Thread: Need an E38 base tune for an LY6 VVT delete

Tuner in Training

Need an E38 base tune for an LY6 VVT delete

Hey folks.

I am looking for a base tune to fire up a 2007 Yukon XL LY6 motor in my Jeep CJ7. I?m doing a VVT delete and installing a BTR Stage 2 truck cam (and valvetrain refresh).

My tuner has been struggling to eliminate a ?won?t rev past 4000 rpm? issue that is related to the fact that the motor was never mated to a manual transmission.

The motor is stock except for the cam and headers. It?s got a 5 speed manual transmission and currently no VSS. Specs on the cam -

212/218 .553/.553 113+2

I did some repository searching, but honestly I?m not sure what to look for. I need something to fire it up and drive with that won?t damage anything so I can either get it to a tuner that is 30 miles away or have someone here work on an email tune.

Thanks for any input. I appreciate the collective here for sure.
    Last edited by CJ7LS; 01-14-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Clarification

You really do not have to do much here.

Also the LY6 is a 6.0 engine and not something you'd find a half ton tahoe. I assume you maybe meant either the LMG, LC9 or LY5 for the 5.3 engine. Those 5.3 engines never had VVT either in 2007, just displacement on demand where as a 6.0 found in a heavy duty 2500/3500 just had VVT in a 6.0. If the engine really is a 6.0 with VVT, you need to set the camshafts under varibable camshafts from "one" to "none".

Hopefully you got the correct cam gear if you switched to a 3 bolt camshaft too.

Find the AFM/DoD stuff in the tune and disable that. Then go over the transmission section see if there is anything related to abuse modes or torque mngt, you'll probably want to disable those to the engine will run okay and rev.

Also you will need to disabled the VATS feature under the OS tab. Do this will require a write entire and not a calibration only write so the change will work.

Past that it would run just fine because the camshaft is not very big. No heavy throttle but it should run okay. Don't forget to run proper GM spec fuel pressure too, aim for 58 psi.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply.

I misspoke in the first post which I will correct. The motor is out of a Yukon XL and is for sure a 6.0 LY6. I should have included a bit more info as well.

It is currently in the Jeep and running. I?ve been battling a ?won?t rev past 4000 rpm? issue for some time as the LY6 never came with a manual transmission.

The hope is that by cam swapping and deleting the VVT I can run a tune from a manual E38 and avoid the issue all together.

Tuner in Training
    go to torque management= torque limit vs rpm = max out ( default trans limit ) 6040
    Last edited by 02 Sierra; 01-14-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Yukon XL came in the 2500 variety which did have the LY6. That is non-DOD with VVT engine.
    That engine and cam will start with the stock tune once VVT is deleted.
    I just put the same cam in a 2008 2500HD, fired right off.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the input folks. I just finished the cam swap and vvt delete and turned off the vvt in the regular tune for this motor. It started right up with the new cam and ran pretty well. I drove it the 30 miles to the tuner and now its all happy and tuned. (I figured out the 4000rpm limit issue and it was not related to the VVT etc - And was exactly what 02 Sierra was suggesting).