Thread: is internet required to tune 99-02 0411 pcm?

Tuner in Training

is internet required to tune 99-02 0411 pcm?

is internet required to tune 0411 pcm's? mainly 99-02 gm trucks. i was told i need internet to retrieve credits, and that some newer cars require internet to be flashed. but im mostly interested in 99-02. the reason i ask is i dont have internet where i live, so im hoping id be able to bring my laptop to my job to retrieve the credits, and then tune the car at home. does that sound doable? thank you.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    MPVI1-no

MPVI2-yes
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    ok thank you. i was planning on the mpvi2 so that wont work for me . is there anywhere to still get the mpvi1? i thought it was unavailable new anymore.

Advanced Tuner
    Bill, may I ask why you need to have internet to flash such an older ECU?
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    Bill, may I ask why you need to have internet to flash such an older ECU?
    I also would like to know this as I have contemplated buying the newer unit as well.

He has said the credit system is cloud based, so you need an internet connection to retrieve the credits to license a file. The older computer shouldn't need an internet connection to flash it afterwards.

Newer cars in the GM line after 2017 need internet all the time to flash. If this is wrong, please correct me.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    ok the way i read his answer was for the mpvi2, it sounded like you need internet connection to tune a 0411 pcm. so hopefully thats not the case.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You need a way to sync the interface, that way is internet, so internet is a requirement for the MPVI2.

Tuner in Training
    so is there a way i can retrieve credits when i bring my laptop where i have internet, then tune the car where i dont have internet, save the tune, then take the laptop to a place with internet to sync the interface? im sorry for the redundancy but i am extremely new to hptuners and would like to learn it.

Read out the stock tune, save many times in multiple places. Go back to internet access, edit tune, save tune and apply credits to license the file. Once the file is licensed you can edit, save and flash as many times as you want and should never need internet again.

Tuner in Training
    thank you. i should be good then.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DHC View Post
    Read out the stock tune, save many times in multiple places. Go back to internet access, edit tune, save tune and apply credits to license the file. Once the file is licensed you can edit, save and flash as many times as you want and should never need internet again.
    Sorry I'm pretty new to all of this. With the MVP2 do I need to internet to tune or just get the credits? My shop is a metal building with no internet.

Thanks in advance

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by TTSSNOVA View Post
    Sorry I'm pretty new to all of this. With the MVP2 do I need to internet to tune or just get the credits? My shop is a metal building with no internet.

Thanks in advance
    For this application just to sync the credits.

Potential Tuner
    thanks for clearing it up