Thread: Dyno Tune not impressed. What do you guys think? Think I was had.

Potential Tuner

Dyno Tune not impressed. What do you guys think? Think I was had.

So I just got my truck back from dyno shop. Not impressed at all with numbers. Just over 300hp and torque. I had a base tune set in truck to get around but wasn't sure if I was on right track to fine tune it. So I decided to pony up the money and have it dyno tuned at local shop. I compared my tune to his tune and he changed very little and only gained 3 hp over what I had. VE table was not even touched. Spark table was not change I attached both tunes. I installed a L96 Gen IV motor converter to Gen 3. Has L96 intake 87m throttle body with x link. Injectors are 12613411. Long tube headers and TSP Stage 2 low liftcam.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Wow, you got ripped.
    Didn't even touch the torque management.

Potential Tuner
    Yeah thought I did. Wasn't looking for record numbers but thought it would do a little better than it did. Doesn't seem like he cared at all. Just through it on dyno changed a few things then went on his way.

Tuner in Training
    Am I mistaken or wasn't torque management on both eng. and trans, as well as abuse mode alreadey disabled. Pe was already adjusted to do it's job as well. This same stuff give me 20 ish hp and tq. From what I have learned here and self teaching, the base was pretty good already. This is right where my lq4 truck is on tuning and it is the best I have found thus far. There might be a pinch more in timing advance but still getting some KR even with best available pump gas so not much more to be expected. Looks like it was tuned before and it still is. ?? I would like to see and hear more before a tuner gets called out in a public arena...

Potential Tuner
    That is why I have stated no names. I am new to tuning as well and wasn't sure how off my base was. But I would've have thought he would have tweaked the ve table some and possibly timing. But hey maybe I did better than I thought. If not would definitely like to know where I should make some changes.

Potential Tuner
    Here is a scan log of my drive home
    Attached Files Attached Files

Pretty disappointing that they won't even fix the part throttle tuning that needs work. Your fuel trims stay lean when on the throttle too at certain points, +8-13 at least. Once you get on it more they stay lean at +13-15.

Without a wideband in the logs it's hard to say how close the commanded to actual AFR is but just with stuff I do, going richer at 12.3ish instead of 12.7-12.8 made a tiny bit better torque and was safer in my eyes.

I can't view the tune on this computer but if you have heavy wheels and tire that will rob more power than you think.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    So just got off the phone with tuner. He said he just did a maf tune and didn't correct anything with the VE table. Said he will do that if I want but didn't see a need in it since the computer will correct it. Let me know if I'm wrong but if the computer would correct for this wouldn't my fuel trims be close to zero and not running lean. What are your guys thoughts on this.

Tuner in Training
    Don't LTFt #'s reflect what they need to do to correct for the shortcomings of an improper the ve table. I don't think they change the table just change the output to the injectors and then tell you what they are doing.
    Last edited by Doug Doty; 08-13-2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Cause I couldn't make sense of my own words !!

Seems more like a tooner than a tuner if that was his response. Lots of places are just in it for the quick buck and to ship cars in an out as fast as they can while charging a hefty fee. Only doing a half ass tune is just stealing peoples money.

Why would you make the computer do more work than it should just because you are too lazy to take the time to properly calibrate it. Look at a good factory calibration with a good running engine, you won't see a log of those pulling or adding in excessive amounts of fuel to correct itself.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by brry82 View Post
    So just got off the phone with tuner. He said he just did a maf tune and didn't correct anything with the VE table. Said he will do that if I want but didn't see a need in it since the computer will correct it. Let me know if I'm wrong but if the computer would correct for this wouldn't my fuel trims be close to zero and not running lean. What are your guys thoughts on this.
    He sounds like a Ford tuner that "now tunes GM". They are kind of obsessed with the MAF (only) and concurrently pretending the VE is "just not needed" or something along those lines. Yes this is a generalization, but I've worked behind a lot of other tuners over the years.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    why did he change the ETC area scaler to 0.0204 from 0.0170 with the 87mm truck TB?