Thread: Idle table RPM Follower and Throttle Follower values, what exactly do they do??

Potential Tuner

Idle table RPM Follower and Throttle Follower values, what exactly do they do??

Does anyone know just how the Idle RPM Follower Decrement Coefficient and Decrement Step tables work? I gather these are values put into some sort of algorithm which control rate of RPM drop but I'd really like to understand in what way so I know if bigger or smaller values are what I want here, and just how strongly these table values influence rate of RPM drop at higher RPM and throttle pedal 0% (i.e. when clutch is in to shift, or when blipping the throttle and watching the tach drop back down to idle). Same for the Idle Airflow Throttle Follower Torque and Airflow Stepdown tables. Among these tables the only one that I've really found much mention is the Airflow Throttle Follower Torque table where negative values apparently will force the throttle plate to close more quickly and I've been gradually making the table values more and more negative above 800rpm......this seems to have given me some of what I'm after but I've done it along with other changes so I"m not sure how much of the faster return to idle I've achieved is everything combined.

I'm working on my 2013 Camaro SS M6 tune, trying to get snappier return to idle response mostly during gear shifts, but also generally I find the car is tuned to returned to idle very slowly under all circumstances.....this is all by intent by the factory for emissions reasons I understand but it drives me batty having to shift with the RPM's staying high or having to shift slowly if I want RPM's to better match where they'll be when I let the clutch back out in the next higher gear.

After reading gobs of forums and tuning sites and logging and adjusting all the obvious stuff (lowering airflow final min, lowering advance in the low load (c/cyl) base and idle spark tables first at all rpm, and then dialing back to just 1200rpm and lower since doing all rpm cost me a few mpg on level ground cruise, enabling and dialing in CFCO and DFCO, making more negative the negative values of idle proportional airflow) I've improved it to where I'm pretty satisfied, but I still feel like those follower tables may be the magic bullet.

Tuner in Training
    I have the same questions, has anybody figured this out?

Potential Tuner
    Oddly when I called HPTuner support about this and told them nobody on the forum seems to know, explained the question and the tech support guy said they have no idea, they just code the software but don?t actually know what the various field values mean or do. Was that just a ?we?re not here to help you tune your car? response or is it really possible they have no idea what half the things they build into the software actually do?