Thread: Is anyone else having MONSTER issues with their HPTuners?

Senior Tuner

Is anyone else having MONSTER issues with their HPTuners?

Ever since the 4.x and beta rollout with new interfaces.

I had an issue with my interface (MVPI1) the female USB port was basically wore out contacts inside wouldnt make contact most of the time. Bricked a few computers before I figure out what was going on. After months of going back and forth with them eventually being told I couldnt even get a replacement interface Id have to get MVPI2 Chris finally stepped in and get me a new interface

That one from day one has had issue, only port 2 of the input ports seems to work properly, with nothing plugged in 3 of the others show some kind of voltage just sitting there which throws off any wideband inputs you try to use on them. Not very happy about that, but at least I could flash stuff and try to get caught up. Now Im having serious issues flashing/reading etc. Ive had 5 cars this last week I was able to download programs (with a hangup or two couple times) but then uploading even that program would fail? Bunch of x7F errors and others. First I thought they were all vehicle related problems, but some of these even showed their heads on my benchtop harness with a regulated power supply. A couple of these I cant even read now. A couple finally connected after many attempts and started Write Calibrations and the software program itself crashed - which shouldnt be an issue to recover, happened hundreds of times over the years pull it back up reflash no problem? This morning an ECU I flashed a base tune into month or two back... I cant even download the program out of it "Request Download Timeout"? I was on Beta .41something for couple weeks working fine - even updated this morning and still cant download even out of this one.

Anyone have any ideas or where to start, this is a brand new laptop, clean install because I thought there might have been virus on old one. Wild goose chase.
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Do you still have the MPVI1 ? The USB port can easily be repaired
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Do you still have the MPVI1 ? The USB port can easily be repaired
    Takes about 5 Minutes. Get the part from Mouser.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    I know you say your computer is new but is there a chance the USB port is dirty? I clean mine every few months with alcohol / swabs and rebend all the prongs out with a pic.

Also if I have a bad flash I chunk that usb and only use new USB cables to tune. They are cheap enough to not worry about cleaning or fussing about when they stop working perfectly.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Takes about 5 Minutes. Get the part from Mouser.
    That's exactly what I do
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Also having this issue and bricked two ecms, mine happens to fail mid write , never had these issues prior and dont wanna be buying everyone new ECMs.
    Last edited by SpudzysSpeedShop; 09-17-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Updated to 4.xx. from 3.36. Now there are PID's missing when using scanner standalone..went back to 3.36 and scanner PID's are back...looks like a bug in 4.xxx. sticking with 3.36...
    Thanks Richard

Quote Originally Posted by novaman996 View Post
    Updated to 4.xx. from 3.36. Now there are PID's missing when using scanner standalone..went back to 3.36 and scanner PID's are back...looks like a bug in 4.xxx. sticking with 3.36...
    Please open a support ticket so we can solve this issue for you.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Senior Tuner
    Anyone needing a source for the part look here.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-really-crappy

Senior Tuner
    Yes, its a new MVPI1 that Keith stepped in and finally sent to replace mine, but this one has been full of issues since day one. 3 of 4 input pins are useless with some kind of bleed through voltage happening and I havent gotten any resolution with that through support. Plug wideband into the port that actually has 0 voltage resting and the others slowly creep voltage up, all at different values

Alvin it was a brand new laptop two weeks ago, issue follow no matter which of the 3 USB ports I use however.

My data logging software even started crashing recently, there was one data channel every time i tried to add it would crash it immediately. Wish i remembered what it was but after 3 extra hours fighting with tuning a car dealing with it I went home and could remember the exact channel next day. I have read programs out in 5 different ECUs, in different vehicles and with my bench harness, and cant write them right back in??? New one today wouldnt read in vehicle, so put on my bench harness read fine, and then when I went back to flash in after changing idle from 800 to 801 just to test, program crashed when I hit Write Changes 3 times in a row. THey asked if I could send an ECU in.. but that doesnt test anything with my cable/software which is the obvious problem as Ive written to all of these before without issue
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

I hate updating to a new software revision.for any kind of software..there is always bugs in it...I was trying to log some data at the racetrack and lost my entire day of data logging because I updated my software to 4.0..I'm pissed...so I'm sticking to 3.6..period...I'm going to let somebody else be the ginypig on this one...thanks