Thread: Gen2 coyote in an s197 vct question

Gen2 coyote in an s197 vct question

If one were to do a complete swap, given the change in intake camshaft phasers...would the tuning approach be the same logic as in the s550 pcm? For instance, on the s197 cars intake cam timing is anywhere from -50 to -10 or so....however on the s550's, cam timing is anywhere from -20 to +18 in extreme cases. I know the new phasers are pretty much built in limiters, but would the s197 logic remain the same, and just be clipped at a smaller negative number? Or would the logic change to the s550 logic allowing for a positive table number on the intake side of things? I would imagine it would be just like putting phasers limiters in it, and the logic would be remain the same...but at the same time the mind boggles at some of the calibration strategies that the suits at the Big Blue Oval come up with sometimes.

Advanced Tuner
    I would think if you're using the new S-550 intake cams than you would need the S-550 angles. The new intake cams aren't limiters, they are based on a different technology (mid-position lock) with a different base timing compared to S-197.

So they are ground on a different intake centerline then? I just don't want to make the pistons hit the valves. I know I can start at -20 and use airflow to basically navigate to what it wants but I would really rather have a good logic in mind to implement on first start up. I would have to change EVERYTHIBG in mapped points, distance and bend tables