Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: L5P engine transplant

  1. #1
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13

    L5P engine transplant

    Looking to transplant an L5P with a E41 ECM and T87A TCM into a 1984 K-10 pickup. I have done a transplant with an older Duramax (LB7) into a dedicated drag truck using the stock ECM/EFILive. We used a PCS stand alone controller for the transmission controls, 47RE transmission.

    After becoming familiar with HPT and E41/T87A tuning options all the necessary parameters are not available to perform this swap.

    I've researched "user defined parameters" along with TunerPro and .XDF files/.bin files. It appears (if I knew what I was doing) I could make the necessary changes to make this happen. I have been reading the white papers from TunerPro...and well I have a tremendous amount to learn and all the basic newbie questions.

    First question, how do you obtain a .bin file for a ECM that can't be read? HPT produces a stock file when reading the ECM because you can only flash it.

    Second question, can you convert a .hpt file to a .bin file?

    I would appreciate your input, thanks.

  2. #2
    HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bill@HPTuners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hailing from Parts Unknown
    Posts
    26,181
    No you cannot convert a .hpt file to a .bin file.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

    A wise man once said "google it"

  3. #3
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    No you cannot convert a .hpt file to a .bin file.
    How do I obtain a stock L5P .bin file to use with TunerPro? Am I thinking correctly on this process, .bin file to TunerPro to .xdf file and then to HPT User Defined Parameters? I am looking for the basic road map to try and learn this process. I understand that its not going to be that simple just want to make sure I'm at least on the right path. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    4,136
    i was looking into this stuff to try and attempt finding tables in the e69 4 cylinder computer but was told hpt files are encrypted so i stopped because i obviously wouldn't have access to decryption.
    i read this forum post on user defined: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ned-Parameters
    but it assumes you already know the table parameters you wish to create and does not lead into anything about finding tables that a user would believe are missing from the current release.
    rdrfabrication@gmail.com
    2016 GMC 3500 Denali Diesel
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

    Ecotec help can be found here:
    LNF-http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...357-LNF-Guides
    LSJ-http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...965-LSJ-Guides

  5. #5
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    i was looking into this stuff to try and attempt finding tables in the e69 4 cylinder computer but was told hpt files are encrypted so i stopped because i obviously wouldn't have access to decryption.
    i read this forum post on user defined: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ned-Parameters
    but it assumes you already know the table parameters you wish to create and does not lead into anything about finding tables that a user would believe are missing from the current release.
    "One of the primary purposes of TunerPro is to edit binary files. To do this, you must first load your binary file and its corresponding definition file." This is from the tunerpro help topics, from what I understand I need a .bin file to start the process. Any idea on how to obtain .bin files? I can't read the ECM. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    i was looking into this stuff to try and attempt finding tables in the e69 4 cylinder computer but was told hpt files are encrypted so i stopped because i obviously wouldn't have access to decryption.
    i read this forum post on user defined: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ned-Parameters
    but it assumes you already know the table parameters you wish to create and does not lead into anything about finding tables that a user would believe are missing from the current release.
    Not to mention hacking the files would almost certainly be a violation of the end user license agreement...

  7. #7
    Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    4,136
    im far from understanding this stuff. i sourced the help of a friend who codes for a living and we couldnt figure out how to get tuner pro to work. we want to know whats in the oem ecu so we can create a list of things we want to add.
    we did try to read the .hpt file in HxD and no luck there either.
    rdrfabrication@gmail.com
    2016 GMC 3500 Denali Diesel
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

    Ecotec help can be found here:
    LNF-http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...357-LNF-Guides
    LSJ-http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...965-LSJ-Guides

  8. #8
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13
    How do I obtain a stock L5P E41 .bin file to use with TunerPro?

  9. #9
    There are sometimes ways to to get the .bin (or part of it) from the factory calibration files. For example, Ford uses a .vbf file for for some factory updates and I have software that converts .vbf files to hex files (and I think .bin files).

  10. #10
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jr2185 View Post
    There are sometimes ways to to get the .bin (or part of it) from the factory calibration files. For example, Ford uses a .vbf file for for some factory updates and I have software that converts .vbf files to hex files (and I think .bin files).
    I have the ability to flash in factory updates with a pass through device using ACDelcoTDS but it doesn't give the me the option to save the file. Ford allows you to save the file or do you get it somewhere else? Thanks.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by DPC View Post
    I have the ability to flash in factory updates with a pass through device using ACDelcoTDS but it doesn't give the me the option to save the file. Ford allows you to save the file or do you get it somewhere else? Thanks.
    Anyone can go to this site http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...?swproduct=IDS and download a lot of the .vbf files. I'm not exactly sure when you would use that since programming with IDS checks online and downloads the latest version.
    Idk if gm has anything like that.

