Thread: Tune help

Potential Tuner

Tune help

hello. Im new to tuning with hp tuners. but I have a swap in progress that I could use some help. I have a 1972 gmc pick up that I am swapping a 4.8l engine out of a 2003 pick up truck into, I am using a 4l80 2wd trans, I have found a file to tune to get that up and running but I have swapped the intake manifold to a new style intake off of say a 2008 chev pick up and am using a 92mm cable throttle body. I am wondering if anyone has swapped something like this and could help walk me thru tuning for the larger injectors and more air flow that the engine will see. any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

What are you doing about the fact that the 2003 engine/computer was drive by wire and you switch to cable?

This is where you open up a can of worms if you are unable to use your current computer with a drive by cable setup.

The only way to run a DBC throttle body is if the computer you have has the IAC drivers on the circuit board. Then you can wire up the rest but you won't get cruise control.

Or you will have to source a P59 computer from a express van or savanna van because those came with DBC up until about 2005. All the half ton trucks from 2003-2007 use drive by wire.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I'm using a computer from an express van to control the cable throttle

Input the data for the larger injectors and grab a wideband o2 sensor.

Read up on airflow model tuning so you can bring all the fueling back in check. The MAF curve and Primary VE table are your main concerns with fueling. Get the majority of that done for idle and part throttle will make any idle airflow or timing changes much faster because you won't be fighting a lean or rich condition.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Okay that sounds easy enough, thanks for the quick reply