Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mpvi2 pro pricing

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6Justin View Post
    Like most I think if this first ls project goes well there will be another one down the road, immediately I am thinking NA jeep project for myself. In that case the extra credits would be nice and not 'unnecessary' as indicated above.
    For reference the MPVI1 had make specific credits so if you bought a GM interface with 8 gm credits you still would've had to buy Jeep credits down the road(if you planned on keeping the Jeep ecm/engine). MPVI2 uses a universal credit system so there will no longer we wasted/extra credits if you plan on tuning multiple makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6Justin View Post
    So for the wideband I need the pro version $250 then the input box which might be 10 bucks it might be 200 depends on the level of greed.
    I'll indulge this a bit, this is similar to saying the shop who is charging $90hr plus tax plus parts to work on my car is a greedy because your thinking is that the tech is probably only making $20-30hr to work on your car so thats what you should be paying. The fact is that $60 left goes to social security, the mortgage/rent on the shop, taxes, the secretary up front, the accountant that does the books and a little of whats left goes to the owner.

Its the same here, we are a small company and our product is a niche product, we aren't having hundreds of thousands of these things mass produced for $20 a pop, so lets say it costs us $300 to build a certain product, just to physically build it and get it on our shelves, then add to that the packaging that we have to purchase, the person we had to hire to box them & ship them, the actual shipping costs from UPS, the support team that answers questions about the product, the building to house the support team, the engineers that map the definitions, the accountant that does our books, the engineer that designed, built and tested the product where do you set the pricing at? You can't set the price at the break even point or the company goes under, quick. Ultimately we believe our pricing structure for the MPVI2 is fair and with an initial cost of $399 to tune the majority of vehicles we support is the lowest in the industry. Using the track addict app you can datalog on your android phone on many applications with $0 additional costs. If you want additional features such as the expander hub, standalone datalogging straight to the mpvi2, etc it costs money for us to develop all those things.

Yes the mpvi1 was great but unfortunately it was 14 year old tech that parts were no longer available for. Over the years we had to source different, new, parts to replace ones that were no longer available. If you compare a 14 year old MPVI1 to one that was produced last year there were several internal differences. The MPVI1 lived alot longer than I really expected and that was due to some creative efforts to purchase large quantities of parts that were no longer being produced just to keep production going. And even though our costs went up every year on the MPVI1 we NEVER CHANGED THE PRICE IN 14 YEARS!
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    For reference the MPVI1 had make specific credits so if you bought a GM interface with 8 gm credits you still would've had to buy Jeep credits down the road(if you planned on keeping the Jeep ecm/engine). MPVI2 uses a universal credit system so there will no longer we wasted/extra credits if you plan on tuning multiple makes.

I'll indulge this a bit, this is similar to saying the shop who is charging $90hr plus tax plus parts to work on my car is a greedy because your thinking is that the tech is probably only making $20-30hr to work on your car so thats what you should be paying. The fact is that $60 left goes to social security, the mortgage/rent on the shop, taxes, the secretary up front, the accountant that does the books and a little of whats left goes to the owner.

Its the same here, we are a small company and our product is a niche product, we aren't having hundreds of thousands of these things mass produced for $20 a pop, so lets say it costs us $300 to build a certain product, just to physically build it and get it on our shelves, then add to that the packaging that we have to purchase, the person we had to hire to box them & ship them, the actual shipping costs from UPS, the support team that answers questions about the product, the building to house the support team, the engineers that map the definitions, the accountant that does our books, the engineer that designed, built and tested the product where do you set the pricing at? You can't set the price at the break even point or the company goes under, quick. Ultimately we believe our pricing structure for the MPVI2 is fair and with an initial cost of $399 to tune the majority of vehicles we support is the lowest in the industry. Using the track addict app you can datalog on your android phone on many applications with $0 additional costs. If you want additional features such as the expander hub, standalone datalogging straight to the mpvi2, etc it costs money for us to develop all those things.

