Thread: New To Tuning - Running Very Rich

Tuner in Training

New To Tuning - Running Very Rich

Hi, I am new to tuning and I need help with my very rich tune.

I just built a 5.3 LM7 with a mild cam. I started with disabling VATS and tried running it with just that. It would start and die. If I held the throttle open just a little, it would run for a few seconds before dying. It is very rich to the point that my eyes are burning and the plugs are wet. I made some changed to the tune for the cam like raising the idle RPM to 750 and raising the base running air flow among a few other things according to what I found here. It now will start and run if I hold the throttle open a little. I can rev it up without an issue and, as long as I don't completely close the throttle plate, it will remain running. But it is still very rich. What I need to know is where to start attacking this.

I made an original write-up with what I have and was doing. https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...w-to-HP-Tuners

I have the tune with VATS disabled, the injectors changed, and the 4L80e segment swap. I also have the current tune with what I changed for the cam.

Tuner
    Add some running airflow, one of your O2 sensors doesn't seem to be working correctly, try and get it up to temp.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the quick response. Any idea how much to add? I assume you mean to the Idle Airflow vs. ECT table. As for the O2, I currently only have 1 hooked up. I ordered another and will put it on when it comes in. Currently running on an engine stand.

Tuner in Training
    So I just upped the Idle Airflow from 8.6 to 9.6 and it looks like it made no difference. One thing I did notice is that I have a P0341 code. This is a ground up rebuild so I replaced all of the sensors with OE replacements from Rockauto, and it has an upgraded cam shaft from Summit that is designed for this engine. Not sure why I am throwing that code or if it is why it keeps stalling.

Here are the DTCs, I have not removed the EVAP DTCs yet but the system is gone.

0x10: P0200 - Injector Circuit (Pending)
    0x10: P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor) (Pending)
    0x10: P0405 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low (Pending)
    0x10: P0443 - Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit (Pending, Current)
    0x10: P0449 - Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit Intermittent (Pending)
    0x10: P0452 - Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low (Pending, Current, History)
    0x10: P0650 - Malfunction Indicator Light Control Circuit (Pending, History)
    0x10: P0748 - Pressure Control Solenoid A Electrical (Pending)
    0x10: P0753 - Shift Solenoid A Electrical (Pending, Current, History)
    0x10: P0758 - Shift Solenoid B Electrical (Pending, Current, History)
    0x10: P1637 (Current, History)
    0x10: P1860 (Pending)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dan.falzone; 05-14-2019 at 07:34 AM.