Thread: Beginners Guide to User Defined Parameters using Tiny Tuners Database

Potential Tuner

Beginners Guide to User Defined Parameters using Tiny Tuners Database

So, first time poster here. Figured my first post might as well be an informative one right?

I love HPTuners, but it just doesn't have all the tables necessary to tune a high powered V6, while Tiny Tuner has more tables than i know what do with, but can only work with bins since HPT files are proprietary. There also doesn't seen to be a ton of concise info out there on how to use the User Defined Parameters function. So here I am to do my best to expand upon that knowledge.

Before I start, I'd like to say that you can really mess up your calibration if you get anything wrong here. Please read through this, then re-read through this before attempting to change anything in your tune. If you mess up your tune, or blow up your engine or something its not my fault (blah blah blah)

What you will need:
    HPTuners with a "User Defined Parameters" license
    A PCM compatible with User Defined Parameters.
    The Tiny Tuner Database (Grab the "Updated OSID table" version) Available here: http://theblattners.com/projects/tinytuner/default.html
    TunerPro (Either the free version or the RT, either will do) Available here: http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm
    Microsoft Access
    Patience

The general idea here is we are going to take the information mapped out in Tiny Tuners database, remap it into something HPTuners can understand using TunerPro, then import that map into HPT to edit the parameters you normally wouldn't have access to.

First off, Identify your OSID. It will be under Edit -> Calibration Details -> Controllers -> Operating System

2019-02-26-1551237628s_1600x900_scrot.png

After that, open the tiny tuners database in Microsoft Access and open the "OSIDData" Table located on the left hand side.
    Now push "Ctrl +F", this will open our find window. Type in your OSID here.
    Change "Look In:" to "current document"
    Change "Match" to "Any Part of Field"
    Click "Find Next"

You should now be looking at your OSID highlighted in the OSIDData table. If it is not, or MS Access says it cannot find it, then Tiny Tuner does not support your OS, and this guide will not work for you.

If it is highlighted, record the "Map Number" to the right of it. In my case, that number is "87". Yours may (and probably will) be different.

2019-02-26-1551237685s_1600x900_scrot.png

Now open the "TableData" Table on the left hand side.
    From here click the down arrow on the "Map Number" column.
    Click "Select All", this will deselect all of the Maps.
    Then scroll down to the map number you recorded earlier, and click it. Ensuring it is the only number selected. Then click "OK"
    You should now only see your number in the "Map Number" Column.

2019-02-26-1551237755s_1600x900_scrot.png

From here, everything you see is applicable to your OS on your PCM.

Scroll over to the "MainCategory" column and select which Category you would like to map out, just like we did with the "Map Number" Column. I chose spark for this tutorial.
    Selecting a Sub-category from the Column next to this will make mapping out the larger Main Categories easier.

2019-02-26-1551237808s_1600x900_scrot.png

Now you should only be left with the Category of tables you want to map out.

In this tutorial, we will only focus on the "Warmup Spark vs Load vs Engine Runtime" table, but repeating these steps will let you map out and edit almost any of these tables in HPTuners.

Now, time for the fun part! Open up TunerPro, We're going to create an XDF file. This is what we will import into HPTuners later.
    Click XDF -> New XDF

2019-02-26-1551238004s_1600x900_scrot.png

Right click in the left pane and click on "Insert New XDF Parameter"

2019-02-26-1551238014s_1600x900_scrot.png

Select "Table" from the menu that pops up.
    HPTuners supports scalars, flags/switches, and tables. For now, we will just stick to making tables.

Now, we need to copy everything from the Tiny Tuners Database over to the New window we have here. Any errors here could result in Tables that don't make sense, or editing the wrong cells in your tune, and really messing things up. Be very careful, and double check all your work here.

Side note, before bothering to map out a variable, double check that it is within the limits of what HPTuners lets your modify in your tune.
    It will say under Edit -> User Defined Parameters in HPTuners. If the StartPosition of your Parameter is higher, or lower than the allowable addresses listed in HPTuners, you will not be able to edit this Parameter.

The "TableName" cell will paste into the "Title" box on TunerPro. You may shorten this if need be. It will only effect the name

"StartPosition" will paste into "Address (Hex)" box with a "0x" at the beginning
    e.g. 88888 will become 0x88888 in TunerPro

Set Cell Data Size equal to ElementSize in the Database

if "AllowedNegative is set to "1" in the database, Check the "Signed" box in TunerPro.
    If the parameter is negative and you do not check this you will end up with very large, very weird numbers in your tables.

If you know the limits of your parameters, put them in the High and Low Limit boxes. Otherwise leaving them empty wont hurt anything, but HPTuners will complain about a Parameter out of bounds.

2019-02-26-1551238089s_1600x900_scrot.png

Click "Apply" and then move to the "Conversion" Tab
    Most parameters in your PCM will need to have mathematical conversion done to them to make them readable in human units. Skipping this step will again end up with funky looking large tables.

Click "Edit Global Table Equation" and then click "Edit" again. Paste the number from the "Factor" Cell in the database into the text box with an "X*" before it.
    Your parameters are the Variable X, and we need to multiply them times this factor for them to appear correctly.