Yes the mpvi1 was great but unfortunately it was 14 year old tech that parts were no longer available for. Over the years we had to source different, new, parts to replace ones that were no longer available. If you compare a 14 year old MPVI1 to one that was produced last year there were several internal differences. The MPVI1 lived alot longer than I really expected and that was due to some creative efforts to purchase large quantities of parts that were no longer being produced just to keep production going. And even though our costs went up every year on the MPVI1 we NEVER CHANGED THE PRICE IN 14 YEARS!
    I feel where you're coming from. I sell cars at a small carlot and people think all you have to do is go buy a car and sell it. You have to go to the auction, waste time looking over the car. Pay for the car plus high auction fees, get the car shipped safely back to the carlot. Then fix what needs to be fixed on the car. Clean the car. Answer a million would be buyers online and in text messages. Sell cars then pay taxes the following year. Pay bills at the building you're at and deal with inspections from the state����I feel you pain. Everyone thinks you have unlimited amount of money.

I deal with just about every company under the sun in regards to products like this. The price point, and customer support, from HP Tuners, is hard to beat. This new module just cut about $300 off the cost of tunes for early Ford cars. And sometimes, things don't go as planned. I'll email HP Tuners with what ever data I have, and I usually get it resolved pretty quickly.
    But I'm only paying attention to these posts lately only because I'm waiting for the Upgrade to be available.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie1134 View Post
    I deal with just about every company under the sun in regards to products like this. The price point, and customer support, from HP Tuners, is hard to beat. This new module just cut about $300 off the cost of tunes for early Ford cars. And sometimes, things don't go as planned. I'll email HP Tuners with what ever data I have, and I usually get it resolved pretty quickly.
    But I'm only paying attention to these posts lately only because I'm waiting for the Upgrade to be available.
    Won't be much longer, we have a few thousand 2's on order
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

2 weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post

MPVI1 we NEVER CHANGED THE PRICE IN 14 YEARS!

That's great.. but id be willing to bet that's because it was STILL cheap 😂. I bet in 14 years it paid for itself 14 times 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsports-X View Post
    That's great.. but id be willing to bet that's because it was STILL cheap ��. I bet in 14 years it paid for itself 14 times ��
    And in that 14 years, I'm sure there wasn't any updates? None? I bet you every one of these HP Tuners people have private yachts, and private islands, and the rest of this massive fortunate was spent on hookers and blow? That's the only logical conclusion?
    Or, maybe, just maybe, they are not releasing the price on this pro expansion hub, until they have invested hours/days/months figuring out how to make it work for us? This is all hypothetical on my part of course. Because I don't work for HP Tuners. I wish I did though. Because I want private yachts and private islands and dash of hookers and blow.

Cool story. Maybe they just want to sell as many pros as possible before they tell people its gonna be ANOTHER $300. I don't know these people they could be shady... or not. All i know is i'm about to spend over a grand and i want to know who i'm dealing with

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsports-X View Post
    Cool story. Maybe they just want to sell as many pros as possible before they tell people its gonna be ANOTHER $300. I don't know these people they could be shady... or not. All i know is i'm about to spend over a grand and i want to know who i'm dealing with
    we are shady, do not trust us. Ha ha seriously, we would like the price to be less than $100 for new purchasers so the yacht will be a very small one for this product, maybe a paddle boat in a pond

Also, there is no MPVI2 Pro, just an MPVI2 and a Pro Feature Set (software license) we haven't sold yet because it's not available. We are being as upfront as we can be at this time, just as we always have been. We are actively telling people with MPVI Pro's not to upgrade until they are convinced they need to, otherwise we would just say yeah upgrade, ooops! forgot to tell you there's no EIO or datalogging features, sucker! I'll probably be in trouble for giving you this pricing hint, but $300 is way off, so now you know.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Awe come on, it's obvious they are not shady, maybe greedy, but not shady!

Race cars not yachts ... Private NHRA level race shops not islands

So the $300 price point is way off, that must mean it'll be $600 ... I'm mean it's for pro's, we humble peedons don't need wideband!

Tuner in Training
    Naw man, no need for wideband. That's how i'm planning on tuning my duramax this weekend. Do a couple pulls and read the spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie1134 View Post
    And in that 14 years, I'm sure there wasn't any updates? None? I bet you every one of these HP Tuners people have private yachts, and private islands, and the rest of this massive fortunate was spent on hookers and blow? That's the only logical conclusion?
    Or, maybe, just maybe, they are not releasing the price on this pro expansion hub, until they have invested hours/days/months figuring out how to make it work for us? This is all hypothetical on my part of course. Because I don't work for HP Tuners. I wish I did though. Because I want private yachts and private islands and dash of hookers and blow.
    Wtf. Now I'm upset. I was not given a private yacht or private island. Going to have to have a talk with my superiors...

