays on even when the car's off, and it's plugged in. So, I noticed the LED wasn't on and wiggled the cables and if I wiggle the ALDL end of the cable, the green LED goes on and off until it catches just right I suppose. Anyway, does anyone know how I can somehow tighten this thing up? Is there something I can do to the port? Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Most likely they are just dirty.

Spray some contact cleaner on the vehicle connector and insert and remove the OBDII cable several times to dislodge any dirt/junk.

-Ken

Tuner in Training
    My dell had a crappy USB port.

I had it re-soldered and it still doesn't work right.

I got a card bus adapter with 2 usb ports and plugged it into my laptop and it works great

At least your car/laptop didn't eat the EIO...
    2005 Stage 2 Saturn Ion Redline
    260whp, 225wtq 14.0 @ 13.7 (2nd time dragging)

RedlineForums.com Moderator and Eager Tuning Noob.
    Chicago, IL