Thread: 2016 CTS V Sport 3.6L TT V6 transmission Aisin TL80-SN

Tuner in Training

2016 CTS V Sport 3.6L TT V6 transmission Aisin TL80-SN

So after being told this transmission was supported I was now told it is not. What a bummer. Can someone elaborate as to why it isn't supported? The ECM is so I am grateful for that. It would be nice to understand it and possibly get some resources thrown it.

Potential Tuner
    I also have a VSport and I would love to have support for the trans as well. I believe it's really holding back the car. We are stuck with using Trifecta , which most people use because they tune the trans.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstacts View Post
    I also have a VSport and I would love to have support for the trans as well. I believe it's really holding back the car. We are stuck with using Trifecta , which most people use because they tune the trans.
    It would be awesome if we did have the option to tune the transmission. I am not even sure trifecta is actually tuning the trans. I would bet people think it is tuned because of course when you tune the engine the torque tables are changed and that makes the trans shift differently too. I am not saying the can't or don't have a way to but it seems unlikely and HPT should be able to get this done if anyone can.... Come on @HPTuners!

Potential Tuner
    I?m in for something new. .

Quote Originally Posted by tune2mbt View Post
    It would be awesome if we did have the option to tune the transmission. I am not even sure trifecta is actually tuning the trans. I would bet people think it is tuned because of course when you tune the engine the torque tables are changed and that makes the trans shift differently too. I am not saying the can't or don't have a way to but it seems unlikely and HPT should be able to get this done if anyone can.... Come on @HPTuners!
    I had their tune on my vsport, they definitely tune the transmission. I don't care how much torque table hacking you do, you can't make downshift tip-in points more aggressive that way.

Tuner in Training
    Well that is reassuring then. I would think that the devs @HPTuners would be able to get us some support here soon. I am really not a fan of canned tunes.

Potential Tuner
    Is there any news about support for the VSport yet? It's ridiculous, it's been a good 6 years and nothing. This platform has so much potential and the only tune available is ... no where peak potential and holding us back to say the least with false transmission rumors and not willing to further the platform due to that. Is swapping a different transmission the only way to advance this platform?
    This same transmission is holding up 800 hp in other cars, how is it that people are able to tune those transmissions but not the ones in the VSport? Am I missing something here? It's the same transmission used in a few cars that can be tuned.
    What went wrong with the VSport? How is it any different?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpx View Post
    Is there any news about support for the VSport yet? It's ridiculous, it's been a good 6 years and nothing. This platform has so much potential and the only tune available is ... no where peak potential and holding us back to say the least with false transmission rumors and not willing to further the platform due to that. Is swapping a different transmission the only way to advance this platform?
    This same transmission is holding up 800 hp in other cars, how is it that people are able to tune those transmissions but not the ones in the VSport? Am I missing something here? It's the same transmission used in a few cars that can be tuned.
    What went wrong with the VSport? How is it any different?
    I actually sold my V Sport because of the lack of trans support. One of two scenarios could be likely. Is it possible HPT has a deal with the competition to not release the trans tuning to the masses? I am not making accusations but this could be a possibility. Or maybe the competition really does have a super secret way of tuning these transmissions.
    Third scenario is that the production numbers for these cars are very low comparing to other platforms and there is not a whole bunch of money to be made on this platform because its just math. It is rather disappointing because the car really is a FUN car and has plenty of potential. Trade it in on the ATS-V and have tuning for both engine and trans or swap which didn't make sense to me and there are no guarantees the ECU/TCM would play together nicely.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tune2mbt View Post
    I actually sold my V Sport because of the lack of trans support. One of two scenarios could be likely. Is it possible HPT has a deal with the competition to not release the trans tuning to the masses? I am not making accusations but this could be a possibility. Or maybe the competition really does have a super secret way of tuning these transmissions.
    Third scenario is that the production numbers for these cars are very low comparing to other platforms and there is not a whole bunch of money to be made on this platform because its just math. It is rather disappointing because the car really is a FUN car and has plenty of potential. Trade it in on the ATS-V and have tuning for both engine and trans or swap which didn't make sense to me and there are no guarantees the ECU/TCM would play together nicely.
    Yeah, what also pisses me off is the only company (that I will not name that provides) a decent tune for this car also started the whole rumor of the transmission not being capable of taking more to begin with, which is clearly false. At this point I have multiple sources to back it up that I reached out to. Their basis for this is the transmission slipping and nothing else, when Aisins are known for that in many different cars and trucks when pushing a good amount of power. Yet they still hold up, even this same transmission in the Lexus's for the past few years now at 700-800 hp. A bigger fuel pump, lobe, E85, higher PSI on the turbos could turn this car into a monster, not to mention ATS V turbos, or hybrid turbos that can probably do more than the engine can.
    To top it all off, that company claims they can tune the TCM yet offers no support to us when just trying to push the psi higher, and logs are encrypted so that's pretty nice.

Very disappointing. It's probably going to take a few of us to figure things out later this year

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, what also pisses me off is the only company (that I will not name that provides) a decent tune for this car also started the whole rumor of the transmission not being capable of taking more to begin with, which is clearly false. At this point I have multiple sources to back it up that I reached out to. Their basis for this is the transmission slipping and nothing else, when Aisins are known for that in many different cars and trucks when pushing a good amount of power. Yet they still hold up, even this same transmission in the Lexus's for the past few years now at 700-800 hp. A bigger fuel pump, lobe, E85, higher PSI on the turbos could turn this car into a monster, not to mention ATS V turbos, or hybrid turbos that can probably do more than the engine can.
    To top it all off, that company claims they can tune the TCM yet offers no support to us when just trying to push the psi higher, and logs are encrypted so that's pretty nice.

Very disappointing. It's probably going to take a few of us to figure things out later this year
    It would be great if someone else would release a tool for this. It's a great platform that not many people pay attention to. There is no $ in it for them. I am sure the list is long for support from HPT but I figure if someone else did it, HPT damn sure can...

Potential Tuner
    Put me on the list. I want TCM support for my VSport.

I was a beta tester with "that company" before and I can assure you the transmission starts slipping if you go much beyond what their tune produces. They are not interested in frying people's transmissions, so I'm not surprised they won't "support" this. What really needs to happen here is someone needs to figure out an 8L90 swap, that would solve it all.