Quote Originally Posted by Chainyanker View Post
    Awe come on, it's obvious they are not shady, maybe greedy, but not shady!

Race cars not yachts ... Private NHRA level race shops not islands

So the $300 price point is way off, that must mean it'll be $600 ... I'm mean it's for pro's, we humble peedons don't need wideband!
    I'd love a private NHRA level race shop. You're right, we should probably make it $1000 just to be sure they can pay me enough to do that
    In all honesty, we're aware of the need to keep these things as cheap as we can without sacrificing quality.

I tuned for a couple of years before working for HPTuners, I'm well aware of the need for a wideband logging solution for EVERYONE. We've had people working weekends since we knew the MPVI1 could no longer be built to get an affordable solution out there.
    Obviously its not available yet, but we're working on it, and we want to launch with a quality product that exceeds everything the 14 year old hardware had.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    we are shady, do not trust us. Ha ha seriously, we would like the price to be less than $100 for new purchasers so the yacht will be a very small one for this product, maybe a paddle boat in a pond

Also, there is no MPVI2 Pro, just an MPVI2 and a Pro Feature Set (software license) we haven't sold yet because it's not available. We are being as upfront as we can be at this time, just as we always have been. We are actively telling people with MPVI Pro's not to upgrade until they are convinced they need to, otherwise we would just say yeah upgrade, ooops! forgot to tell you there's no EIO or datalogging features, sucker! I'll probably be in trouble for giving you this pricing hint, but $300 is way off, so now you know.
    I'm reporting you for giving away that pricing hint. Try having fun on your yacht now!
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Potential Tuner
    I don't mind the price increase, it's understandable. What I do mind is the absolutely terrible customer service seen here on the forums, the lack of notification and lack of thought into the release of the MPVI2. You have employees that don't know what your licensing cost is, you have no idea when you'll be shipping these again, no idea when the expander hub will be available and ignore posts. You've now put your customers into a situation where they cannot buy an MPVI1 from you and it can no longer be repaired. If their device dies, they have to wait for an MVPI2 to actually be in-stock to ship and they will not be able to use any of the pro features nor their widebands/external inputs as they did before. Why did you release the MPVI2 and discontinue the MPVI1 when it wasn't ready to be released? Very poor planning and communication, this isn't just effecting your business, it's effecting the business of your customers, we need some answers.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    Wtf. Now I'm upset. I was not given a private yacht or private island. Going to have to have a talk with my superiors...
    I'd love a private NHRA level race shop.
    To late, they already gotcha, no incentive to give it now!

Quote Originally Posted by bahn View Post
    I don't mind the price increase, it's understandable. What I do mind is the absolutely terrible customer service seen here on the forums, the lack of notification and lack of thought into the release of the MPVI2. You have employees that don't know what your licensing cost is, you have no idea when you'll be shipping these again, no idea when the expander hub will be available and ignore posts. You've now put your customers into a situation where they cannot buy an MPVI1 from you and it can no longer be repaired. If their device dies, they have to wait for an MVPI2 to actually be in-stock to ship and they will not be able to use any of the pro features nor their widebands/external inputs as they did before. Why did you release the MPVI2 and discontinue the MPVI1 when it wasn't ready to be released? Very poor planning and communication, this isn't just effecting your business, it's effecting the business of your customers, we need some answers.
    If your interface needs repairing or replacing please contact support, we will get you up and running.

We planned the soft launch and slow rollout this way, it was entirely our decision. We purposely didn't email all existing customers, we did email all dealers in advance. Most shops said they would take the new vehicle support for the extra $100 run both interfaces side by side if they could return their MPVI Pro later for free and combine everything rather than wait for expander hub. So that's exactly what we did. We've done this before in 2006 when we launched the MPVI Pro/Std, people complained we switched overnight from old to new, this time we gave 2 weeks, people complained they couldn't order for 2 weeks and people complained they just bought an MPVI Pro 2 weeks ago, people complained we didn't email everyone to upgrade, people complained we launched MPVI2 without expander hub. Thankfully, the majority of people are VERY happy we have announced support for half a dozen new manufacturers over the last few weeks. I personally have been on the forums giving as many answers as I can. I own the company we're running here, I care about all our customers and get annoyed when even one isn't happy or thinks they have been treated unfairly, but we have to keep perspective. We make decisions that naturally don't please everyone, we put out fires, we fix broken things, we make new stuff and we keep moving forward. We don't have yachts or private jets, we are normal guys who run a small fun company and we say we have the best employees in the industry who come to work everyday and kick ass.
    I count sheep in hex...

