Thread: C5 dbw - simplified?

C5 dbw - simplified?

So I recently installed aftermarket efi on my c5 (Holley hp), but I'm retaining my c5 pcm for throttle body/bcm control so I retain full gauge cluster, cruise, traction, etc. The Holley just runs everything engine-related. So far the engine and car is running great.
    Since the dbw throttle feeds a tps signal to the Holley for reference, I get some interference from the tps rate of change in some Holley data logs which is affecting my Accel enrichment.
    My question I need clarification on, for dbw throttle tuning, what does the base running airflow do? If I zero it out, will the throttle angle change at all?

If I zero out the airflow tables for the follower/cracker, that should stop the throttle from physically fluctuating with a steady pedal position?

Basically I want the throttle to be as simple as possible since the c5 pcm has no control over the fueling or ignition anymore. I just need it to hold at idle and open/close with linear pedal pressure.

Also, I just remembered, the target idle rpm in the pcm, does the throttle body adjust to Target that rpm?

We do it the opposite way when doing Haltech installs in C5's. We take over the pedal and TB with the haltech so all idle and throttle control functions are controlled in one place. We then use a calibrated output to shoot a "TPS" signal back to the stock PCM. We then flash the stock PCM with ETC disabled in the options matrix so that it then thinks the engine uses a normal TPS sensor. We then configure traction control in the standalone for power management and cruise control if desired.

Doing it this way will keep the factory traction control via ABS functional still as well. It just won't have any control over the TB anymore.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

That's a fine way of handling things as well, but this house unit does not have dbw control, only the dominator does.
    I'm at work now otherwise I'd be in my garage testing out my questions posed above. Do you have the answers to any of my above questions as to basically how I can make the dbw as basic as possible in relation to pedal travel without modifiers?

The car runs great, I'd just like to cancel out some suspected causes behind minor issues

Yes the easiest way to approach this would be to not use the signals from the tps at all but rather use the pedal position for your tps input on the Holley this way it's always a steady signal in reference to your pedal position. This will more closely mimic your desired accel enrichment as well. We deal with this on the C6's when doing Haltech's since it's not easy to take over the throttle on them and simply disable them in the factory ECM.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Hey I know its been almost a year now and I have had success with basically using only the idle airflow to control a smooth idle from the GM PCM. However, the Holley ecu has not been happy with the tps input I have used off the pedal. There is micro tps signal at all times that have been a nuisance and wont let me use acceleration enrichment based off TPS, only MAP.
    While this has worked fine for the last year and many road racing sessions, I want it to be more proper and have upgraded to a new holley terminator max ecu which has dbw control. Thanks to your original post in this thread, I will mimic your Haltech install strategy. I do want to ask why you feed a tps signal back to the stock PCM? What benefit or feature has that kept alive on the C5? Is the tps signal used as part of the traction control algorithm?
    Lastly, I do not believe Holley ecu can output a copy of the TPS signal, So my two options are to split the pedal and throttle body tps signals to both ecu's and leave the GM PCM as dbw with the force motor wires disconnected (repinned to Holley) or I could disable dbw as you do, and tap into the single tps signal wire from the pedal into the GM PCM pin 24. What would you recommend?
    Last question, I mean it, With haltech how did you get the factory cruise control to work? Was there further wiring involved or does the cruise control work on the backend of the PCM and pedal after all this is done?

Thanks for reading and responding (I hope!)