  12. #12
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jr2185 View Post
    Anyone can go to this site http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...?swproduct=IDS and download a lot of the .vbf files. I'm not exactly sure when you would use that since programming with IDS checks online and downloads the latest version.
    Idk if gm has anything like that.
    GM may I just don't know where it is. Usually a few places will sell stock calibration files but I haven't been able to find anything for the L5P E41 ECM. I can't find anything newer then a 2016 for a Duramax.

  13. #13
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Posts
    79
    From my understanding a .bin file is a raw download of what's on the ECU and it's displayed in HEX.. In order to help you view the data in Hex you will then need some software like Tunerpro or WinOLS. In order to pull these .bin files you will need equipment like a KESSV2 or similar. HPT pulls the .bin file and encrypts it. So without knowing their encryption you couldn't do anything with it. Not to mention it's against their TOS or ULA. It takes a lot of money and knowledge to get into user defined parameters. I wish HPT had a better way of letting users access all the ECM tables without user defined being the only option. Make me or a user sign a legal doc saying I take full and all responsibility for these changes I make, and add a simple test on understanding what the changes you're making do. This give the end user all the responsibility legally. Shoot SCT did it! That is saying something lol! JK! Plus i already have to be connected to the internet to flash so you know when i'm sleeping and what i'm eating, what VIN vehicle i'm flashing and where i'm flashing, lol! All jokes aside just let us legally do off road use vehicles! Especially on the best tuning software out there! PS: Can we fix the VGT % tables in Tq management on 17+ 6.7 diesels? They won't loop back to percentage being 100 instead of 1.0. Seriously Thank you HPT, we all love what you guys do for us, making complicated tuning easier for the end user.

  14. #14
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    From my understanding a .bin file is a raw download of what's on the ECU and it's displayed in HEX.. In order to help you view the data in Hex you will then need some software like Tunerpro or WinOLS. In order to pull these .bin files you will need equipment like a KESSV2 or similar. HPT pulls the .bin file and encrypts it. So without knowing their encryption you couldn't do anything with it. Not to mention it's against their TOS or ULA. It takes a lot of money and knowledge to get into user defined parameters. I wish HPT had a better way of letting users access all the ECM tables without user defined being the only option. Make me or a user sign a legal doc saying I take full and all responsibility for these changes I make, and add a simple test on understanding what the changes you're making do. This give the end user all the responsibility legally. Shoot SCT did it! That is saying something lol! JK! Plus i already have to be connected to the internet to flash so you know when i'm sleeping and what i'm eating, what VIN vehicle i'm flashing and where i'm flashing, lol! All jokes aside just let us legally do off road use vehicles! Especially on the best tuning software out there! PS: Can we fix the VGT % tables in Tq management on 17+ 6.7 diesels? They won't loop back to percentage being 100 instead of 1.0. Seriously Thank you HPT, we all love what you guys do for us, making complicated tuning easier for the end user.
    It must be a difficult process to pull the .bin file for an L5P E41 ECM. HPT are the only ones I know of that can tune this platform and it has to be done with a HPT modified ECM/TCM. I agree with you on off-road tuning/waiver but I would bet its not that easy "legally" for HPT. I will most likely need talk to professional tuner to try and make this swap happen. I would like to do it myself but with the current tables HPT offers for this platform I can't do what I need to.

  15. #15
    I found someone selling WinOLS mappacks for these ecus that could be used to add user defined parameters. I didn't ask the price, but I imagine it's not cheap.

  16. #16
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jr2185 View Post
    I found someone selling WinOLS mappacks for these ecus that could be used to add user defined parameters. I didn't ask the price, but I imagine it's not cheap.
    PM sent.

  17. #17
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23
    whats really stopping you from using an older ecm?

  18. #18
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko350 View Post
    whats really stopping you from using an older ecm?
    Donor truck is an L5P. Plan was to swap the engine, transmission and cluster. The fabrication/mechanical swap we can handle. If its going to be waaayyyy out of the budget we will do a 12V P-pump swap, but that's been done before...

  19. #19
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    13
    So I was able to find a .bin file for the E41ECM with mappacks. The problem is that is cost more than $3000... to rich for me. I would still need to create a .xdf file in tunerpro to use the "User defined parameters" in HPT. Time to reassess this project...