If your interface needs repairing or replacing please contact support, we will get you up and running.

We planned the soft launch and slow rollout this way, it was entirely our decision. We purposely didn't email all existing customers, we did email all dealers in advance. Most shops said they would take the new vehicle support for the extra $100 run both interfaces side by side if they could return their MPVI Pro later for free and combine everything rather than wait for expander hub. So that's exactly what we did. We've done this before in 2006 when we launched the MPVI Pro/Std, people complained we switched overnight from old to new, this time we gave 2 weeks, people complained they couldn't order for 2 weeks and people complained they just bought an MPVI Pro 2 weeks ago, people complained we didn't email everyone to upgrade, people complained we launched MPVI2 without expander hub. Thankfully, the majority of people are VERY happy we have announced support for half a dozen new manufacturers over the last few weeks. I personally have been on the forums giving as many answers as I can. I own the company we're running here, I care about all our customers and get annoyed when even one isn't happy or thinks they have been treated unfairly, but we have to keep perspective. We make decisions that naturally don't please everyone, we put out fires, we fix broken things, we make new stuff and we keep moving forward. We don't have yachts or private jets, we are normal guys who run a small fun company and we say we have the best employees in the industry who come to work everyday and kick ass.
    Those are acceptable responses. Its still more than i really wanted to spend, but least i know where .ill be at upfront. For the record i don't think u guys are shady. I was just making a point. Ive seen companies double thier prices overnight before
    Usually to up revenue because its for sale. Next time u need a new plastic housing, give me a call. I do custom injection molding and can probably beat anyones price.

I didn't see this asked, (or I missed it) but for how long will legacy support for the old hardware occur?
    Level 3 Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram technician
    20 years experience

Quote Originally Posted by Monzsta View Post
    I didn't see this asked, (or I missed it) but for how long will legacy support for the old hardware occur?
    VCM Suite will continue to support the MPVI Pro and Std for years to come on the applications that it supported at the launch of the MPVI2 (and a few extras that got thru). We haven't even had a discussion about end-of-support or end-of-life, however we will not be offering any new vehicle support on the older hardware.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner

Thank you for the response Chris, as I said I understand the price increase and the increase is definitely worth it for the added vehicle support. I also understand that users who already have an MPVI1 Pro this soft roll out isn't an issue. The soft roll out does however hamper individuals or companies like myself whom are just now purchasing HPTuners (just bought an MPVI2 from a dealer). Not being able to add external inputs without hijacking the EGR or AC Pressure switches is really a turn off for me. The lack of the expander without an ETA makes new customers like myself wary, if there was an ETA and an approximate cost I wouldn't be as worried. The lack of an ETA or cost makes me wonder if you're not sure what it will cost you at this stage which would mean you're in the early stages of development for the expander and its release will be months from now. Does that make sense? Off-topic but if I send a bin in to support can you convert it to an HPT for me? I've modified some subroutines in assembly on a bin for our race car that allows the A/C pins on the ecu to control a methanol injection system (no need for AC in a race car).

Quote Originally Posted by bahn View Post
    Thank you for the response Chris, as I said I understand the price increase and the increase is definitely worth it for the added vehicle support. I also understand that users who already have an MPVI1 Pro this soft roll out isn't an issue. The soft roll out does however hamper individuals or companies like myself whom are just now purchasing HPTuners (just bought an MPVI2 from a dealer). Not being able to add external inputs without hijacking the EGR or AC Pressure switches is really a turn off for me. The lack of the expander without an ETA makes new customers like myself wary, if there was an ETA and an approximate cost I wouldn't be as worried. The lack of an ETA or cost makes me wonder if you're not sure what it will cost you at this stage which would mean you're in the early stages of development for the expander and its release will be months from now. Does that make sense? Off-topic but if I send a bin in to support can you convert it to an HPT for me? I've modified some subroutines in assembly on a bin for our race car that allows the A/C pins on the ecu to control a methanol injection system (no need for AC in a race car).
    I gave the price estimate up above, i can't give a time estimate sorry.
    I count sheep in hex...