Thread: LTFT are cycling between being close to being polar opposites

Tuner in Training

LTFT are cycling between being close to being polar opposites

I have a Jeep with a 2008 6.1L hemi. It periodically runs like crap. Seems to occur after I stop for about 30 -45 minutes. But during the last run I noted that my Long Term Fuel Trims were acting funky. Bank 1 would be at +25 and Bank 2 would be at -32. Then they would adjust to 3 for bank 1 and 2.5 for bank 2 and then a few seconds change back. I have had the O2 sensors changed (several times) so I don't think it is an O2 sensor but I could be wrong. I have attached the latest log that shows the stuff. I also show IAT being high 145 deg F. Ambient is about 75 deg F. The sensor reacts to temp changes but appears to be consistently running high. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In the log, between about 6 and 7 minutes elapsed time was a good example of the problem. It looks like the O2 sensors are very slow, the stft's are moving 5-10% to get the O2 mv to switch, plus bank 2 is running about 200mv higher than bank 1. The ltft for bank 1 stays mostly positive and bank 2 mostly negative throughout the log. Both bank's s2 O2 sensors are following the s1 sensors -- Looks like bad cats, or no cats, and if the rear O2 sensors are enabled for closed loop that could be bad.

It might be more than one problem. Any DTC's? Was it good for years, or is a new hemi swap and working out the bugs? Does it have the stock exhaust O2 locations? Cats? Are the VE tables for bank 1 & 2 are the same? Is the VE bank 2 disable set to "yes"? What brand & part number O2 sensors?

Advanced Tuner
    split trims are in indication of bad cats, depending on the exhaust config, the rear 02's following the front 02's is also an indication of bad cats.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds a lot like what was happening in this post, but you don't have a PCM that would require un-locking?

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-trims-be-wild

Tuner in Training
    This has actually been a long story and the O2 sensors have been changed several times. I read the PCM trims wild post and the PCM did go through a Diablosport tune prior to going to HPTuners. The VE bank 2 disable was set to yes and I changed it to enable. I believe it is stock O2 sensor location. I bought this conversion from a dealer used so I don't know the whole history but I have got the impression that it has been a problem for awhile. When I contacted the dealer I bought it from he was adamant that the O2 sensor were good. I had them changed anyway by another dealer. Sounds like you guys think it is bad Cats. I'll see about getting the downstream O2 sensors logged also to see if they are tracking the front. Don't think they are but I will try and check.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Sounds a lot like what was happening in this post, but you don't have a PCM that would require un-locking?

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-trims-be-wild
    That's very similar, and strange, set of symptoms...

Advanced Tuner
    Based on possible resolutions in the wild trims post, I think I'd try leaving the PCM unhooked from the harness for a few days?