2019-02-26-1551238134s_1600x900_scrot.png

Click apply, then move onto the Columns tab.

Now we will start to set up the physical dimensions of the table, along with its Labels.

Copy the number in the "ColumnCount" cell in the database over to the "Number of Columns" box in TunerPro.
    Set the "Column Label Type" to "ASCII String"
    Copy over the Labels from the "ColumnHeaders" Cell in the database into the individual header boxes in TunerPro.

2019-02-26-1551238207s_1600x900_scrot.png

Click "Apply", then Move onto the Rows tab

We want to do the same thing here that did in the Columns tab, except with rows instead.

so just copy the number in the "RowCount" cell in the database over to the "Number of Rows" box in TunerPro.
    Set the "Row Label Type" to "ASCII String"
    Copy over the Labels from the "RowHeaders" Cell in the database into the individual header boxes in TunerPro.

Side note, you may set your Data Type and Stock Units but i have not found that it make any appreciable difference to HPTuners. If someone knows something I don't about these options, please let me know.

After you have your Rows setup, double check everything, Click "Apply", then Click "OK"

Now that we have a Table setup, lets save it. On the top bar click XDF -> Save XDF and name it something memorable.

Side Note, I recommend making a different XDF for every Sub-Category of Parameter you map out. Putting them all in one XDF will be hard to work with in HPTuners.

Once you have saved your XDF, Simply open your tune in HPTuners, click Edit -> User Defined Parameters
    Followed by clicking the Folder icon, browse to your XDF, open it and you should see your newly mapped table in the User Defined Parameters window of HPTuners!

If you receive a "File is corrupt" error, please do back and double check all your work. Something went awry somewhere.

Hope this was helpful to somebody out there!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cacoukoulis; 02-26-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Since i hit my max image limit in the first post, here's a couple more screen shots.

Correctly Configured Rows

2019-02-26-1551238293s_1600x900_scrot.png

User Defined Parameters window

2019-02-26-1551238437s_1600x900_scrot.png

Newly Mapped Warmup Table

2019-02-26-1551238466s_1600x900_scrot.png

Potential Tuner
    Thank You !!!!
    I also have an 2000 L67 try to install it in my jeep.
    I know TinyTunners has everything i want BUT HPTuners (insert reason why),
    they don't(what to) see the .BINs and i understand why and the have a viable solution but zero docs. (from 10 years ago)
    I have an OBD1 setup w/ TunerPro with chip burner, but id like to move to OBD2
    This will help me 'pay more money' with a little bit of insurance that i can do it...
    Thank You
    -mike

Tuner
    How did you get Tiny Tuner to work with Windows 10?

Potential Tuner
    Extract it and run. There is no install wiz, or anything like that.
    TinyTunerPCMsuppoted.jpg
    Here are the list of supported PCM
    On the above I found an 'old' copy of 2000 MS Office, and i installed it, minus some errors at the end (path settings ) it worked
    [i should add that i am a Linux guy for about 10 year now, i hate windows, but i running Windows 10 ]

Thanks for posting this you had great directions very easy to follow up until this point

"Now, we need to copy everything from the Tiny Tuners Database over to the New window we have here. Any errors here could result in Tables that don't make sense, or editing the wrong cells in your tune, and really messing things up. Be very careful, and double check all your work here."

its not clear to me where or how and what exactly I am copying from tiny tuners, Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am new to all this and want to make sure I am doing it all correctly.

Potential Tuner
    Well, we aren't copying directly from tiny tuners, we are just using their database. That's just the beginning statement for the last half of the tutorial. Keep on reading and it will explain how, what, and where to copy everything.

What benefits or additional tables are you seeing with tiny tuner i have an E39A Twin Turboed Camaro and interested if i should give it a shot thanks

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
    What benefits or additional tables are you seeing with tiny tuner i have an E39A Twin Turboed Camaro and interested if i should give it a shot thanks
    I get access to a ton more tables than what HPTuners provides. Stuff like DFCO, idle control, MAP calibrations, more spark tables, misfire detection. you name it, I have probably mapped a table that can control it.

Using User Defined Parameters was realistically the only way to get my Cammed Turbo Monte to idle correctly and behave the way i wanted it to.

That being said, I don't think tiny tuners has mapped out anything for the E39A PCM. It is just too new. You can still use TunerPro to map out more tables, but you would pretty much be on your own as far as locating tables in your PCM.

Sometimes you can get lucky by googling your OSID number followed by XDF (E.G. "12583381 XDF") and using that with HPTuners, but that is kind of a long shot.

Best of luck with your Camaro!

Potential Tuner
    Also, one odd thing i learned after fiddling with this for a while. Sometimes the rows/columns are listed backwards in TinyTuners Database. If you notice that the data in the table you just mapped looks weird. (e.g. Cascading, numbers in the wrong place, looks completely random) try flipping the rows and columns in your XDF.

An example of this is the last picture in my 2nd post. Notice the random 0 values cascading across the Warmup Spark table and how the values seem to be placed randomly? Swapping the rows and columns corrects this issue.

2019-03-23-1553369658s_1600x900_scrot.png
    Last edited by cacoukoulis; 03-23-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Spelling errors